New Trim rings!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Re: New Trim rings!
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jun 2014, 03:06 pm »

Lou

will there be trim rings on the mid range drivers too?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jun 2014, 03:10 pm »
Lou

will there be trim rings on the mid range drivers too?

Not Lou, but I asked him that question on the phone and he said woofers only.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2014, 08:46 pm »
 The trim rings should be done in about two weeks!  Looks like the cost will be $70 ea.

There is a limited run of 'retrofit' rings in this first batch. They are easily installed at home so no shipping is needed  :)
The trim rings allow us to suspend the woofer on the baffle between gaskets with an even pressure and more than twice the torque.
This is a vastly superior method than simple mechanical fastening as before, and significantly reduces distortion. Bass is more detailed and extended, midrange is fuller and more natural. To be honest I was surprised at the level of improvement and of course the look is perfect. The speaker now looks and sounds, "finished".

roboss38

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2014, 09:38 pm »
I can't wait for my Cherry Argos V.2 with new trim rings to arrive in July. They should make some sweet music with Reference 5 SE and Stereo 100.

minotaur

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jul 2014, 10:21 pm »
Which models will these trim rings be available for?

roadkingraw

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:35 pm »
Lou,
Any more word on the release of the trim rings?  I know you have a lot of irons in the fire and trying to take august off as well.
Randy

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2014, 11:14 pm »
The trim rings are in stock, but the first run of retorfit rings are spoken for, I'll be sending out invoices and shipping this coming week. It will be a couple of months before the next batch is available and I would suggest anyone interested please put in your order asap.

These are for the 8" driver which is central to ALL our models with the sole exception of the BOW subwoofer.

So far the customers have installed these report the same benefits I noticed, lower distortion tighter bass and richer, clean vocals.

thanks,
lou

vinyl_lady

« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2014, 11:28 pm »
Looking forward to receiving mine.

Great seeing you in DC. I thought both rooms really sounded great. Congrats!

Laura

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:51 pm »
We just p[ut up a video on Youtube to help with the trim ring install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38TFPpYoPY&feature=youtu.be

Scottdazzle

« Reply #29 on: 13 Aug 2014, 09:38 pm »
We just p[ut up a video on Youtube to help with the trim ring install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38TFPpYoPY&feature=youtu.be

PLEASE everybody, watch the video before installing the trim rings!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2014, 09:45 pm »
At least Lou will get some driver sales.  :lol:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 14 Aug 2014, 01:48 am »
At least Lou will get some driver sales.  :lol:

I sell most parts at near cost and it is a pain in the butt for me.... I do NOT want to sell drivers etc.   hopefully no one will have any problems, and if anyone has concerns beforehand PLEASE call me!!!!

thanks,
lou

fwinston

« Reply #32 on: 14 Aug 2014, 04:16 pm »
Hi Lou,

Thanks for putting the trim ring installation video on YouTube.  It's very informative, especially the tip about where to place your hand to protect the drivers.

Warmest regards,
Frank

audiogoober

« Reply #33 on: 14 Aug 2014, 10:46 pm »
Hi Lou,

Thanks for putting the trim ring installation video on YouTube.  It's very informative, especially the tip about where to place your hand to protect the drivers.

Warmest regards,
Frank

+1 :thumb:

« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2014, 02:39 am by audiogoober »

figcon

« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:47 am »
A good friend of mine would say, and I agree, use a manual screw driver to install these. Better exercise anyway.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:56 am »
A good friend of mine would say, and I agree, use a manual screw driver to install these. Better exercise anyway.

agreed! but still guard the driver, you can slip almost as easily with a screwdriver as a screwgun

audiogoober

« Reply #36 on: 20 Aug 2014, 02:40 am »
agreed! but still guard the driver, you can slip almost as easily with a screwdriver as a screwgun

I'm excited for mine to arrive!

jonbee

« Reply #37 on: 22 Aug 2014, 12:15 am »
Just got mine today. They went on just fine. it took about 45 minutes, I used a manual screwdriver for safety. Watch the video first, follow Lou and it is pretty simple.
They look great- neatly finished.
Here's a before and after of one.  Lou provides new anodized countersunk screws that are a nice touch.

As to the sound- yes, indeed, the bass through the lower mid range, which already was the best of any speaker I've owned, is quite noticeably tighter and better focused, with improved dynamic speed. I had been thinking my system was still a bit woolly in that difficult room dependent range, but the rings improved it to a welcome degree.
This does shift the tonality - just a bit less warmth, and the top end seems slightly more forward in the mix. After listening a couple more days, I consider it a very worthwhile improvement. I'm very pleased.
I can speculate this may be because of stiffening the structure in the area of the woofer mounting, or providing a harder, smoother surface for the wave launch, or both, but it seems to work.
Kudos to Lou for continuing to improve his existing models.
I've been playing around a lot with cables the last few months to fine tune the sound and am very gratified that the sound of this system just keeps getting better. Just when I think I've gotten the full measure of these speakers I find there is more that I uncover.
These V2 speakers are a joy in every way. They make listening to music a rich, delicious experience, without distractions, and take me out of audiophile mode and deeply into the pure music at every turn. Even having heard my share of speakers many times the price of these, none get me closer to the musical heart. The heirloom cabinets complete the circle.
As Lou keeps racking up "best sound" kudos, I'm very glad I ran across his work a few years ago. It is likely that after 46 years in the hobby these are the final speakers for my big system, based on their moderate size, amazing workmanship and the level of sheer pleasure that listening to music through them offers.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2014, 03:14 pm by jonbee »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #38 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:49 pm »
I installed the Trim Rings yesterday after watching the video. Nice job on the video. I needed to add a gasket to each woofer on my DA-1.1v2s to give the gap clearance recommended in the video. Installation was simple and straight forward thanks to the video. I started the new screws with a 1/8 Allen wrench and finished using a Black & Decker drill. Including the hex head bit was a nice touch. :thumb:

I agree with jonbee that the lower midrange and bass is somewhat cleaner, tightened and more focused. I think the most noticeable improvement is in the lower midrange. That may be because I have a pair of Lou's BOWs, but even with the BOWs I noticed a tightening of the bass. The Trim Rings take the sound of a great speaker to a higher level, subtle but definitely noticeable. I listened to side one of the Rhino remastered 180g vinyl of Chicago Transit Authority and the soundstage seemed wider, deeper and more focused. The percussion end to Beginnings was spectacular. (BTW, if you like CTA, the Rhino remaster is the one to have).

For the price of the Trim Rings this is a no-brainer upgrade. Plus, they look great.

jonbee

« Reply #39 on: 24 Aug 2014, 04:03 pm »
I listened to side one of the Rhino remastered 180g vinyl of Chicago Transit Authority and the soundstage seemed wider, deeper and more focused. The percussion end to Beginnings was spectacular. (BTW, if you like CTA, the Rhino remaster is the one to have).

For the price of the Trim Rings this is a no-brainer upgrade. Plus, they look great.
Thanks for the heads up on the CTA album. I've loved that since it was released. I'll look around for it.
The tightening of the lower mids adds to the overall transparency, and as you say, at a very reasonable price.
+1 on the no-brainer. :thumb: