Soundscape 8 Crossover Upgrades

dbx

Re: Soundscape 8 Crossover Upgrades
« Reply #40 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:13 am »
I would agree that better crossover components make for better sounding speakers. Solens are not so great IME, I think Clarity ESA would be a step up, and Clarity MR or Jupiter copper foil caps would be even better but lots of cash. I also like Mills resistors and foil inductors.

I can state that both Clarity Cap MR and Jupiter HT Flat Stack do sound great in speaker crossovers.  They are great high-end caps.  You get what you pay for.

There is also Duelund Caps that rates really well.  But you need to take out a mortgage for those caps.

dbx

« Reply #41 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:22 am »
Dbx

Glad you found the solution

I like the Soundscapes with the closed baffle
Pinpoint imaging

I would spend the "cap" money on upstream electronics

Enjoy your adventure

Thank you my friend.  Perhaps I will do that at a later time.  But the handyman DIY in me wants the higher end caps first - as my adventure in doing this is to refine sound, smooth out the rough edges, and give the speakers more depth or width - to match the caps that I use in my electronics.  That is the reason we do what we do.

dbx

« Reply #42 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:28 am »
I've seen that article many times.   Note that there are no details on how the listening tests were performed, or on whether the results had any statistical significance.  All I can say is that I have built several of my Philharmonic 3's with standard grade Clalrity caps and with various Clarity upgrades, and I have also participated in properly conducted ABX tests of caps.  There might be a difference--it's very difficult to detect it in blind tests because there is so much random variation.  But so far I'm sticking with the null hypothesis.

There may be subtle differences that you can experience after a cap change in your equipment.  It may be any, a combination, all (or none) of the following -
a wider or more depth soundstage
extended frequency response
smoother sound

Any of these may not be apparent all the time after the cap change, but it can be apparent in certain aspects of sound.  Each individuals milage may vary, leading to different experiences.

dbx

« Reply #43 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:30 am »
I find it hard to believe that Salk didn't put enough in there.  You are aware that you actually can put too much inside; right? 
 :scratch:

There was no polyfill in there when I received the speakers.   :o :o :o  They were separated in a pouch from the speaker when shipping.  Yes, I know you can put too much in there.   :D

I was careful to not put too much inside - I still have some left over.

dbx

« Reply #44 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:34 am »
Hey you guys, you could always just do the super duper cap upgrade to one speaker of a pair and then listen to them in mono using the balance control to switch back and forth.  Any real differences should be obvious.  Of course have someone swap the position of the speakers while you are out of the room now and then to keep the test honest.

Methinks the "tire testing without a pressure gauge" syndrome is at work here.  If you don't measure the cap removed with a capacitor meter and replace it with another of identical measured value you are just fooling yourselves.  A capacitor is not the value marked on it, it is the value that it actually is.  For example a 10% tolerance 10 uF cap can be anywhere between 9uF and 11uF and be in spec.  So you can be off by 20% from one part to another.  In some circuits changing the value of a capacitor by 10 or 20 percent will create a circuit change you can easily hear.  This is especially true if the stereo unit or matched speaker pairs had been built originally with selected matched pair capacitors and or resistors and coils.  A 20 percent value change from one speaker of a pair to the other can easily cause imaging and phase shift issues that are audible and this has nothing to do with the "wonder" quality or excessively high price of the so called premium grade capacitor.

Anticipation bias says that when you make changes to your system, especially if they are expensive changes, you are going to like the new better in the absence of true ABX testing.

So how many of you actually use a capacitor meter when cap rolling??? 

Frank Van Alstine

Excellent point.  I invested in an LCR Meter for this purpose.  I admit I don't use it always, but when I do, I get excellent results from Film Caps - and I always invest in quality caps.  I also invest in quality electrolytic caps, but their tolerance varies widely.

dbx

« Reply #45 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:43 am »

Well, don't think can agree here.  They are an easy speaker to drive but do require quality inputs.  They are revealing.  Bad recordings are especially tough on them...

I invested in quality inputs and outputs on my electronics.  The results speak for themselves.

If money was no object and I didn't have kids, I would have a set of Aesthetix or AR amps. (Tube amps and kids DONT mix...)

One other question , how are they set up. Open or closed rear baffle, how much stuffing?  Have you checked the speakers with a sound pressure test to make sure something didn't happen in transit?

Embarrassing story.  My first high end amp was a Pass x 3 .  Got it and killed myself to set it up in a flash.  Was using rca interconnects and never read the manual.  So started listening and wasn't impressed .  Warmed up and while better, still required a lot of energy and flat sound .  Went on for weeks, convinced it was me.  Then read a review where the reviewer talked about how you needed to short the xlr connection to use rca!  What??? What a difference.  Not sure why I ever sold my pass amp!

