SimAudio i3.3 Integrated Amp

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: SimAudio i3.3 Integrated Amp
« Reply #40 on: 11 Sep 2019, 07:30 pm »
Here's the update you've all been waiting for.

I received the amp a couple days ago and unpacked it immediately. Yep, the back panel was pretty sorry looking so I set it on my bench without plugging it in. Next day I removed the back plate which required desoldering the speaker binding posts and removing what seemed like countless screws. Also had to remove the dac board as well as the balanced input board.

Next step was straightening the back panel. This was much easier than expected; wrapped it in an old tshirt and placed it between a couple 2 by 4s and whacked it with a 3 pound hammer. After a few fine tuning whacks, it's hard to tell it was ever bent.

Put it all back together, hooked test speakers up along with my iphone for source, plugged it in and turned it on and WOW, I hear music. Found some batteries for the remote and everything seems to work perfectly. Listened to it in my system for a good hour and a half last night and it sounds very nice. 

All I can say now is THANK YOU Michael.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 11 Sep 2019, 08:15 pm »
You're welcome!

On the one hand, I'm more than a little embarrassed that it was so easy to repair. However, I had been told by more than one person to not do what you did. As I'm an electronics idiot, I heeded their warnings.  :icon_lol: On the other hand, I'm delighted it wasn't trashed, and that it won't cost gobs of money to bring it back to life.

It's not like I'm out thousands of dollars on this since insurance paid for most of the loss. Plus, I am about to receive a few Karma goodies in the mail from Timind.  :thumb:

Looks like a win-win for both of us.  8)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2019, 09:51 pm »
Congratulations on the repair Timind  :thumb:  Always nice when the BFH solves an issue in the shop. Just takes that fine touch, and is invigorating.  :wink:

charmerci

« Reply #43 on: 12 Sep 2019, 01:07 am »
Here's the update you've all been waiting for.

I received the amp a couple days ago and unpacked it immediately. Yep, the back panel was pretty sorry looking so I set it on my bench without plugging it in. Next day I removed the back plate which required desoldering the speaker binding posts and removing what seemed like countless screws. Also had to remove the dac board as well as the balanced input board.

Next step was straightening the back panel. This was much easier than expected; wrapped it in an old tshirt and placed it between a couple 2 by 4s and whacked it with a 3 pound hammer. After a few fine tuning whacks, it's hard to tell it was ever bent.

Put it all back together, hooked test speakers up along with my iphone for source, plugged it in and turned it on and WOW, I hear music. Found some batteries for the remote and everything seems to work perfectly. Listened to it in my system for a good hour and a half last night and it sounds very nice. 

All I can say now is THANK YOU Michael.

:o :o :o :o

Jackpot!

mcgsxr

« Reply #44 on: 12 Sep 2019, 12:08 pm »
Great ending to a generous story!

NHSkier

« Reply #45 on: 12 Sep 2019, 12:18 pm »
I loved following this story. Thanks for closing the loop for all of us lurkers and glad it worked out so well!

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2019, 06:57 pm »
The damage was only physical?

dburna

« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2019, 07:06 pm »
Great ending to a generous story!

I agree.....and I'm the original winner who turned this down because of my (lack of) technical skills. I thought it would be too expensive to repair. Nevertheless, I'm just happy that Timind was able to bring this amp back to life. In my hands, that probably wouldn't have happened.

Thank you, Michael, for your generosity of spirit.

Best, -dGB

mresseguie

« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2019, 07:54 pm »

Well, there was some mental anguish as well, but mostly physical.  :lol:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2019, 08:45 pm »

Yep, unless these's something like a hairline crack on the board which hasn't shown itself yet. The RCA jacks were bent back quite a bit, so it's a possibility I suppose. So far so good on all inputs after a few days.

charmerci

« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2019, 10:33 pm »
Well, there was some mental anguish as well, but mostly physical.  :lol:

..and metal anguish too.

mresseguie

« Reply #51 on: 6 Oct 2019, 08:02 pm »
ATTN: MCGSXR

You have a PM. Please check your PM folder.

Michael