REL Subwoofer with Nuprime amps - update.

Genez

REL Subwoofer with Nuprime amps - update.
« on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:30 pm »
I was cleaning out my old emails from various companies.   
Apparently I did not catch what was said in one email that I received from REL.

I had inquired about the problems besetting certain Nuprime amps when hooking up a REL subwoofer. 
I own the ST-10, and its on the list not to use with a REL using the direct connection option. 

Here is the email I over looked.  It appears that I can use a newer REL sub as they recommend for the best hook up.   

Hope it helps. 

...................    I hope also that Jason or someone makes a correction if still needed!

To: GENE
Subject: [REL Acoustics New Response] Re: REL Sub with class D

Your request (10356) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Justin Magana (REL Acoustics)

Jun 1, 4:26 PM PDT
Gene,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

You certainly can connect a new REL to your ST 10 via high level (or any Class D amp for that matter) without special adapters.

RELs come with a high level cable that has three connection wires.
The RED and YELLOW wires get connected to the positive amplifier terminals.  These are the input signals to the REL.
The BLACK wire would get connected to the Copper GND screw on the back of the ST 10.

There is some misinformation floating out on the web right now.

1) The note on the NuPrime website is likely referring to old REL models which did not have capacitive inputs to block the potential DC from ClassD designs.  This is not the case for all current REL models available.
2) There is no need for a configuration harness for ClassD. We make a harness for exactly one amp model and that is the BHK amps for PS audio and it is only used to eliminate hum when the BHK goes into standby mode.

Best regards,
Justin
Chief Engineer

Read our newest article Shaken and Stirred
How to Videos: Tuning Series | Connecting Series
Social Media: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Instagram

Original email request sent from me:

May 30, 5:17 PM PDT
Hello...

I understand that you have a configuration harness that enables a REL subwoofer to be connected to class D amplifiers.

But, does it pertain to all class D amps?  I have a NuPrime ST 10. It appears that not all NuPrime class D amps will qualify.

Can you tell me if it can be done by the information found at this link, please? 

http://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/can-the-amplifiers-speaker-terminals-be-used-as-source-inputs-e-g-to-rel-subwoofer/?v=7516fd43adaa

Thank you,   Gene Zucker

This email is a service from REL Acoustics. Delivered by Zendesk
[7OP3X7-7222]

rustydoglim

Re: REL Subwoofer with Nuprime amps - update.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:53 pm »
I updated the FAQ. Thanks.

rfbdp1

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2022, 01:57 pm »
Are the Rel Ti series considered to be among the newer subs?

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2022, 03:19 pm »
You have to ask REL or find out from the spec if it has DC blocking capacitor.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2022, 03:50 pm »
Are the Rel Ti series considered to be among the newer subs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F5WTOu60hE

I've used Rel subs with various amplifier classes for 20+ years.  So I'd follow their guidance (e.g above).  In one spare 2-channel system, I have a Sumiko S.5 subwoofer, which is a copy of a Rel T5 (Sumiko used to distribute Rel).  It is used with a Class D amp and I followed Rel's recommendations.  Since it is a 2-channel only system, it is only connected to the amp via the Speakon connector.  Also with Rel's recommendation, had a drop of hum and connected the RCA input of the sub to an unused RCA jack on an Oppo 103D (in the system connected in stereo only but doesn't see tons of use as I play files via a Windows PC using JRiver) and the hum was eliminated.  I also have a pair of Rel S/812s in the main system (and formerly had Rel Storm IIIs) and use it with a class D amp.