HOLY crap - sorry to hear!!!  One would never think you would have to SHORT the XLR to use the RCA properly!!!

MY equipment is Solid State.  I never really got into tube gear during my audiophile lifetime.  Salk speaker owners qualifies as an audiophile - right???   :thumb:

I am using closed baffle with stuffing.  I have not played with the stuffing much to see what is perfectly right at this moment as I am enjoying the sound.  I will look into it over the weekend.  I have to also put it on the stand and mount the cones - have yet to do that also.

I have not yet checked with an SPL yet.  I am enjoying the sound so far.  It will be something that I will get to "eventually"   :D

dbx

« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:50 am »
When I sold my VMPS speakers with TRT caps to a guy, he emailed me later and said mine were better than his, but he had another pair (with regular caps) to compare.  Without having two pairs, it's going be tough to remember, and your mind is going to let the $1,000 caps win.

Don't underestimate the powerful instrument of your ears.  If you know the sonic signature and sound characteristics of your speakers, you will notice a difference when switching caps - even speaker cables or wires.  This is dependent that you are elevating the component in question - if you are not elevating, you are moving horizontally, or even de-elevating.

I cannot stress enough for people to know the sonic signature of the sound your speakers produce.  Even when replacing connectors of one of your audio components, you will change the sound coming from your speakers.  For a good or bad result will depend on what and how you are applying the component in question.

Mudslide

« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:55 am »
Don't underestimate the powerful instrument of your ears.  If you know the sonic signature and sound characteristics of your speakers, you will notice a difference when switching caps - even speaker cables or wires.  This is dependent that you are elevating the component in question - if you are not elevating, you are moving horizontally, or even de-elevating.

I cannot stress enough for people to know the sonic signature of the sound your speakers produce.  Even when replacing connectors of one of your audio components, you will change the sound coming from your speakers.  For a good or bad result will depend on what and how you are applying the component in question.

dbx,

Even if we discard the important nature of A/B testing (which I think one should never do!), I think you may over-estimate the capabilities of our ears.  And there are so very many variables involved in detecting sonic changes as to be not possible to make a general statement, as you have done.  You must consider variables at the speaker:  sensitivity, sound frequency, driver capability, amplitude, etc.  At the listener:  age, auditory acuity, audio 'expertise' in critical listening, position from the speaker(s), musical tastes, etc.  In the room:  absorbing/reflecting qualities relative to varying frequencies.  From the front end:  too many to list.

Hearing is not a linear activity.  Some frequencies, as well as amplitudes, we are more or less sensitive to.  And at best, if you find any (proven) auditory changes, they will be just that...changes.  There is no absolute in 'improving' speaker components to improve its sound.  That is, more expensive components ("elevated") may or may not relate to individual speaker preference.

I agree that speakers can be improved, but I would leave the improvement argument at the standards, such as distortion, resonance, and other measurables.

EDIT:  To be clear...when I suggested that one must consider the variables of the speaker, listener, etc., my point was that those variables influence the audibility and nature of small component changes.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2015, 06:05 am by Mudslide »

Rocket

« Reply #48 on: 22 Sep 2015, 06:03 am »
Hi Guys,

I'd personally listen to the opinions of the designer and manufacturer regarding the worth of upgrading capacitors in speaker xovers.  When I bought my Salk Sound HT3's from Jim 2 years ago I discussed whether it was worthwhile to upgrade the capacitors in the xover.  His opinion was that it was very subjective and from time to time he did capacitor comparisons and could not reliably predict which speakers had the upgraded xovers.

Jim suggested upgrading to Blackhole 5 in my speakers which I did.  Occasionally I think about replacing the capacitors but don't want to do so as I don't want to damage the beautiful veneer when removing the drivers and tweeters from the cabinet.

Personally, I'd be looking at the rest of your system.  I understand your set on your current components but it is worthwhile at least reviewing and experimenting and make up your own mind.  The Salk HT3's are not in the same leagues as your SS8's but I use a spread spectrum technologies Ampzilla Second Edition speakers ($9000USD) with great effect.

Each component can make a worthwhile improvement and case in point I recently bought a Bryston BDP-1 which has also improved the SQ of my system again.

Cheers Rod

« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2015, 08:31 am by Rocket »

Kwebb

« Reply #49 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:31 am »
Regarding Anthem components compared to other source components such as hybrid tube, see the attached link for a comparison. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109128.0

Kyle

dbx

« Reply #50 on: 29 Feb 2016, 03:51 am »
I upgraded the capacitors in the Exoctica 3 Speakers.  Long story short - they sound like a brand new set of speakers.

I will write a full review in the next few days.