Special Edition Stargate

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Special Edition Stargate
« on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:24 am »
I just bought the 'new' special edition of Stargate last week, making maybe the third time I've bought this flick.  This is the EXTRA, REALLY REALLY SPECIAL EDITION! :wink:   Well, I'm not buying it again!

The new version is a "directors cut" with extra stuff, all remastered anamorphically.  The second disc has the theatrical version.

I can't say yet if the picture or sound is better as I haven't yet watched it.  But I now have an extra copy to unload at Disc Go Round!

PeteG

Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2003, 01:18 am »
Rob, Like you I have a few copys now (Dune as well) but this new
ultimate edition is very good, the 16:9 directors cut video looked
better to me & the new DTS-ES sounded awesome.
                                       -Pete

bubba966

Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2003, 02:06 am »
I've got enough copies of Stargate on LD (16:9 DD Director's Cut & WS DTS Director's Cut). So I probably won't be picking up the Ultimate Ed DVD.

Have any of the previous Stargate DVD's been 16:9 releases?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2003, 02:13 am »
I really loved the movie, guess partly just a fan of Russell & Spader.  I thought it was a pretty imaginative flick, and the Stargate effects were very original at the time.

So Brian, I take it your new Pioneer is a combi-player?

bubba966

Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2003, 02:26 am »
For some reason Stargate never really did much for me. I've got the LD's because I need them to complete collections. I've finished collecting the 16:9 LD's as there were only 7 of them sold. And I'm still working on the DTS LD's. I actually haven't watched either LD all the way through yet. I've watched some of the 16:9 disc to determine the transfer quality. But I don't think the DTS LD has been out of the jacket yet. Might have to spin that sucker up sometime soon.

My new DVD player (Pioneer Elite DV-38A) is a CD/DVD/DVD-A player.

One of my old players (Pioneer Elite DVL-91) is a DVD/LD Combi player. But that's sitting nicely in it's box until my LD player dies and can no longer be fixed.

My LD player (Pioneer Japan HLD-X9) is a LD/HD-LD player. It won't do CD's or 5" LD's.

It was nice to have both players in one box as it takes up one less input on my receiver. But when I had a chance to get the HLD-X9 last year, I couldn't say no. After all, it is the best LDP ever produced. And it'll never be surpassed as they quit building LDP's last year.

So after getting the X9 I started picking up more LD's as they looked as good or better than DVD's. And they certainly sound better than DVD's.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2003, 02:29 am »
I've never been a big Pioneer fan, but their DVD players are winning me over; I really love my DV-45A.  I may even get a second on down the road for my 2nd system.

I'm not saying SG was a masterpiece, I just dug it for some reason.  Any scifi flick will pique my interest, as it's one of my favorite genres.

bubba966

Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2003, 02:39 am »
Pick up a 47Ai for your main system and move the 45A to the 2nd system. :wink: :mrgreen:

I got started on Pioneer's LD players as they were best at it. My first LDP was a DVD/LD Combi. And I was happy with the DVD performance, so I've kept picking up Pioneer DVDP's. Had positive experience with their receivers so that's what I've stuck with as well.

I'll have to pull out my DTS LD of Stargate. I've not watched the Director's Cut yet. Maybe that'll be more to my liking.

It must be Spader that makes SG not do anything for me. I've always been bothered by the guy.

BOK

Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2003, 04:04 am »
Just bought my , well, golly gee, my first copy.. the UE.
Rented it a long time ago and loved it.  But after Artisan spewed two DVD crap releases , I passed on a purchase.
Looking forward to seeing this gem release soon (still wrapped).

A'bout time Artisan!!!!

BOK

bob82274

Special Edition Stargate
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2003, 04:29 am »
This was my first time buying Stargate so I can't complain.  Picked it up for $13 so I saw it as a good deal.  A fun flick indeed.