Guess this is the place to start

quadman

Guess this is the place to start
« on: 14 Mar 2016, 05:47 pm »
Hello everyone, another newb here.  Music lover and hi-end chaser since late 80's.  Have gone thru more gear than I can remember.  Luckily now fairly settled as to amp/speakers and preamp.  Spend more time listening and enjoying music than comparing gear, which is the way it should be :thumb:  Get involved a few times on some DIY stuff which of course forces me to listen critically, but it is now about the music and my ability to make it as real as possible.

Be well to all

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Guess this is the place to start
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2016, 05:51 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, quadman.  :beer:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2016, 06:17 pm »
Welcome!

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2016, 06:27 pm »
quadman,

Welcome.

Can I make an assumption based upon your handle?  Which model and what pre and amp did you decide on?

quadman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2016, 06:52 pm »
ah thank you guys  :beer: (my favorite salute)

@don_s I used to be a huge quad fan, well still am just don't have in the system.  Had modded 63's and then 989's and always ran bass woofers (various models) with, which we eq'd (bass only) to match room better.  Now I run speakers designed by Wally Malewicz, a good friend who I have known for apprx 25 years, his flex speaker of which I think 8 pairs exist are simply fabulous.  The preamp I settled on, don't laugh, is a DIY pass B1 with homemade teddy pardo PSU and good caps and resistors at critical places (it replaced a CJ act2, which replaced a cj art mk2).  My amp is Roger Hebert's wonderful sounding wyetech 211 A+, which has also been modded to very close to C version.  Picture of amp and speakers below, to the far left I have cat control on top of the CJ pre.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2016, 07:18 pm »
Welcome to AC - nice system!

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2016, 07:27 pm »
A warm welcome to AudiCircle Mr. quadman

Guy 13

That's a nice place to sit and relax with music.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:51 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC quadman  :thumb: Sweet system & nice room.  8)