Tube Vendors

Tubeman_James

Re: Tube Vendors
« Reply #100 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:07 pm »
I just ordered an RCA NOS 12ax7 from www.hifiaudiotubes.com. Went well. They shipped it out the next day and it was packaged well enough to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere. Their prices seem good. No pictures is a downside but their info says they will send you a picture of any tube you ask for. I just liked how they had their inventory listed, by socket type, brand, and listing how many NOS and Used they had currently in stock. I would order from them again, although they call you to confirm your order after you place it if you place it online (I did). The guy I spoke to said the easiest way is to just give them a call with your order. They called me within 20 minutes with my tube on the tester which I thought was a nice touch.

The only other site I have dealt with was www.tubedepot.com which also went smoothly but I don't really like having to ask if they have a specific brand or not. They got the shipment out timely and overall it was a fine experience. I am a frequent browser of www.vacuumtubes.net but have never ordered from them, have heard through the grapevine (other forums) that they have great customer service too.

Both went smoothly but I would give the edge to www.hifiaudiotubes.com.

Hope this helps somebody.

vulcan

« Reply #101 on: 28 Mar 2010, 10:47 pm »
Hi all
Brendan Bivier of tubeworld is great seller, comunicative, fast very good
Service

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Price :duh: :duh: :duh:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #102 on: 28 Mar 2010, 11:14 pm »
I've had good luck with Cryoset. Very fast service.
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=33bef9c01564b593984965e477bc1e73

-Roy

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #103 on: 17 Apr 2010, 06:01 pm »
About a month ago, I purchased a pair of NOS Philips Miniwatt Dario GZ32 (5V4) rectifier tubes (see http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Philips-Miniwatt-GZ325V4_p_80.html for my SET amps from Upscale Audio in California. They were competively priced with a 90 day warranty.

After a few hours (10 or so), one of the tubes started to act up, became noisy & appeared to be brightly lit (possible internal short). After contacting Upscale Audio & being advised by them via email, I sent back the tube & a new replacement one arrived in perfect order about a week later.

The packing, communication & service provided by Upscale Audio was a very pleasant experience.

Thought I'd  share a good tube buying experience since there's a lot a nightmarish ones out there...

Pete

JakeJ

« Reply #104 on: 17 Apr 2010, 10:51 pm »
Thanks for adding, Pete.  Haven't tried any of Kevin's tubes but sure have drooled over them on more than one occasion.

CSI

« Reply #105 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:51 pm »
About a month ago, I purchased a pair of NOS Philips Miniwatt Dario GZ32 (5V4) rectifier tubes (see http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Philips-Miniwatt-GZ325V4_p_80.html for my SET amps from Upscale Audio in California. They were competively priced with a 90 day warranty.

After a few hours (10 or so), one of the tubes started to act up, became noisy & appeared to be brightly lit (possible internal short). After contacting Upscale Audio & being advised by them via email, I sent back the tube & a new replacement one arrived in perfect order about a week later.

The packing, communication & service provided by Upscale Audio was a very pleasant experience.

Thought I'd  share a good tube buying experience since there's a lot a nightmarish ones out there...

Pete

I agree with the Upscale endorsement. I've found tubes slightly cheaper here and there (but not dramatically so) but always go back to Kevin because of outstanding customer service (for both tubes and gear). If good service is important to you (and with tubes you are more likely to need it than with SS) then Upscale Audio is an excellent choice.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #106 on: 6 Aug 2010, 05:59 pm »
Another endorsement here for Brent Jessee (audiotubes.com).  Very helpful and responsive.

:D

mfsoa

« Reply #107 on: 6 Aug 2010, 07:00 pm »
I had a very good experience with "Mask" on this site.

Shipping from Bulgaria took a bit but communication was very good throughout.

And great prices (AFAIK)

-Mike

HAITIMAN

« Reply #108 on: 6 Aug 2010, 07:12 pm »
Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio:

A straight shooter and a hoot to chat with on the phone.

My Mullards arrived fast and perfectly packed.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #109 on: 10 Aug 2010, 12:37 pm »
I just placed and received and order from:

BOI AudioWorks
P.O. Box 26394
San Diego, CA 92196-0394
Tel 858-693-3580
Fax 858-693-7999
info@boiaudioworks.com

http://www.boiaudioworks.com/

I orderd a complete set of spares for my AVA Ultravalve amp.
A matched Quad set of EH 6CA7's  $75.00
A pair of signal tubes 6GH8A's GE  $7.50
A Sovtek 5AR4 Rectifier. $17.50

Shipped USPS. Took 5 days to get from CA to North Carolina.

