AVA with Eff speakers

Hiphile

AVA with Eff speakers
« on: 26 Nov 2018, 11:47 pm »
Anyone around here driving efficient speakers >92dB with an AVA amp specifically the new SET 120 currently looking at Omega monitors!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: AVA with Eff speakers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2018, 06:58 am »
Sorry, can't speak to the SET 120, but drive my Daedalus Muse (96 dB) with either AVA Ultravalve tube (35wpc) or an older FetValve 550 Hybrid (250 wpc) with ease & fine presentation. Also use an older Insight 250+ with my Dahlquist DQM-7s (not sure on their efficiency, need to dig out the manual, couldn't find online) excellently. Depending on what you are listening to, the room, and the volume, most all of Frank's gear gets the job done with ease & excellent presentation.

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2018, 12:53 pm »
I have heard amazing things about Omega speakers but have not had the chance of hearing any, other than a set of their drivers (don't even know which ones) in a custom enclosure.

I have run the SET 120 with many speakers, from low to high efficiency and the amp is great...you will not be disappointed.  Of coarse I'm bias, I was in on the design.

Dan

Mr Peabody

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:32 pm »
I know at least some of the AVA preamps have a gain switch to reduce gain for very high efficient speakers.  92dB is efficient but not what I'd consider a HF, Paradigm and others are around that.  I consider Klipsch, Zu and others who approach or breech 100dB HF.

I doubt you'll have any issue with the pairing.

AvsFan

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2018, 05:45 pm »
I have heard amazing things about Omega speakers but have not had the chance of hearing any, other than a set of their drivers (don't even know which ones) in a custom enclosure.

I have run the SET 120 with many speakers, from low to high efficiency and the amp is great...you will not be disappointed.  Of coarse I'm bias, I was in on the design.

Dan

Omega speakers are amazing! And Louis is a class act. Love that guy. I owned a pair of Supercharged Omega 3XRS's with built in 8 inch subs. Very easy to drive. Used a 2watt per channel SET amp.

And in regards to the SET 120, I am VERY motivated and interested to hear more about it! It is on my VERY short list of amps to purchase. I too will be powering 97db super efficient ZU Audio speakers so 60 watts per channel will be plenty of power. How do you think this amp compares to the magic of a SET amp or the Ultravalve that Frank makes? I want simplicity though and plug and play and never think about it again. Don't want to get into the tube rolling or biasing because I know Franks Ultravalve is not self biasing. But I still want amazing sound. Will the 120 get me there? I am looking for my "forever" system.