Best place to sell nOrh speakers?

n0mDePlume

Best place to sell nOrh speakers?
« on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:43 am »
I have some nOrh speakers to sell and I noticed people had posted some listings here, but there is also the Trading Post (which I can't yet access due to being new), and there is also Audiogon.

I sold my SVS sub very easily on Craigslist but no local bites for nOrhs (I'm near SF).

What would you guys recommend? 

Reason I'm selling is the classic "moving to a smaller apartment".  These things are not easy to situate.  nOrhs in a small room definitely stand up and say HELLO, I AM A SET OF BLACK MARBLE HORNS.  I bought a much cheaper setup (based around Energy Mini-Vs) and am pleasantly surprised at how well it works for apartment use at realistic volumes. 

Also surprised at how my new receiver's automatic setup improved the balance of the nOrhs.  Apparently my careful manual balancing was a case of sending a man to do a machine's job.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Best place to sell nOrh speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2012, 02:43 am »
n0mDePlume,

Welcome to AC and the nOhr Owner's circle. Unfortunately, the very reason you are here will soon ban you from this circle! Just kidding!  :lol:

Is this what they look like?

They are definitely something to plan for as they are unusually shaped and weigh 80lbs. Definitely an eye catching speaker and they sound great also for mid-low to highs. I have mine matched with subs.

This is a good place to sell them, but also post on the Trading Post. and even Audiogon if it makes sense.

A few more posts and you should be able to use personal messages and post pictures...

n0mDePlume

FS: nOrh black marble 7.0s and 4.0s
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:39 am »
OK, I'm selling nOrh black marble speakers from my home theater system.

5 speakers: two 7s and three 4s (one is a shielded center).

All come in the original boxes.

I also have a pair of marble stands but I'm not sure how the heck I'd pack them for shipping.

They're great but boy are they space hogs.  You need some serious stands, and you have to allow a lot of space behind them due to the port.  I really love how they look, but after some soul searching I realized they would dominate the space and the aesthetics of an apartment living room.  As you can see from the pics, I had to go unorthodox for the surround stands - I found small, circular black tables at Ikea of all spaces.  10 bucks each... I think that's cheaper than real speaker stands.

I'm selling at what I think is a discount, because the 7s have some "scarring" on the cardboard cones.  I bought them used and the previous owner's wife tried to clean the 7s with a damp cloth or some other kind of water.  If you look closely, you can see bubbles on the surface of the paper.  I can't detect anything wrong with the sound, but if you care I'm sure it would cost some money to replace the glorified cardboard.

Another imperfection is on one of the 4s.  The attachment of the grille to the speaker is so tight that pulling off the grille also pulled the plastic attachments out of the marble.  They go right back in, but they won't stay there without some glue.  I never bothered to glue them, but I'm guessing some epoxy would do it.

Below is a link to a flickr photo set showing the speakers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12492868@N00/sets/72157629382328539/

Asking 1200 plus shipping.  I'm in the SF bay area.

tkp

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:35 pm »
PM Sent

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:11 pm »

SteveSatch

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2012, 02:23 am »
I'd buy the stands

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2012, 04:28 am »
Yeah the stands are nice too - I was thinking the same thing, but in my case I already have two white ones, and they would have to be shipped across the country.

n0mDePlume

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2012, 05:49 pm »
7.0s are still unsold.  I just contacted nOrh to ask which parts to use to replace the wrinkled woofer cones, if I do that I will relist them as like-new.  (Not that this is a hard repair, as far as I can tell it's a screw-in part).

I'll only sell the stands for local pickup.  Shipping would be a nightmare and if I recall correctly, you could get them just as cheap from nOrh directly.

tkp

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2012, 06:41 pm »
Unless there is a way to change out just the wrinkle part of the woofer, most likely, you will have to replace the woofers as a pair (not just one) to keep the left and right speaker balance. 

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-woofers-6-7/scanspeak-classic-18w/8545-7-mid-woofer-paper-cone/

n0mDePlume

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2012, 12:09 am »
Um... I just noticed something.  From the pictures of those Scanspeak cones, they look naturally wrinkly.

Mine in fact look pretty much exactly like this:

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/8/18w-8545-00_1.jpg

When the previous owner warned me not to clean with a wet cloth, I assumed doing so had actually done some damage, causing the cones to look wrinkly.

Looks like these speakers are actually in pretty good condition.  The woofers are each missing an attachment screw and there are some minor imperfections on the front leather, not very visible with the grills on.  Come to think of it, I should try some leather cleaner on the things.

Thanks for that link tkp!