Candela Pictures...Finally!

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Re: Candela Pictures...Finally!
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2006, 02:25 pm »
Bunky,

the Ei Elite goldpin tubes are a very good tube of new manufacture

Indeed, the Ei ECC82 Gold Pin is also a very good tube...this is one tube that also saw plenty of time in the Candela in the initial prototype stages...perhaps a little microphonic to the "finger touch", but to me  a small amount of microphonics is not that bad and in some cases good... as it changes a bit the character of the presentation (the magic of tubes)! In some recordings specially good vocals, you may hear an added sense of space and a bit more air around the presentation.

With that said, to my ears I still like better the ECC82 Ei Premium Selected Cryo treated... :wink:

Alex

lazydays

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2006, 05:43 pm »
Gary,

Lastly you might wanta take a listem to David Sanchez's Selmer 40K over at the Kitchen on the 22nd.

I have heard David Sanchez's before...not the one you mentioned but agreed he is very good. Justin Time Records catalog number is "JR 6650-2". Overall the whole CD is very good....however, track 2 ...Blues in F ...that piano (Wray Downes) sounds very special (just right) to my ears through the Candela!

Alex

well if I hadn't nuked my checking account again (twice in six months), I'd have sent you tickets to hear David Sanchez live at the Kitchen. Rumor is going around in my circles that Dave Holland will be at the Kitchen in mid October (I'll be chasing after a certain blond thru the redwoods in CA.)
gary

lazydays

« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2006, 05:54 pm »

I caught it right off the bat when the drums were on the wrong side of the sound stage!

[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't phase inversion indicate + and - swapped around, not L & R inverted? This should mean that the speakers are moving out instead of in like normal. This can't affect sides of the soundstage can it?
[/quote]

I have no real idea about that, but did notice a different placement of the instruments after the cable swap. Some things moved forward and somethings just stayed where they were. Keyboards ar normally to the left of center for a reason just like the upright bass is nearly always between the drums and the keyboards. So you maybe right about the inversion of the phase. My only brush with it was with my Conrad Johnson preamp, and the differences with it are much more subtle.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #23 on: 8 Sep 2006, 03:46 pm »
somebody that has a better knowledge that I do might be able to explain something to me when it comes to the Candella preamp.
    I use two cd players and a phonostage for inputs. That part's no problem, but here's where it get's a little fuzzey. Just what is the H/T position for? I know there's an input (I think it is anyway), and I also know how loud things get when you hook something into it!!!! If you would hook something up to the H/T position what would it be? Does anybody here ever use it?
gary

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 16 Sep 2006, 03:05 am »
Gary,

Just what is the H/T position for? I know there's an input (I think it is anyway), and I also know how loud things get when you hook something into it!!!!

Woh...be careful...

The HT input stands for "Home Theater"...this means the corresponding input is directly by-passed to the output  connectors! This is intended for those who have a "processor preamp" for movies and surround sound (Dolby, DTS, etc.), and want to be able to use the Candela's outputs when using an additional unit (processor) in the signal path for both front left and right channels. This input is intended to be used with variable attenuation (signal volume) control! If you don't have  (or not used) a HT processor... do not used these inputs... :nono: any signal coming in to these inputs from a fixed "line level source" will be to loud (hot) and can result in damage to the speakers and or amp(s) depending on source material.

Thanks,
Alex

lazydays

« Reply #25 on: 16 Sep 2006, 06:18 pm »
Gary,

Just what is the H/T position for? I know there's an input (I think it is anyway), and I also know how loud things get when you hook something into it!!!!

Woh...be careful...

The HT input stands for "Home Theater"...this means the corresponding input is directly by-passed to the output  connectors! This is intended for those who have a "processor preamp" for movies and surround sound (Dolby, DTS, etc.), and want to be able to use the Candela's outputs when using an additional unit (processor) in the signal path for both front left and right channels. This input is intended to be used with variable attenuation (signal volume) control! If you don't have  (or not used) a HT processor... do not used these inputs... :nono: any signal coming in to these inputs from a fixed "line level source" will be to loud (hot) and can result in damage to the speakers and or amp(s) depending on source material.

Thanks,
Alex

Well I was a little ahead of you in the loudness part!!!!! Think F15 in full afterburner!! I did it for about fifteen seconds, before just turning the system off. This is why I made the post that the inputs and outputs need to be labeled in the rear. My speakers are very effecient, and really are set up for tube amps. But doubt if there was any serious damage done.
     Finally played the turntable yesterday, and my findings were right on (even though I'm haveing a problem with the phono stage). Played a CBS Masterworks version of Romeo & Juliet that was extremely noisey. Cleaned it with RL Deep Cleanser, and took about 60% of the noise out of the disc (I didn't really clean it right). Sound stage was huge. Felt like I was about 25 rows back, and maybe slightly to the left of center. I probably wont play the TT again till I get the phono unit working right again.
gary