Where do I start?

kenscott30

Where do I start?
« on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:25 am »
Dear List,

I am new to room acoustics.  I own a stereo and I still live in some what small apartments...I don't own a SPL meter or anything.  Where do I start?  I have been reading this forum.  Should I get a meter?  Is there a website that tells me how to start to look at a room?  I am a Mac user, is there a free/ cheap program that can help me optimize my room?  
I have a few Stereophile test cds.

Thanks for the newbie help!

Ken

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2006, 03:25 am »
Most will tell you that to do any real analysis of your room you'll need an RTA, but an SPL meter is a good start.  That will at least give you an idea where you're at.  The cheap/free room software won't hurt, either.

warnerwh

Where do I start?
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2006, 06:50 am »
Before you get a SPL meter you should get some treatment.  All first reflection points, sidewalls, ceiling and floor. If you have carpeting this is fine for the floor, if not a rug will help. Also bass traps. These can be made yourself such as Jon Risch diy traps(do a google) or store bought ones. Be careful if you buy the store bought ones as there's only a few brands that are upto the job. Real traps, Rives and ASC traps are all good. Real Traps probably being the best buy.

After you do the above you're going to hear a significant improvement in your sound quality and are going to want more. If possible add more treatment.  Another thing to do is use something like the Behringer DEQ 2496. This piece can help alot but room treatments must come first.

You have made a smart move. I've been in this hobby since the early 70's and wish I had considered room treatments before anything else in my stereo. Room acoustics have much more affect on the sound than electronics and certainly wire. Good Luck to you.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Where do I start?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2006, 12:53 pm »
You can DIY room treatments just using 1 inch 703 fiberglass for first reflection points and 2 inch for the corners.  Frankly if you can't source materials cheaply or have facilities to DIY there are a couple of places that sell them cheaper than RealTraps, but you don't get support.

Another option would be Eighth Nerve products (see circle below).

samplesj

Where do I start?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:04 pm »
Quote from: JLM
You can DIY room treatments just using 1 inch 703 fiberglass for first reflection points and 2 inch for the corners.  Frankly if you can't source materials cheaply or have facilities to DIY there are a couple of places that sell them cheaper than RealTraps, but you don't get support.

In fairness to Ethan, RealTraps aren't just 703.  He also uses a membrane design that in testing increases the lower freq absorption.

BTW I'm not knocking 703 at all, it is good stuff, but RealTraps have measured better.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Where do I start?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2006, 08:06 pm »
Agreed.  RealTraps are a totally different animal than just soft absorbtion (by the way - if you're doing 703 or 705 in the corners you'll need a minimum of 4" to be effective in the bass - 2" won't get it).  The Real Traps have a membrane on them that makes them a bit more effective for bass frequencies but not as absorbant to mids and highs.  Just a different animal.  703 or 705 is a broadband absorber that will work all the way up to 20kHz.

warnerwh

Where do I start?
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2006, 10:06 pm »
I can assure you that all acoustic products aren't alike. The ones Ethan sells for what they do are a bargain. The cheaper ones you talk of aren't nearly as effective.  You'd be much better off building your own if you can't afford Ethan's but I'd avoid the cheap ones.

Acoustic treatment has an excellent bang per buck value. Anybody who doesn't isn't hearing what their system should sound like. At least first reflection points should be treated along with a minimum of 2 bass traps in the corners.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Where do I start?
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:51 am »
Thanks for the clarifications.