Father and Daughter speaker build: "TriTrix MTM"

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Father and Daughter speaker build: "TriTrix MTM"
« on: 23 Nov 2013, 02:10 pm »
Hey all!  :D

One by one, each member of the family has had their respective "caves" build. First my "man cave", then my wife's "woman cave" , my son had his "little dude cave" built a couple years ago, so now it's time for my daughter to have one. You've seen photos and thread of the previous three, so here's the forth room.

Step one: Build some speakers.

Oh....Did I mention that she's going to do most of the work? Yea, not only will she building her own speakers, but she'll be learning how to use every tool necessary to build them (except the table saw).

I'll wait to tell you how old she is. ;)

Here's what we're building:

Link to components:
http://www.parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-tl-speaker-kit-components-only-pair--300-700

Link to build instructions:
http://speakerdesignworks.com/Tritrix_pg_1.html

Crossover schematic (yes, she'll learn to solder a crossover network as well):
www.speakerdesignworks.com/TriTrixXoLayout.GIF

Enclosure design:
http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Tritrix19vented.gif
(The speaker can be built sealed, vented, or as a transmission line. She chose vented since it gets a little deeper on the bottom end of the scale. She wanted the TL, but they'd be too large for her room).

Sawdust will be made today. She's going to be so cute with her pigtail, safety glasses and ear protection. Pics later.....

MaxCast

Re: Father and Daughter speaker build: "TriTrix MTM"
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:05 pm »
That is sweet she wants to build a speaker.  You have a gas flea market system ready to go too?
Oh, and I'd like to see the woman cave you built for your wife, I need one of them too.   :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:08 pm »
Hey Rich!

>> Here's the woman cave thread.

Not sure what you mean about the flea market thread. You mean to sell them, or buy something from?  :scratch:

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:13 pm »
Ah, yah the kitchen.  You have a lot of windows and doors.  How do you keep her in there?

By system I was referring to what will you drive the speakers with.  You guys have some good components come through your GAS flea market thread.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:16 pm »
This is great.  My 10 year old daughter has mentioned an interest, ever since I picked up a set of dead Missions and discussed building with her.  I took her to a local place called The Speaker Shop where lots of drivers and Xover parts were on display etc.

I ended up flipping those speakers, and buying others, but she and I will get to making some sawdust in the Spring for her.

Good job Bob!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:37 pm »
Rich -  Oh, I see what you're saying. Her room is small, tight, and filled with "little girl stuff", so there's not much more room for seperates. For the time being, She'll be running the tunes from her PC. I think the amp I get her will be one of those >> Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath <<.
There seems to be a lot of buzz about those. Although I might "accidentally" press the '2' on [quantity], as I wouldn't mind having one for myself.  :lol:
As her room modifications progress, we might clear up enough space to allow for full sizes components. But for now, this will do nicely.

Mark - Glad I could help. Let her follow along with the thread progress. I dare ya.   :wink:

Bob

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2013, 04:54 pm »
Bob,

I think this is awesome. Can't wait to see some pics.... My daughter helped me build her computer when she was little.....

Where's the Little dude thread  :?:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2013, 05:08 pm »
Where's the Little dude thread  :?:
It's not much of a thread, and there was no building going on. Our neighbor said they had some speakers and receiver they wanted to get rid of and asked if we wanted it.
My son got a cool 'cave' and ended with a 42' LCD to go with the electronics, but he got ripped off regarding building anything.

The wife and I have talked about redoing his room this spring with our tax returns. At that point, he and I will probably build some speakers.
But here's the thread with photos of his "Little man home theater": http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92719.msg921440#msg921440

Bob

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2013, 09:34 pm »
Lepai LP-2020A+

Everyone should have one of those -- just to see how much can be done for so little $$$.

dave

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:46 am »

Ok, done for the night. Here's the progress:

Setting the circular saw guide;

Tightening clamp;

Her first cut;
(After 20 minutes of "how=to" and safety rules)...notice the bright socks.

Making sure the pieces are exactly the same size;
Here's the tops, bottoms, sides, front and back panels.

The back of each vented speaker gets a 2" port, here's Abbie assembling the hole saw;

Marking the location of the 2" hole;

Cutting the port in the drill press;

Things getting too dusty, so the little gal is cleaning herself like a pro..... with the 4" hose from a dust collector.

Here, she has clamped, glued and is nailing the panels together;

Finished for the evening and is proudly showing off her progress,

TrungT

« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:49 am »
 :thumb: :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2013, 12:56 am »
I love this, you go girl  :thumb: I hate power hand saws, dangerous tool......

My daughters mad at me right now and giving me the silent treatment so this really touches me......

jmc207

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:01 am »
Great job!  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:14 am »
I love this, you go girl  :thumb: I hate power hand saws, dangerous tool......

My daughters mad at me right now and giving me the silent treatment so this really touches me......
Maybe start off with something easier, that doesn't require saws?
You can buy speaker kits on PE with pre cut boxes. All you have to do is the assembly, glue, build XO, and wire it.  :D

WireNut

« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:36 am »
:D I'm a 30+ year machinist but I still hate power circular saws. I'd rather cut everything on a huge 5 axis cnc horizontal mill, no kickback.....

Safety first, measure twice, cut once, don't rush.......

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:41 am »
Hmm...that's a hard one to overcome.

- Sharp blades
- smooth travel. ie; make sure there's nothing to impede your progress.

Cheap hand tools are dangerous. You're more likely to hurt yourself with a $30 cheap circular saw that a $100 saw.
There is a difference. I would be MORE than willing to assist you, if you'd like. Let me know.

......By the way....After spending most of the day with me in the workshop covered in sawdust, the first thing she said to Mom after not seeing her for seven hours was:
"EEEEEEEKKKKKK......I LOVE BUILDING SPEAKERS MOM!!!!!! ... I LOVE IT ... I LOVE IT ... I LOVE IT !!!!!"  :shock:

And then proceeded to continue screaming like a little girl.     :lol:

WireNut

« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:50 am »
I'm good. Nice shop BTW.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2013, 04:13 am »
Understood, and thank you.  :D

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2013, 04:32 am »
I'm gonna say it: It put a big smile on my face to see someone being raised without their mind being polluted with a bunch of sexist ideas like "Boys do this, and girls do that." Phooey! I bet most of the members here (myself for sure) couldn't do what she is doing. Think she's excited now, wait 'till you play the finished product.

This hobby could do with some more female energy. Maybe someday in the future there will be at least one lucky audiophile who won't have to worry about "WAF"!  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis: Audiophile Dad Of The Year!  :P

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2013, 04:39 am »
I'm gonna say it: It put a big smile on my face to see someone being raised without their mind being polluted with a bunch of sexist ideas like "Boys do this, and girls do that." Phooey! I bet most of the members here (myself for sure) couldn't do what she is doing. Think she's excited now, wait 'till you play the finished product.

This hobby could do with some more female energy. Maybe someday in the future there will be at least one lucky audiophile who won't have to worry about "WAF"!  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis: Audiophile Dad Of The Year!  :P
Wow.  :oops:
Thanks man. That made me proud and brought a tear to my eye. Thank you.