Is there a Jazz Module 2.0 yet?

CometCKO

Is there a Jazz Module 2.0 yet?
« on: 30 Mar 2012, 07:24 pm »
Hi Duke,
The only Audiokinesis speakers I've heard -- other than the SWARM which are wonderful with my current Magneplanars -- were the original Jazz Modules, and that was a long time ago.  I've been saving up for Planetarium Beta main speakers, but in this economy the piggy bank is filling very slowly.  So I'm considering less expensive alternatives within the line, or even one of the pending kit speakers. 

My question of the moment: Do the Jazz Modules exist in version 2.0 yet?  Last I'd heard the original bass? drivers were defunct, so a redesign was in the works.  But that was before the Pro Audio line took off and other hopefully good things happened for Audiokinesis.

My end goal, as you may remember, is to evolve to my "final" retirement system.  Hopefully simplifying as I go.  I now have the Atma-Sphere M60 amps, so I'm looking for the best speaker match.  Ralph Karsten is very high on your speakers as a match.  And I'm very high on Duke, based on past interactions and help with my Maggies, and the Swarm, etc.  So I'm trying to set a realistic goal, and buy something sooner that I can afford, rather than waiting who-knows-how-long until I can afford the Planetarium Betas.  Hence the interest in Jazz Modules...

Thanks!

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: Is there a Jazz Module 2.0 yet?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2012, 02:37 am »
No Jazz Module 2.0 yet, sorry.  That nice TAD alnico-magnet woofer in the original Jazz Module is indeed now unobtainium, but I've found a couple of other woofers that are in the same ballpark overall and better in some ways.  So coming out with a Jazz Module 2.0 is pretty much just a matter of me rolling up my sleeves and doing it. 

One issue is time.  I have numerous orders that I'm working on filling, mostly in the prosound world, so I don't have much time for R&D.  I try to spend one day a week on R&D, but in practice it's more like one day every other week.   And so far the Jazz Module 2.0 project hasn't worked its way to the head of the line.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2012, 07:23 pm »
I'll bet that Fostex 12" would work.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2012, 08:27 am »
I'll bet that Fostex 12" would work.

Maybe, but it's not on my short-list.  I have a few reservations about it, though I've never actually tried it.  For one thing, extrapolating from the published specs, it looks to me like thermal compression would set in much earlier than I am comfortable with. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2012, 10:47 am »

Keep on truckin, Duke!

CometCKO

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2012, 06:25 pm »

One issue is time.  I have numerous orders that I'm working on filling, mostly in the prosound world, so I don't have much time for R&D.  I try to spend one day a week on R&D, but in practice it's more like one day every other week.   And so far the Jazz Module 2.0 project hasn't worked its way to the head of the line.

Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that the ProSound world is being good to you.

And your recommendation on the Atma-Sphere amps was outstanding.  I'm really pleased with their clarity and grip on the music.  I really do feel as if some of the artificiality of reproduced sound has gone away.  So thanks!  and per the above...  Keep on Truckin'!  I'll keep saving my pennies.

pslate

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2012, 03:26 pm »
I'm glad the Thunderchild is being so goo to you :thumb:
Which gets me thinking. Have you thought of making a monitor using the Thunderchild as a basis of design? It would be a dream if you could keep similar cabinets or parts, and get active or passive models out to folks. Maybe get two markets with one stone as well?

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2012, 06:59 pm »
Dream maker 2.0 :thumb:

Lefatshe

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:01 am »
I sure hope there is a Jazz Module 2.0 so I can move up the Audiokinesis ladder. 

Now that I've been grooving to the Rhythm Prisms for months, I'm thinking about moving up and trying the next step in Duke's wonderful creations.  That could mean the Jazz Module 2.0 or even buying a Jazz Module 1.0 from someone who's upgrading.  Don't see them for sale very often (if ever).  Must be something there.  :eyebrows:

Clio09

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2012, 10:12 pm »
That could mean the Jazz Module 2.0 or even buying a Jazz Module 1.0 from someone who's upgrading.  Don't see them for sale very often (if ever).  Must be something there.  :eyebrows:

Make me an offer I can't refuse ;)

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm »
Just as an FYI...  My senior VP of my firm has been asking me for months to help him put together a tube based system for his office in Boston, so he can listen to all his classic rock on vinyl.    He knows I am a tubeophile and wanted me to help his put it together as a whole.

I really want to tell him to get some Jazz Modules (I think they will fit his size/decor/listening preferences).    If that is a gentle push, I hope so. 

I could tell him the Prismas too...they look good, but are a little more unique looking.   He is pretty conservative as a posh exec.

Of course anything you did with the SEOS would be points in my book too ;).

Duke

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:46 am »
Just as an FYI...  My senior VP of my firm has been asking me for months to help him put together a tube based system for his office in Boston, so he can listen to all his classic rock on vinyl.    He knows I am a tubeophile and wanted me to help his put it together as a whole.

I really want to tell him to get some Jazz Modules (I think they will fit his size/decor/listening preferences).    If that is a gentle push, I hope so. 

I could tell him the Prismas too...they look good, but are a little more unique looking.   He is pretty conservative as a posh exec.

Of course anything you did with the SEOS would be points in my book too ;).

Hi Josh,

I expect to introduce something that uses the 12" SEOS waveguide in the not-too-distant future, and more than likely it will be something fairly tube-friendly. 

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2012, 01:12 pm »
Very cool.  I don't think he is in a huge hurry, and your products seem to be a good suggestion.   

Heck, I might be interested as well.