Scotch!!

GaryArthur

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #400 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:05 pm »
I have at least one bottle of Dallas Dhu but I'm not sure if I have two. When I get back home next weekend I'll check and if I have two I'll open one and check it out. What age/year do you have? They closed the doors at Dallas Dhu in 1983 and I think my one or two bottles is a 1983 vintage.

GaryArthur

« Reply #401 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:08 pm »
Just found this thread. Scotch and Audio certainly make an interesting combined hobby. I have been collecting and imbibing Single Malts for more than 20 years. My current collection has more than 300 bottles from more than 50 distilleries. I currently have about 15 open bottles that I am working my way through. The Ardbeg's that are currently open, for example, include:

Ardbeg 10 year, 17 year, Uigeadail, 1990 vintage, and my personal favorite Ardbeg 1974 Provenance (bottled in 1998).

Now that I know this thread is here I will keep on the lookout and make a post from time to time.

Regards,
Gary

koyaan

« Reply #402 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:42 pm »
I have at least one bottle of Dallas Dhu but I'm not sure if I have two. When I get back home next weekend I'll check and if I have two I'll open one and check it out. What age/year do you have? They closed the doors at Dallas Dhu in 1983 and I think my one or two bottles is a 1983 vintage.
I'm not sure when my bottle was bottled. The label doesn't tell me. The label is printed in all gold on white. The '82s and '83s that I've seen have black lettering and gold illustration on white, so I assume it's not one of those,

mgalusha

« Reply #403 on: 22 Nov 2010, 06:54 pm »
Decided to have a few drams listening to some vinyl last night. I have to say that Bunnahabhain 12 goes really well with Count Basie on vinyl. :)

cryoparts

« Reply #404 on: 22 Nov 2010, 08:41 pm »
Just found this thread. Scotch and Audio certainly make an interesting combined hobby. I have been collecting and imbibing Single Malts for more than 20 years. My current collection has more than 300 bottles from more than 50 distilleries. I currently have about 15 open bottles that I am working my way through. The Ardbeg's that are currently open, for example, include:

Ardbeg 10 year, 17 year, Uigeadail, 1990 vintage, and my personal favorite Ardbeg 1974 Provenance (bottled in 1998).

Now that I know this thread is here I will keep on the lookout and make a post from time to time.

Regards,
Gary

I am with you, I probably have 300-400 bottles too.  I am an avid Ardbeg fan/collector as well, I think I have these Ardbeg's open at the moment:

SN2009
SN2010
Lord of the Isles
Uigeadail
Still Young
Blasda
Corryvrekan
Airigh Nam Biest
Rollercoaster
...and others

No Provenance, though!  I wish!   :thumb:

Then there are the Lagavulin's, Laphroiag's, and Talisker's and HP's.  I need someone to help me drink it all, ha! 

Peace,

Lee

genjamon

« Reply #405 on: 22 Nov 2010, 08:54 pm »
I did end up buying one of those 1.75's of JW Gold.  I agree with many of you, very respectable and drinkable.  Definitely not a waste, but certainly not the most refined I've had.  A nice lighter, sweeter flavor than many of mine, so it complements my collection well.  I'm about halfway through the bottle.  Not sure I'll replace it immediately when it's gone, but I was fairly pleased with the purchase.  I don't drink it when I want to truly savor the flavor, but when I want something light and soothing without being distracting (like when I want to pay more attention to the music!!), it's the perfect fit.

~Ben

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #406 on: 22 Nov 2010, 09:00 pm »
Lee,
Man I thought I was crazy!

cryoparts

« Reply #407 on: 22 Nov 2010, 09:04 pm »
Lee,
Man I thought I was crazy!

Yeah, I tend to overdo it when it comes to scotch, especially if a somewhat rare Ardbeg comes up for sale...and, I tend to buy multiples, if I can get them.

Thanks for the tip on Argonaut, I picked up some nice stuff when I was in Denver for RMAF.  Even got a bottle of Tally 175th, don't see those on the shelf very often!

Peace,

Lee

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #408 on: 22 Nov 2010, 09:56 pm »
Anyone here try/is a fan of Tyrconnell? I just picked up a bottle of it on a friends recommendation, and have yet to try it. What should I expect?  8)

GaryArthur

« Reply #409 on: 23 Nov 2010, 06:51 am »
Yeah, I tend to overdo it when it comes to scotch, especially if a somewhat rare Ardbeg comes up for sale...and, I tend to buy multiples, if I can get them.

Lee
I also try to buy in multiples and then if it's not easily replaceable I generally don't consume the last bottle. I say generally because about 10 years ago I bought 6 bottles of Highland Park 1977 Bicentenary U.S. 750 ml. Alas I lost track and they're all gone. Now all I have left is one lonely empty bottle and fond memories.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Gary

GaryArthur

« Reply #410 on: 13 Dec 2010, 07:42 am »

"A Few of My Favorite Things"

Front and  center we have a bottle of Ardbeg Provenance. This is #1134 bottled on 9 April 1974. It is flanked by a 1977 and a 1978 Ardbeg. In the background left is a Martin Logan CLX and background right is a Velodyne DD-18 sub.  Sitting behind the CLX is a Bryston 28B-SST sq power amp.

