Bryston B60R Integrated Amp Review

Stu Pitt

Re: Bryston B60R Integrated Amp Review
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2018, 01:10 am »
The B100 was a great one. Had it for 4 yrs.

That was a great one.  I don’t think it was around very long though, in the whole grand scheme of things.  I think it was updated to the B135 SST2 within a few years when the overall SST2 changeover occurred.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2018, 01:42 am »
That was a great one.  I don’t think it was around very long though, in the whole grand scheme of things.  I think it was updated to the B135 SST2 within a few years when the overall SST2 changeover occurred.

Yup. Used it as an integrated at first. Driving my Mozarts. Then used its preamp section (= BP16) plus a 4B2. No  internal DAC, just straight amp/pre. A real gem. Still see a rare one floating around on the usies but it's basically gone like the wind.

AnhTuan

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2018, 08:14 am »
I used to use B60SST to drive  Magnepan MG12 speakers for 7 years. Now I am using it as a preamplifier for Bryston 3B THX.
B60SST did both functions very well and they all are very good combination.
I love Bryston characteristics.

AnhTuan

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2018, 08:17 am »
I used to use B60SST to drive  Magnepan MG12 speakers for 7 years. Now I am using it as a preamplifier for Bryston 3B THX.
B60SST did both functions very well and they all are very good combination.
I love Bryston characteristics.

NHSkier

« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2018, 10:49 am »
There are actually a handful of 100s on the market right now if you're feeling nostalgic. Unfortunately, a lot of these sellers are asking too much, in my opinion. TMR sold one with the BR2 remote for $1800 a couple months ago. Others are trying to get $2000-$2500.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2018, 02:21 pm »
There are actually a handful of 100s on the market right now if you're feeling nostalgic. Unfortunately, a lot of these sellers are asking too much, in my opinion. TMR sold one with the BR2 remote for $1800 a couple months ago. Others are trying to get $2000-$2500.

Really a tough sell nowadays, as many seem to believe the "latest is the greatest". Too bad. For them.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2018, 02:09 am »
Really a tough sell nowadays, as many seem to believe the "latest is the greatest". Too bad. For them.
I always found it interesting when a new and improved model comes out, that people have to run out and grab it.  It’s not like there’s a chip in an MK2 model that instantly makes it sound worse once the MK3 model comes out.  Except with the iPhone.  I’m convinced that they make my iPhone slower the night the next one’s released.  But I keep it anyway.

For the record, I have nothing against people upgrading anything for any reason.  If I genuinely had the disposable income, I’d probably do the same.  I just get a kick out of reading people say something’s the best thing of all time, then when the new and improved model comes out, the old model somehow sucks now.  My favorite was the Musical Fidelity owners on Audiogon.  MF comes out with a new and improved model seemingly every 6 months.  That alone honestly turned me off to the point that I wouldn’t even listen to their stuff when I was shopping. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2018, 02:35 am »
I just get a kick out of reading people say something’s the best thing of all time, then when the new and improved model comes out, the old model somehow sucks now. 

It's called self-delusion.

R. Daneel

« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2018, 09:54 am »

I have owned numerous Bryston components ( including the B60 .) The B60 was my favorite  but it was a lot less money then and IMO didn't have anywhere near the competition it does now.

A new B60R ( according to Audio Advisor ) is now $4000 U.S. Except for cosmetics I'm not sure much has changed over the last number of years ( not necessarily a bad thing.)

I simply wouldn't choose it at todays asking price but that's just me.

Sadly, that's what's troubling me. It's 3000 Euro where I live and for this kind of money, there is really a bunch to choose from. Some of these amps are from manufacturers with just as much pedigree and breeding, if you care about that sort of a thing.

I still lust after one though.

NHSkier

« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2018, 02:18 pm »
I try to stay one or two models behind on the used market (same goes for cars), because I can't stand instant depreciation. I actually ended up selling my used BUC-1 for slightly more than I bought it for. It helps temper the wife's reaction when she inevitably asks about the price tag on the "new" piece of gear.

gene9p

« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2018, 03:09 pm »
It's called self-delusion.

Happens constantly on the video market........ :duh:

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2018, 04:22 pm »
My two B60s are still up and running flawlessly - - one in  the kitchen with Boston Acoustics speakers and Magnum Dynalab FM tuner. The other in the bedroom with another FM tuner and a pair of ancient ADS speakers.

Those B60s and my BP 6 were what persuaded me to get a 4Bsst2 for the main stereo system.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2018, 05:26 pm »
I try to stay one or two models behind on the used market (same goes for cars), because I can't stand instant depreciation. I actually ended up selling my used BUC-1 for slightly more than I bought it for. It helps temper the wife's reaction when she inevitably asks about the price tag on the "new" piece of gear.

Same for me.  I’ve never bought a new car nor ever will.  I stick with something 2-3 years old and certified.  Last car I bought was an ‘06 Highlander. Bought it in ‘08 with 25,000 miles.  Sticker price was $28k; I paid $18k.  And a better warranty than the brand new one.  I need another car soon, and I’ll do the same thing.  Whenever I “need” to upgrade my phone, I wait a few months after the newest iPhone comes out, and buy the previous model.  Saves me a good bit of money.