Room Mode or What?

mkane

Room Mode or What?
« on: 4 Sep 2023, 06:15 pm »
  Is this peak a room mode? No matter what I try it's very stubborn. Could this be a first-reflection issue? That area of our room has treatments on the way. Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Room Mode or What?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2023, 06:26 pm »
Looks like a room mode to me. I have one that does the same thing at 40Hz.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2023, 06:41 pm »
Definitely a room mode.  What are you running in your system?

mkane

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2023, 07:07 pm »

Wedgies & H-Frames thanks

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2023, 07:26 pm »
Waterfall.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2023, 07:41 pm »
Most certainly appears to be a room mode. What are the specs on your room?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2023, 07:49 pm »
Have you tried engaging the sub’s PEQ to pull the peak down? That’s what I do.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2023, 09:07 pm »
Bass traps needed.

mkane

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2023, 09:38 pm »
 I've tried every PEQ  dial and nothing budges. Same peak.

Rooms 15.526 x 22.374 x 9

Taller bass traps? More bass trap? Trap on the rear wall?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2023, 09:49 pm »
I've tried every PEQ  dial and nothing budges. Same peak.

Rooms 15.526 x 22.374 x 9

Taller bass traps? More bass trap? Trap on the rear wall?

The more, the bigger & the deeper the better. Especially if you want to control something in the 55Hz Range.

Considering that the peak is ~15-20dB over the average output level, I don't think the Rythmik PEQ would do a whole lot in such a case.

mkane

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2023, 09:52 pm »
 This is going to get expensive.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2023, 10:03 pm »
Try moving the speakers and the listening position. May cut it down a bit, but yeah, room treatment and/or EQ.

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2023, 10:33 pm »
  Thanks, I've tried everything at my disposal. The peak moves a fe db is about it.

This will get attenuated

g3rain1

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2023, 03:29 am »
This is going to get expensive.

You can DIY bass traps (absorbers) pretty affordably.  Build a wood frame to house 3 or 4 batts of rockwool, cover in acoustic transparent cloth and bolt to the ceiling or stand them in the corners, or both.

Here are some that I made:

You could also look at resonance based traps that target a specific frequency, membranes or Helmholtz, these are significantly harder to DIY, Constructing them is much more intensive and designing them to actually hit the right frequency is very hard. Its easy for it to come out at the wrong frequency and they it will just make the response worse. So I would look at buying these.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2023, 02:30 pm »
Try moving the speakers and the listening position. May cut it down a bit, but yeah, room treatment and/or EQ.

Moving the listening position is an excellent suggestion too as it's free. You may be able to move out of the main room mode at ~53Hz which should make it easier to treat the smaller modes at your new position.

mkane

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2023, 12:27 am »
  I'll give it a try. I stated above I tried moving the speakers and it didn't do much. I also tried placing the mic off axis on both sides and it didn't do much. I'll try moving the couch next time and If I recollect I took measurements before I placed a record storage unit on the back wall and didn't see this peak. I'll move that also.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2023, 01:26 am »
Just curious, how far from the front wall are your speakers and from the back wall is your listening position? If moving the speakers front/back or side/side didn't do much, then it's likely a floor/ceiling mode not a wall mode, or possibly a combo of the two. Tricky to solve, but not impossible. Between some more positioning tweaks, some carefully selected and placed room treatments and utilizing the peq feature on the subs, you'll tame that beast pretty easily. Also if there is a door in/out of that room (not sure if it's a spare bedroom or a living room) then try leaving it open. My room is a small spare bedroom that has a nasty 45hz spike when all closed up, but if I leave the door open that spike is nonexistent.  Food for thought.
-Lloyd

mkane

« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2023, 03:11 pm »
Speakers are 5' from the front wall and there's 8' of space to the back wall from the listening position. There is a door on the rear wall and it was shut when the measurements were taken.

My grandsons coming over and while he's here I won't get anything done. Maybe this evening.

mkane

« Reply #18 on: 6 Sep 2023, 04:00 pm »

Moved the seating position back a few feet. Grandsons here.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 6 Sep 2023, 04:01 pm »
Acoustic treatments are the best option and if you can do big absorbers in the corners, that's going to get the best results.

What is your EQ set to on your sub amps now?  Can you post a picture?  There might be some settings that can be optimized to make the EQ there work a little better.