VH Audio Power Cords - Flavor 1 and Flavor 4

music 1st

« on: 26 Oct 2005, 11:28 pm »
I am one of those who questioned the logic of expensive power cords.  I have a very articulate system and a dedicated listening room, dedicated 20a line, so what good would upgraded power cords do.  After all, if Avantgarde, for example, chooses to supply a specific cord for the subwoofer amps, shouldn't it do the job just fine?

Anyway, I have had two issues that I wanted to tame:  

First, and less important to me, was occasional noise levels which, due to the Avantgarde's sensitivity (103dB), was occasionally audible from my listening seat.  Seemed mains related because the intensity varied by the time of day.

Second, and very important, was some bass 'bloom' that I attributed to my almost square room (19' x 20', but well damped).  This bloom is right around the crossover from the sub to the midrange horn - ~140 - 300Hz - and it caused the lower bass to be masked and the notes to be more thump than they should be.  I figured that I was facing some more serious room work but decided to give a more robust power cord a test first.

In all, I bought five cords - two Flavor 1s (shielded for my CD Transport and DAC) and three Flavor 4s (unshielded 9g for my subs and for my BAT preamp).  No upgraded connectors - just the basic models for each, although everything was cryo'ed.

The results:

Noise:  Some reduction but not eliminated.  I admit to hoping for more, but in reality I didn't expect it.  If my problem is, as I suspect, from dirty mains supply, shielding the CD/DAC was not going to answer this.  That being said, read on about the bass and overall sound because some of this may be attributable to the Flavor 1s, too!

Bass Bloom:  Where?  What Happened!?  Even though I plugged everything in and immediately started listening with almost no break in (Chris recommends at least 100 hours), the bass was so much better it was night and day!  Now, after a good break in period, I can confirm that indeed the bass bloom is effectively GONE!  I don't know why, but I do know that it is.  

Even more importantly, the overall bass is immeasurably improved!  Without the 'bloom', the bass is more extended and more coherent, with a remarkably seamless crossover between the dynamic sub to the midrange horn.  Bass notes are bass notes, not thumps.  And the bass dynamics are tremendous, with tympani whacks having that wonderful visceral feel, tonal roundness and decay that the real thing has live!  Since I have not swapped in and out various cord combinations, I cannot tell you if this is only due to the F-4s on the subs or, more likely, the overall improvement of all F-1s and F-4s. I can just tell you that it is not one of those subtle changes that we audiophiles sometimes chase after.  

One final comment on dealing with VH Audio and Chris VenHaus in particular.  My natural first thought was to try some cords from some 'major' brand, simply because I 'know' them.  After studying things and reading other peoples comments, I figured I would give VH a try, in great part because the value seemed authentic.  After ordering my assortment of cords late Friday, I had a shipping confirmation the next business day.  The product arrived just like I wanted to see it arrive - no fancy, expensive color graphics boxes - just cables, cardboard and protective peanuts.  The fit, finish and feel of each cable was excellent.  And, finally, when I sent an email to Chris remarking about the initial results I was hearing, I received a quick, thoughtful response in very short order, including some inexpensive thoughts on reducing the noise from the mains.  

So, a very high recommendation for VH Audio.  Specifically, the Flavor 1s and 4s in my system have transformed what was my most concerning issue.  Secondarily, but perhaps more importantly, I wish all my transactions could be with people as competent and committed as Chris truly seems to be.  I have a feeling that my amps, already using very expensive cords, may be getting a 'lower cost' upgrade soon!

MAS

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2005, 11:33 pm »
Call me a curmudgeon, but I can think of no physical process by which a power cord could effect what you describe.

markC

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2005, 10:04 pm »
You are a curmudgeon. Endless debates on this subject do not prove or disprove what an individual hears in his/her system. I have vh recipie cords on every component in my rig, and although I did not get the dramatic results as mentioned above, a definate improvement is easily noticable. I'll also 2nd the comment on Chris being a great guy to deal with.

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2005, 02:56 am »
You are a curmudgeon :wink:

Chris is definitely a joy to work with!  Along with many diy wire and parts purchases I've made, I was also slowly changing all my IC's over to Chris's Pulsars.  During that time I purchased a used single .5 meter Pulsar from a friend (Natureboy) and sent it to Chris to be cryo'd and have another made to match.  Apparently the IC was one of his earliest efforts because it was about 1 inch shorter than his current wires.  Not only did Chris cryo my supplied wire, but he also sent me a matching IC for the new one I ordered  :o  Now, that's customer service!!!

djbnh

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2005, 11:24 am »
Curtain call for the curmudgeon!  :mrgreen:

I enjoy the VH Audio PCs (Flavor 4s, 2, and 1) and what they do in my system, and have had nothing but wonderful experiences working with Chris VenHaus. It's very unsurprising to me to hear that Chris continues to go the extra mile with his customers, and that customers continue to sing his praises.

SWG255

Flavor 2 and Flavor 4
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2005, 06:33 pm »
I bought a Flavor 2 PC from NB here on AC in September, and put it on my Carver ZR-1600 amp. Now that isn't where the cable is recommended to go, but the sonic improvement was dramatic enough to entice me to buy a Flavor 4 directly from Chris. After break-in, my system is warmer, with better bass detail and impact. Yes, I had to tune the putty on my RM-40s to match the new PCs, an indication to me that they had indeed changed the sound of my system, but i am now a believer in the VH Audio power cords, and especially the excellent service from Chris himself.

As for a technical reason for what i hear, i don't know, but the first indication that the noise floor was lowered in my system was with the Dave Weckl "Live and Very Plugged-in" disc, where about 1:38 into track 3 on the second CD, an audience member's cell phone can be heard ringing in the background. I never noticed this in my system before installing the Flavor 2 and Flavor 4 power cords. now i always hear it, including when listening to the same disc on a friend's system, but it took the change wrought by the power cables for me to notice it in the first place, and I played the disc five or six times at fairly high volume before I installed the PCs and didn't notice it then.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Flavor 2 and Flavor 4
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2005, 06:40 pm »
Quote from: SWG255
I bought a Flavor 2 PC from NB here on AC in September, and put it on my Carver ZR-1600 amp. Now that isn't where the cable is recommended to go, but the sonic improvement was dramatic enough to entice me to buy a Flavor 4 directly from Chris. After break-in, my system is warmer, with better bass detail and impact. Yes, I had to tune the putty on my RM-40s to match the new PCs, an indication to me that they had indeed changed the sound of my system, but i am now a believer in the VH Audio power cords, and e ...

If you can swing the coin to move up to the top of the line AirSine you will be handsomely rewarded with increases in resolution, bass, and overall enjoyment.

George

SWG255

VH Audio AirSine
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2005, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: zybar
If you can swing the coin to move up to the top of the line AirSine you will be handsomely rewarded with increases in resolution, bass, and overall enjoyment.

George

Probably, but that would be close to $4,000 in PCs, and I don't have the dough for that now, and i'd have to think long and hard as to whether I wouldn't get more bang for the buck spending that kind of money elsewhere. It's not that I doubt what you say about the cables, but I really think I need to upgrade my power amp too, and right now, I think that would be more of an improvement than replacing my PCs with Chris' top of the line cables. Maybe someday...