Black Sand Silver Reference MKIII Power Cord

earlmarc

« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2006, 02:19 am »
Lonewolf, we might be able to work out a deal?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2006, 02:25 am »
Quote from: earlmarc
Lonewolf, we might be able to work out a deal?
What if I said ...."the dog ate it... :lol: ". I've got two Butler's....

earlmarc

« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2006, 02:29 am »
So you like the Silv. Ref. mostly on the Butler Mono's? As long as your dogs shits cash, he can eat another? I'll let you know if I can feed him two scruptous cords?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2006, 02:44 am »
So you like the Silv. Ref. mostly on the Butler Mono's? As long as your dogs shits cash, he can eat another? I'll let you know if I can feed him two scruptous cords?
Yes...you picked a very good power cord. I've been using it now since late last night...switching between two others....HT-11 and a VH Audio Fl. 4.
    Simple system :[/list:u]
      Butler amp[/list:u]
        Phillips CD-80 cdp[/list:u]
          Mirage M-3 and Omega A8 speakers.[/list:u]
            In all area's the Black Sand performed better.... :? [/list:u]
              All the comments you posted are correct. Hard to believe....but I heard it....with my own ears.[/list:u]
                So...yes I tried it...I liked it....and...my dogs are hungry..... :lol: [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2006, 03:11 am »
Lets compare notes :
    I've had some time to evaluate the Black Sand Silver Reference Power Cord. I'm in awe!
    [/list:u]
      I agree....right from the first notes of Paul Simon's Graceland cd....full, open, better bass, drum wacks...five stars !![/list:u]
      The background is so black its totally absent. The cable flows naturally with increased clarity and offers up alot of details in tracks I've never noticed before. Its PRATTY nature is tonally correct, especially were bass is concerned. YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT IT DOES WITH BASS NOTES! Unbelievably real!
        Thats what really sold me....with the Reality Cables and Black Sand PC....wow !! Perfect match with the Butler. And....with the Omega's....sounded so much fuller....and detailed. As good as the larger Mirage speakers !!!! 8) [/list:u]
      Male and female voices give me goose bumps.
        [/list:u]Even better...YES...."Seen All Good People"....and CSN..."Wooden Ships" !!!
        The Silver Reference MKIII Power cord gets my highest recommendation because it brings you much closer to the real thing
          So real...I need them. If you own a Butler...IMO....try this power cord !!! The only way you'll know for sure....nice !!!! :hyper: [/list:u]
            Chris[/list:u]
          Thanks Marcus... :beer: [/list:u]

mdconnelly

connectors on Black Sand Silver Ref
          « Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2006, 06:47 pm »
          What connectors are on the Silver Ref PCs that you are using?    Wattgates or Furutechs?     I think I'm going to try one for my McCormack DNA-500 amp and possibly another for my ARC preamp.

Thoughts?

earlmarc

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2006, 11:42 pm »
          I have Wattgate and Marinco connectors. Wattgate and Marinco connectors are very similar in performance and specs. They are made side by side in the same factory. Wattgate is usually considered the upscale version of the Marinco.

lonewolfny42

Re: connectors on Black Sand Silver Ref
          « Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2006, 07:30 am »
          Quote from: mdconnelly
          What connectors are on the Silver Ref PCs that you are using?    Wattgates or Furutechs?     I think I'm going to try one for my McCormack DNA-500 amp and possibly another for my ARC preamp.

Thoughts?
          I now own four of the Black Sand cables...two Silver Max (used on amps..Butler's), and two White Light (used on preamp-Modwright, ARC, Juicy Music and dac - modded ECD-1). They have been a very nice improvement in my system.
            You might try their auctions on Audiogon....while their still running them.[/list:u]
              And their feedback has been
          very good......good luck !! :wink: [/list:u]

mdconnelly

Two Silver Refs ordered
          « Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2006, 12:17 pm »
          I just ordered two Silver Refs with upgraded Furutech connectors from John.   One for my McCormack amp (20a IEC) and one for either my ARC preamp or Wadia CDP (I'll try it on both).

I've been a big fan of Chis VenHaus PCs but really couldn't afford to step up to the Airsines on this.   It will be real interesting to see how the Silver Refs stack up to the VH Audio Flavor 4s that I have.   I really hope for the best (and certainly the feedback here has been very positive).  But, John does have a 30 day return policy so I've got a safety net if needed.  (I don't think his 30 day return policy applies to auctions).  

