Real Pedaltrain board worth the money

drphoto

Real Pedaltrain board worth the money
« on: 4 Sep 2019, 12:17 am »
Ok, I tried to cheap out and bought a Chinese pedal train clone off the 'bay for $60. Unfortunately the only ones I could find are 20" wide, and my 2 Line6 M5's and Fulltone OD/boost are physically large. The only way I could make it work was to buy a $90 patch cable kit. So I get online to Sweetwater and order a 24" pedal train, and now I can use ready made patch cables and return the kit. Plus pedal train has some sort of working agreement w/ voodoo lab. They make brackets that perfectly mount the PS underneath to free up more space on top. (and makes cable routing easier)  I'll prolly use the eBay board to mount my expression and volume pedals, rather than selling for a loss.

Get the right thing the first time.

Oh....one more similar tip. You can get great pedals that are not outrageous. Good old Boss, MXR, EH, Ibanez and my personal favorite budget pedal, Danelectro sound just fine unless you are a pro studio player.  But stay away from those no name Chinese clones. I tried a one of the MXR Carbon Copy clones and it was crap, would not pass dry signal. Immediately sent back.

Pedal boards will not turn me or you into a player, but they are fun toys. Hobbies never make financial sense.  :P

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Re: Real Pedaltrain board worth the money
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2019, 12:26 am »
Here's a board I made, modeled after "Holey Boards". I happen to have lotsa scrap and access to waterjet cutters.
It works well for holding my modest pedals.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2019, 03:11 am »
I think the holey board concept is brilliant, especially the curved design and the two tier platform. Just a bit pricey for me. I don't have your DIY skills. I am strictly a hobby player, I could have just left all my pedals on the floor, but I can never let well enough alone. Great job on that. I like the look of the birch ply more, but they don't offer now.

That body shape looks like an SG.....but not quite like one I've seen before. Sorry.....I'm a Fender guy. One's not better than the other....just what floats your boat. But that is interesting.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2019, 03:20 am »
Modest pedals! 8) This SG have extra knobs.
What bridge is it?

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:26 am »
lol. That SG is modeled after a friends 1972 SG Custom. I wanted a neck thru 24 fret SG, and since Gibson doesn't make one, I had to. I traced my buddys beautiful guitar on some art paper, found some 70 year old 2.5" thick Brazilian mahogany from an old mansion torn down in the Detroit area, and got to building. It has an ebony fretboard on a rock maple neck, with that old mahogany body wings and a .25" thick maple top to hold it all together. It has a Gibson 57 Les Paul pickup in the neck position and a Gibson Les Paul Custom pickup in the bridge position. The trem is a Stetsbar Pro II. I don't do heavy divebombing with it. It's more for a gentle reflective wiggle now and then. I cut a lightening bolt in the headstock just to give it a little extra attitude. Oh, and there aren't any extra knobs, FullRangeMan. But, I put in split pots on my treble controls to give me single coils when I need a little more single coil feel. Thos posts are a little larger than the ones I had, so I have to get some new knobs! Here it is, before the tremlo, and you can see the lightening bolt in the headstock.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:04 pm »
Both nice guitars congratulations, too bad Gibson setted Epiphone as second line brand, a shame.