Enjoy the holidays
Gary
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2010, 02:59 pm by GaryArthur »

acresm22

« Reply #411 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:13 pm »
Am currently enjoying the Laphroaig 10. Love it. Highly recommended for peat lovers. I picked this one up while traveling...$29 at a Palm Springs Costco. Also picked up another Ardbeg 10 there for $48. For my tastes, I prefer the Laphroaig...but the Ardbeg is good stuff too ; )

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #412 on: 23 Jan 2011, 12:43 am »
Any one try this?: Amrut "Fusion" Indian Single Malt Whiskey

From India and #3 on Jim Murray's 2010 Whisky Bible -- overall Whisky of the Year.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1057873&cid=TPV-Googlebase

MaxCast

« Reply #413 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:23 am »

Picked this up a few weeks ago.  Pretty good from a newbie.

I know it's not Scotch but I always have a partner as I enjoy putting the lights on the tree.

EthanH

« Reply #414 on: 2 Mar 2011, 12:23 am »
Tried Bruichladdich's standard bottling - the 12 year I guess? - but wasn't too impressed.  Disappointed as I love Lagavulin and Laphroaig, and was hoping to find another Islay favorite.  Just seemed too thin and a bit boring.  Perhaps I would have liked it more if I didn't know it was an Islay...

Anyone have a good recommendation for a smoky, smooth/oily, and seaweedy scotch?  Got Lagavulin in the cabinet and love it, but I wouldn't really characterize the dry Lagavulin as having a prominent seaweed/ocean flavor.  Have had standard Laphroaig and that is probably closer, so I guess I'm wondering if I should go with Laphroaig CS, QC, Ardbeg, or Caol Ila? 

Currently enjoying some Johnnie Walker Red Label.  I know, I know, but we were entertaining some guests that enjoy scotch and soda.  In any case, I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the Red Label, as I haven't had it in many years.  Of course Black is better, and a good single malt is another league, but the Red Label is not as terrible as people make it out to be IMO. 

acresm22

« Reply #415 on: 2 Mar 2011, 12:50 am »
Ethan, you might want to give the 12 yr Old Pulteney a try. It's not a peaty Islay, but it does have a nice briny thing going. The distillery is in the coastal village of Wick, and is the most northerly of any on the Scottish mainland. It's one of my faves.

MaxCast

« Reply #416 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:36 pm »
iMalt iphone app  99 cents  was $10  limited time only.

koyaan

« Reply #417 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:32 pm »
Tried Bruichladdich's standard bottling - the 12 year I guess? - but wasn't too impressed.  Disappointed as I love Lagavulin and Laphroaig, and was hoping to find another Islay favorite.  Just seemed too thin and a bit boring.  Perhaps I would have liked it more if I didn't know it was an Islay...

Anyone have a good recommendation for a smoky, smooth/oily, and seaweedy scotch?  Got Lagavulin in the cabinet and love it, but I wouldn't really characterize the dry Lagavulin as having a prominent seaweed/ocean flavor.  Have had standard Laphroaig and that is probably closer, so I guess I'm wondering if I should go with Laphroaig CS, QC, Ardbeg, or Caol Ila? 

Currently enjoying some Johnnie Walker Red Label.  I know, I know, but we were entertaining some guests that enjoy scotch and soda.  In any case, I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the Red Label, as I haven't had it in many years.  Of course Black is better, and a good single malt is another league, but the Red Label is not as terrible as people make it out to be IMO.

If you like Jhonny Walker, you may want to try  a bottle of Cardhu. It is the Whisky that gives Jhonny Walker its chocolaty flavpr.

ctviggen

« Reply #418 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:46 pm »
If you like Jhonny Walker, you may want to try  a bottle of Cardhu. It is the Whisky that gives Jhonny Walker its chocolaty flavpr.

I've Cardhu, and you can definitely tell it forms part of the basis for JW Black.  However, I like JW Black better and it's cheaper.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #419 on: 8 Aug 2011, 07:46 pm »

"A Few of My Favorite Things"

Front and  center we have a bottle of Ardbeg Provenance. This is #1134 bottled on 9 April 1974. It is flanked by a 1977 and a 1978 Ardbeg. In the background left is a Martin Logan CLX and background right is a Velodyne DD-18 sub.  Sitting behind the CLX is a Bryston 28B-SST sq power amp.

Enjoy the holidays
Gary

Ardbeg 10 ans being enjoyeed! I can't even imagine what a drop of those must be like!
Cheers!

Imp.