P.S.   I had a chance to listen to the Butler 2250 (single in stereo) in my system recently and *really* liked it.   Exceptionally musical!

zybar

• Volunteer
          • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
          Re: Two Silver Refs ordered
          « Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2006, 02:23 pm »
          I just ordered two Silver Refs with upgraded Furutech connectors from John.   One for my McCormack amp (20a IEC) and one for either my ARC preamp or Wadia CDP (I'll try it on both).

I've been a big fan of Chis VenHaus PCs but really couldn't afford to step up to the Airsines on this.   It will be real interesting to see how the Silver Refs stack up to the VH Audio Flavor 4s that I have.   I really hope for the best (and certainly the feedback here has been very positive).  But, John does have a 30 day re ...

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on how it performs on the DNA-500.  I had a Flavor 4 on the DNA-500 till I upgraded to the AirSine.

George

mdconnelly

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2006, 02:36 pm »
          George,  I've got a low end Flavor 4 on the DNA-500 right now... (cheap connectors) but even so, it was definitely a step up from the stock PC, most noticable in defined bass, but also better articulation across the board.  What did you find when you went from the Flavor 4 to the Airsine?

BlackSandCable

Re: Two Silver Refs ordered
          « Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2006, 11:46 pm »

I've been a big fan of Chis VenHaus PCs but really couldn't afford to step up to the Airsines on this.   It will be real interesting to see how the Silver Refs stack up to the VH Audio Flavor 4s that I have.   I really hope for the best (and certainly the feedback here has been very positive).  But, John does have a 30 day re ...

.............and I appreciate the business!  :D

Also, no worries on the return policy. If you need to send them back within 30 days, it's all good. All I would need you to do is cover shipping back to me, plus there will be a 93.6% re-stocking fee! lol  :wink:  Just kidding!

Thanks again!

mdconnelly

Initial impressions of the Black Sand Silver Reference PC
          « Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2006, 02:58 pm »
          I've had two of the Silver Ref PCs now for about 5 days and while I've only had maybe 10 or so hours of listening time, I have to agree that so far, to my ears in my system, these are pretty amazing power cords!

I ordered two of the Black Sand Silver Refs with the upgraded Furutech gold connectors.  One is a 20a version I'm using on my McCormack DNA-500 amp.   The other is a 15a that I'm trying on my ARC SP9 preamp.   My speakers are Aerial 10Ts.  There are two power cords I'm considering replacing: a DIY 20a version of the VH Audio Flavor 4 with brass Wattgate connectors I'm using on my amp and a Shunyata Sidewinder on my preamp.  I'll also compare the Silver Ref with a VH Audio Flavor 4 with gold Wattgates that I'm using on the Wadia.

First, I have to caveat this with the simple statement that, IMHO, comparing cables in an audio system is definitely one of the more insane aspects of this addictive audio hobby.  Think about it, I'm spending hundreds of dollars and, ultimately, close to as many hours trying my damnedest to hear differences between power cords. (and, my loving wife asks "you enjoy this?").  Be that as it may, the differences do seem to be there, small though they often are, so here's my take....

On first inspection it's clear that the Silver Refs are very well put together -- highly professional -- and are reasonably flexible compared to others I've tried.  I should also say that John Cook of Black Sand is a very customer-centric gentleman who definitely seems to know his stuff.  I do think he's on to something with these Silver Refs.

So... the sound ... Well, power cords don't make sound, right?  They're simply enablers of your equipment.  With that said, I have to totally agree with the blacker black thing mentioned by Earlmarc earlier in this thread.  The space between voices and instruments in the sound stage just seems, well, more silent.  I notice it most on well recorded small jazz trios or acoustic music.  Subtle details and definition emanate from that blacker space that, while there before, just went unnoticed.

The bass... with my DNA-500 amp and my Aerial 10Ts, I've come to really appreciate bass that is deep, solid and well defined. With the Silver Refs, the initial pluck of the bass guitar string or strike of the kick drum are pronounced and realistic. And it goes deep and tuneful - nothing boomy or bloated at all.  This seems to be an area where good after-market power cords can really make a difference, and the Silver Refs come through with flying colors on this front.  