Well Packed.

All tubes have test values on a sticker on each tube.

From their FAQ:
We test tubes for filament outage, shorts, emission and gas. All tubes are also measured for their mutual conductance, and the measured values are written down on the box. This is the actual conductance value, rather than some percentage value on the meter. We do test for excessive microphonics on tubes that are normally used in audio equipment. Power tubes are also tested for plate current and conductance at high plate voltages. We use several calibrated tube testers, including an FAA standard equipment.

I would do business with them again.
Alex

Zero

« Reply #110 on: 28 Aug 2010, 11:08 pm »
Here's another thumbs up to the folks at BOI Audio Works.

I recently placed an order for a set of EL34's and 12AX7's. Everything seemed cool until I got my package a week after the order. Sure enough, I was sent the wrong set of EL34's. I immediately notified them of the error via e-mail. I was quite surprised by how quickly they responded to it (especially considering that it must have been around 7 AM west coast time). The very next day, the correct set of tubes were on their way to my abode, along with a return shipping label for the other tubes. I got everything in today, and its all working quite well.

Even though they made an error with my initial order, I am very pleased with how they handled the situation. It's easy to be happy with a business when things go as they should. However, what separates the good business from the bad is how it handles things when an error is made. I'd not hesitate to do business with em' again. :D

JakeJ

« Reply #111 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:28 pm »
Sorry folks, had to bin rivieraranch's post about a bad deal on eBay.  Violation of our "No Dirty Laundry" rule.

Rule:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37305.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87850.0

yoder

« Reply #112 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:21 pm »

Bought some 6SN7GT RCA - gray glass and 6SL7GT / VT-229 RCA tubes from TC Tubes.  Shipping was fast and tubes appear to be in good condition.  My first NOS purchase and they sound great. 

http://tctubes.com/

el-cee

« Reply #113 on: 27 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm »
+1 - "tctubes" in St. Paul, MN. Received 4 matched Genalex EL84
for the Dodd battery-powered amp. Great price and speedy delivery.
The Russian Genalex replaced the stock JJ EL84 in the Dodd. To these ears
the re-issues are more refined while preserving the already stellar dynamics
of the mighty "little" Dodd.
Unfortunately, tctubes does not carry the Genalex
Gold Lion 6922, which I hope to hear in Gary's battery powered buffer.
I am waiting on a matched pair from BnB tubes,
http://stores.ebay.com/BNB-TUBES-INC?_rdc=1
in Champlain, NY.

el-cee

mfsoa

« Reply #114 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:40 am »
Bill (Morningstar Audio) and I have just had good experience with Ebay seller "Hanshare"

I don't think Bill'll mind me speaking for him - he was pretty vocal about his positive experience.

Pr of TJ Full Music 12AX7s, $70 shipped no probs for me.

-Mike

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #115 on: 1 Sep 2011, 11:30 pm »
I forgot to mention www.partsconnexion.com up in Canada.
Real good DIY selection plus tubes and Sonic Frontiers stuff.
Great service from them, always.

audiobat

« Reply #116 on: 17 Nov 2011, 08:21 pm »
Great info thanks guys!

Frank I

« Reply #117 on: 16 Jan 2012, 05:20 pm »
the two best vendors I have dealt with are Upscale Audio and Jim McShane. Both those guys match tubes properly always test before sending out and are first class guys who care. I would stay away from the tube depot. I have had tubes sent that were bent pins and not tested or matched and worse yet were dead when they got here. When you buy from Jim or Kevin you pay a little more but you get quality tubes always.

Netdewt

« Reply #118 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:48 pm »
Thanks for the TCtubes recommendation. I'll be ordering from them when the time comes. I love local! I really want to get some Gold Lion kt77 or Tung Sol el34b.

gooberdude

« Reply #119 on: 17 Jan 2012, 12:25 am »
I've been on a tear recently & ordered tubes from a # of difft vendors & ebay vendors.  Thus far every transaction has been perfect.

Ebay:  Hanshare (mentioned above for TJ 6SN7), we-52 (for 5U4 rectifiers), Vintage Amp Parts
and most anyone with 100% feedback & some type of tube tester ($10 tubes mainly).  Extremely fast shipping from the US based vendors.

Vendors:  Tube Depot & TC Tubes

The historical info at tubeworld.com is helpful.