OB Speaker designs at RMAF?

2gumby2

OB Speaker designs at RMAF?
« on: 21 Sep 2008, 10:10 am »
I will be attending RMAF in October and would like to hear some OB designs, but I don't know which manufacturers will be exhibiting OB speakers. I thought some of you OB enthusiasts might know who will be exhibiting OB designs. RMAF has gotten so big that I have to prioritize the vendors that I will be visiting. I am considering building an OB speaker, but have only heard 3 so far (Emerald Physics, Selah Audio 3D, and GR Research OB-7 Plus). So far, I am considering building the Clearwave Loudspeaker Design "Tombstone" and the Selah Audio SS3DP.

2gumby2

Re: OB Speaker designs at RMAF?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:40 am »
Those Orions look really nice. Thanks for the link.

Michael V

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2008, 01:58 pm »
Last year, there were a few OB rooms.  The Bastanis Prometheus, Emerald Physics CS2, and Lowthers driven by FirstWatt solid state amps.

I didn't see Bastanis listed on the exhibitor list, but the other two are there.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was another room or two this year, since OB has definitely been gaining in popularity...

By the way, of the OB systems I heard last fall, the Lowther/FirstWatt were by far the best.  That's the first bi-amped system where I've had zero reservations about coherency.

Haven't decided if I'm going back this year, but last year was a blast.

Regards

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2008, 02:21 pm »
I am pretty sure GR research is going to have something OB, in a big way!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56893.msg499699#msg499699

-Tony

JBspeakerman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2008, 01:56 am »
Hello fellow RAMF OB Enthusiasts :D :D

I will be bringing a couple of prototypes.... private room...  just trying to get a feel of what works in these hotel room.. small inner city house....small condo... apartment... environments...

One small... small being of coarse relative..... 17" W  X  28" H two way on a stand... but able to deliver solid bass into the mid 30's ... and one large... 24" W  x 51" high... 18" coaxial floor stander... claim to fame... 95 dbw really with usable bass into the low 30's.   Both are passive... simple passive crossovers.  Both 8 ohms.   Bolt up to ANY stock amplifier source.   Not selling anything... strictly personal demo.  A couple of references to use before I listen to what else in the OB field is being presented.   Will be using a 25 watt per channel class A tuber on the floor stander... and a ICE stereo class D... about 45 or so WPC on the smaller OB.   Should be interesting.   Hope to get some opinions and suggestions.   Would not be appropriate to advertise as I am not in the show with an official display room.  But word should get out.   We shall see.

panomaniac

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2008, 03:20 am »
I highly recommend that you find out what room JBspeakerman is in and go have a listen. 

He builds very tasty speakers, and these two OBees promise to be a real delight!  18" coax on OB, how can you stand to miss that?   :drool:

KS

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2008, 03:32 am »
I am pretty sure GR research is going to have something OB, in a big way!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56893.msg499699#msg499699

-Tony

Quote from: GR Research
for the ball room (30' by 38' room), I have an open baffle line source.  It has a front baffle that looks a bit like the LS-9. It uses the same tweeters (9 of them) but in free air. It also uses twelve 6.5" woofers, but they are quite different than the woofers in the LS-9. These woofers are designed to play in free air. So that is the front baffle...

20" back from that is the rear baffle. The front and rear baffles are linked with an inner frame structure. The sides are open. The rear baffle supports six 12" woofers (all SW-12-16FR's). They are all direct servo controlled of course. So they will have a flat response to below 20Hz with absolute control and EQ system.

In the center of the structure there is a wedge shaped divider facing the front baffle to defuse the back wave and keep it from reflecting off of the rear subs. This wedge shaped center structure will be lined with No Rez as well to not only deflect but absorb a bit too.

...utilizes a marketing strategy that could set a new industry standard for high end audio.....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58608.msg532101#msg532101