Analogy

matevana

Analogy
« on: 23 May 2018, 06:31 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to come up with a reasonable analogy to teach middle schoolers about bit depth and sample rate. One thought was a comparison to a monitor or a photo, with sample rate equating (somewhat) to screen resolution and bit depth approximating maximum contrast ratio. I realize this isn't spot-on but they might understand those comparisons.

Please let me know if you can think of a better analogy.

Thanks,   

richidoo

Re: Analogy
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2018, 01:38 am »
Most kids won't understand "maximum contrast ratio," but they would understand bit depth as the number of possible colors any pixel can be, like a bigger box of crayons can draw a more accurate picture. In audio, bit depth is the number of volume levels a sample can be. Playing some examples of high and low sample rate and high and low bit depth will hammer it home.

Sounds like fun!!

matevana

Re: Analogy
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2018, 09:58 am »
Thanks, and that’s a great idea. I started with a 20 second high res clip and used dbPoweramp to create 3 new versions. One high bit rate / low sampling, another the opposite of that, and the last low/low.

The ‘more crayons in the box’ producing a more accurate picture is a great analogy.

These particular kids are all musically gifted but have little/no interest/appreciation for audio. You would think they go hand in hand but they don’t.

Please keep the suggestions coming!