Is digital really inferior to analog?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Is digital really inferior to analog?
« Reply #140 on: 24 May 2017, 11:21 pm »
I owned cats all the life and dogs have much better ears for small sound details than cats.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #141 on: 25 May 2017, 05:57 am »
I have no dog in this fight.  Mrs. HsvHeelFan and I are cat people.

In the digital versus analog format wars for audio,   I prefer digital.  When I heard my first CD player in March of '84.  I was hooked.  I switched to Compact discs then and that became my primary playback medium.  I kept a turntable for about another decade and by that point everything that I wanted on CD arrived on CD.  I just couldn't get past the hiss and pops of vinyl.

I'm an orchestral musician and nothing beats sitting on stage and performing.  When an orchestra is cranked up,  EVERYTHING is vibrating.  The instruments, the chairs, the stands and the stage.  The whole stage is buzzing with music.  There is nothing else like it.  Not even sitting in the first couple of rows in the audience.

The closest thing to a magical musical performance is a great lap or series of laps in a Formula based racing car.  I used to race Formula Fords in the 80's.  In both instances, you're in the zone and in a lot of ways, they're really similar.  Both take a lot of work, high levels of concentration and attention to detail with a lot of nuance to do it correctly.

HsvHeelFan

mav52

« Reply #142 on: 25 May 2017, 11:55 am »
To keep this thread on topic :),, my cat loves jazz.  We tried this test, she gets up when I play anything country, anything that remotely resembles rap ( I hate rap by the way) not staying in the room, classic rock she stays, and any type of jazz she lays down in the sweet spot on the carpet.   Interesting

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #143 on: 25 May 2017, 12:56 pm »
To keep this thread on topic :),, my cat loves jazz.  We tried this test, she gets up when I play anything country, anything that remotely resembles rap ( I hate rap by the way) not staying in the room, classic rock she stays, and any type of jazz she lays down in the sweet spot on the carpet.   Interesting
As your observations continue, please keep us apprised of any notable discoveries as to Kitty's preference vis a vis performers, soloists, musical compositions and/or instruments. I'm assuming she has no experience with live performances or other sound systems. Is that correct?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #144 on: 25 May 2017, 01:13 pm »
I listen to both digital and analog. 

I also have both a cat and a dog.

Some days I like the dog  better;  other days, the cat. :dunno:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #145 on: 25 May 2017, 06:42 pm »
I listen to both digital and analog. 

I also have both a cat and a dog.

The cat's eyes are telling me he loves the person who took that photo...

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #146 on: 25 May 2017, 07:07 pm »
I have a cat. Actually I don't. It's my neighbor's cat. He has dogs and I think the cat hangs around here to avoid the dogs. The owner doesn't feed him but another neighbor does. I made a deal with the cat when he first started showing up around my place. I told him he could stay here as much as he wanted but I wasn't going to feed him. I don't want that responsibility. So he spends all his sleeping time on my porch, on the roof of my truck, on the ground, etc. Sometimes he walks with me to the hiway to check my mail. I live in the boonies.

But lately he has been sleeping on my porch roof. He climbs up the pine tree my porch is built around. I think he's avoiding my music or maybe he's found the sweet spot. Maybe I'll try it, too.  :thumb:

Gene

witchdoctor

« Reply #147 on: 25 May 2017, 07:08 pm »
Digital is a better "value" than analog so in my book that means superior. :thumb:
What does it cost to build a SOA digital vs analog system using Bryston gear?
Now add the cost of buying your current music library in an LP format.
Digital is a better value. SQ is in the ear of the listener and a matter of preference.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #148 on: 25 May 2017, 07:25 pm »
I have a cat. Actually I don't. I think he's avoiding my music or maybe he's found the sweet spot. Maybe I'll try it, too.  :thumb:

Gene

Hedy Lamarr! (Avatar)
 :thumb:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #149 on: 25 May 2017, 07:30 pm »
Hedy Lamarr! (Avatar)

Just to keep this on track, I think Hedy is better than analog, digital or anything else for that matter.  :green:

Gene

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #150 on: 25 May 2017, 09:42 pm »
Just to keep this on track, I think Hedy is better than analog, digital or anything else for that matter.  :green:

Gene

Yes I agree with you.
All her bits are in the right places and with no jitter, either.

(I used to have this one as an avatar on HeadFi -- no, not Hedy, but another very prominent star)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #151 on: 25 May 2017, 10:40 pm »
THAT'S HEDLEY !!!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #152 on: 25 May 2017, 11:11 pm »
^ HARVEY....

OzarkTom

« Reply #153 on: 26 May 2017, 03:10 am »
Kim Novak walked into my frame shop last week and shook my hand.

But at 83 years old she now looks like this.

OzarkTom

« Reply #154 on: 27 May 2017, 10:35 pm »
And Jeff of Tone Audio's take on this subject?

I can’t believe that in 2017 audio critics are still whining and complaining about whether analog sounds better than digital. Really?

http://www.tonepublications.com/blog/digital-vs-analog-tired/

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #155 on: 27 May 2017, 10:54 pm »
Good article, thanks.