jmc207

Re: This is hip: the largest photograph
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2015, 02:33 am »
 :thumb: :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2015, 07:27 am »
Stunning. How can anyone seriously argue that we are alone?....sorry. Just my opinion.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:20 am »
Enjoy!

http://earthsky.org/space/video-fly-through-the-largest-picture-ever-taken?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=f4525f06be-EarthSky_News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-f4525f06be-393777149

Cheers,
KP

Hi Kenneth,
thanks for the link, awesome...
The deeper you go into the space, the more what you see is from the past,
since it takes millions of years for the light to reach us.
No numbers can quantify how many stars, galaxies, etc...
There are in the space, because space is infinite.
Can you imagine space ending somewhere, then, what's on the other side of that end.
I think there might be some same or other kind of life in the universe.
We've learned a lot with the Hubble telescope, but that only a microscopic part
of what there is to know about the universe.
We are so small and we still have to learn so much.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam, a small planet lost in the universe... :lol:

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2015, 02:06 pm »
Here's another one that blew my mind recently. This is an extreme deep space picture taken by Hubble in 2013. Each dot is a galaxy, not a star. Each galaxy contains millions/billions of stars.

But here is the truly mind bending part. This is the area of space that they focused on for that picture. Extraploate this into a full 360 degree view of the sky and infinity starts becoming imaginable, as does the possibility of life somewhere. Even if 1 in 100,000 stars has the right configurtation of planets and intensity for carbon based life, and even if only 1 in 100,000 of those has a planet that is habitable by us, there are an infinite number of possible places where life like ours could have evolved. Then again, there is also the possibility of life not like ours based on some other set of chemical reactions.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2015, 02:16 pm »
Hi BobM,
looking at that Hubble's picture,
it's almost impossible that there are no life in one of those 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 galaxies.

Guy 13

Here's another one that blew my mind recently. This is an extreme deep space picture taken by Hubble in 2013. Each dot is a galaxy, not a star. Each galaxy contains millions/billions of stars.

But here is the truly mind bending part. This is the area of space that they focused on for that picture. Extraploate this into a full 360 degree view of the sky and infinity starts becoming imaginable, as does the possibility of life somewhere. Even if 1 in 100,000 stars has the right configurtation of planets and intensity for carbon based life, and even if only 1 in 100,000 of those has a planet that is habitable by us, there are an infinite number of possible places where life like ours could have evolved. Then again, there is also the possibility of life not like ours based on some other set of chemical reactions.

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2015, 02:43 pm »
This is why we love Star Trek so much.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2015, 05:23 pm »
Every spring (Jan 26th in Tucson) the UofA College of Science hosts a free lecture series. I used to go before they got popular, now the auditorium fills up early with people who don't have to work. Now I watch from the comfort of my living room, each lecture is streamed a week or two later and can be downloaded for free at iTunes U.

This year the topic is Life in the Universe. Look for it around Feb. 2nd. The first speaker is Guy J. Consolmagno, SJ, Planetary Scientist, Vatican Observatory Research Group. I saw him speak in 2011 and he is fantastic, if you only watch one, this is it.
http://cos.arizona.edu/connections/life-in-the-universe

The 2015 UA Science Lecture Series explores our Universe at molecular, biological, planetary and cosmic scales to ask 'What is life?' and how do we recognize it? Life as we know it produces complex order. Earth's many life forms are diverse and continually changing through birth, growth, and evolution. To understand life in the Universe we ask: What environments produce life and which attributes make something alive? How does life change? Is there life in our Solar System, or on one of countless exoplanets? Is there a connection between life on Earth and life elsewhere? Or are we alone?

Past lectures are also available, the Spring 2011 lecture series Cosmic Origins is one of the best.
http://cos.arizona.edu/connections/ua-science-lecture-series

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2015, 07:09 pm »
Thanks WGH! Very interesting.