Lastly (for now) is how engaging the music is.  What I notice is a bit more snap to the transients yet set in a more relaxed sound stage.  There's also something going on with the harmonic decay -- a better sense of the recording venue on some music -- I dunno, it just feels 'mo better' but I need extended time with different types of music to get a better handle on it.

With the limited cable swapping I've done so far, I think I can attribute the most obvious improvements stated above to the 20a Silver Ref on my DNA-500 amp. I can only compare it to the stock cord and my DIY Flavor 4, but the Silver Ref definitely takes things up a notch.  I suspect some of that is due to the cheaper connectors on the DIY Flavor 4 I've been using, but I am really enjoying the synergy between the Silver Ref and this amp.  

I think I can say the same with the 15a Silver Ref on my preamp although the differences seem less obvious there.  What I think I hear with the Silver Ref replacing the Sidewinder is a richer tonal quality... It's subtle at best.  Truthfully, tho, I've tried a number of different PCs on my preamp and none seem to make a big difference.  

The VH Audio Flavor 4 with gold Wattgates on my Wadia, however, has beat out some pretty good PCs (JPS Digital and Shunyata Black Mamba to name two)... so I'm not quite sure if the Silver Ref will be a contender for that spot.  I haven't spent any time with the Silver Ref on the Wadia yet but I will give it a try soon.  Time will tell.

I will say that the Silver Ref has exceeded my expectations.  Is it a giant killer?  Dunno -- my experience with giants is limited.  But, it is most certainly a very good power cord and a tremendous value at the current auction prices John is letting them go for.  Not sure how long that will last.

Give me another couple weeks and I'll update with hopefully a bit more insight.  I would love to hear from those that have had the Silver Ref for awhile now to see if your impressions (or the power cord ;-)  have changed in any way.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:20 pm »
          mdconnelly :
            Give me another couple weeks and I'll update with hopefully a bit more insight. I would love to hear from those that have had the Silver Ref for awhile now to see if your impressions (or the power cord ;-) have changed in any way.
              Nice review...my findings were similar. Black background, bigger sound....and with the Butler amps....better bass. Thanks again to earlmarc for turning me on to these cords. :D [/list:u]
                I did buy two Silver Max (for amps) cords and two White Light (for preamp, dac) cords....it was a good purchase. I have loaned out one of each to zybar and Gordy to try in their systems. This way we'll know a little more of what effects they hear in their systems. 8) [/list:u]

mdconnelly

« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:41 pm »
            Yes, thanks, Earlmarc, for putting me on to these cables!

I'll be particular curious to hear what George has to say about the Silver Ref on his DNA-500 amp as compared to the Airsine.  

Mike

earlmarc

« Reply #35 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:43 pm »
            Hey, you guys are welcome. Thank John for making a great cable at a great price.

zybar

• Volunteer
            « Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:47 pm »
            Yes, thanks, Earlmarc, for putting me on to these cables!

I'll be particular curious to hear what George has to say about the Silver Ref on his DNA-500 amp as compared to the Airsine.  

Mike

I can't do that comparison as the one Chris lent me is a 15amp version.

I can compare it to a 15 amp AirSine on my Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner.

Right now I have it on my Bolder Cable PS for my SB2.  I am comparing it to a Bolder Nitro and Argent Audio Brujo.

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2006, 03:54 pm »
            earlmarc/Marcus.....can you lend George your 20 amp cord....would that be possible ? Thanks !!
              I can't do that comparison as the one Chris lent me is a 15amp version.

earlmarc

« Reply #38 on: 23 Apr 2006, 04:31 pm »
              Chris, I have no problem loaning out my cord, but right now I'm using it for my power conditoner. I can send my Voodoo 15amp to 20amp IEC connector to George to use. Is that ok?

zybar

• Volunteer
              « Reply #39 on: 23 Apr 2006, 04:35 pm »
              Chris, I have no problem loaning out my cord, but right now I'm using it for my power conditoner. I can send my Voodoo 15amp to 20amp IEC connector to George to use. Is that ok?

Marcus,

That would be great.  That will make it almost an apples to apples comparison with the VH Audio AirSine on the DNA-500.

I'll PM you and we can sort out the logistics.

Thank you.

George