2 Tweaks that work wonders!!...no kidding

soundguy3

2 Tweaks that work wonders!!...no kidding
« on: 5 Aug 2006, 07:57 am »
As the proud owner of a pair of VMPS 40's, as many of you may know, I thought this would be the best place to share 2 items that I have found that have made a huge and I mean HUGE improvement in the sound of my system.  I don't remember ever using such simple products and getting such incredible results.  It's a bit like the green CD pen of yore, but much better!   I have known and used both of these products for a few years now, but never thought to tell anyone about them, but they are so good and the results are so incredible, I had to share them here.

1. Plaskolite  "Plastic Cleaner, Anti Static", restores plastic surfaces to bright finish.  For use with  Optix, Plexiglas, and other Acrylic Plastics. Cleans, Shines, Brightens, Polishes, Repels Dust, Resists finger marking. Non-Toxic, NonFlammable.

Folks this stuff is gold.  I came upon it by accident. I had purchased it to clean some plastic stuff and just happened to try it on a CD.  You all know how revealing the RM 40's are, plus I have a Class D digital amp, Acoustic Reality eAR1, which is getting a direct signal from the variable outputs of a  Sony Xa7es, so no preamp ....any change upstream shows with this combo, for example, I can turn the treble pot a tiny tiny fraction and it changes the sound and 3D effect etc of my system, that's how revealing it is..anyway, this plastic cleaner opens the soundstage up to such a degree, you would think you had just replaced your amp or CD player with a better one, I kid you not. Besides the better 3D soundstage effects, everything also sounds clearer. more real and more present within the recording venue....I guess you could say it "lifts a veil" from the music.  Using this you have just had a major upgrade for $4-$5 dollars for 8 fl ozs!!! I believe you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot.  Just Google Plaskolite Plastic Cleaner if you can't find it in a store.  I polish both sides of the CD and the inside and outside edges....pure MAGIC!

2. "TSI 301"  High Performance Compound, Lubricant, Anti-Seize, Penetrant, Cleaner, Wide Temperature Range -95 F to +450 F, Non Flammable, Prevents Corrosion, Will not attract dirt, dust or lint, Displaces water. Non staining, withstands high pressures, frees rusted or frozen parts, dissolves grease and rust, will not cake and gum, reduces friction, protects metal and wood, prevents seizure. Not electrically conductive. Works better becuase it forms a thin film which is absorbed by the metal.

This stuff is incredible too.....another "accident"...just happened to try it and it works wonders as well.  It may be harder to find though.  I have to order it online. Google it if you can't find it. I use this on all the connections for the speakers and the powercords. I use a Q-tip saturated with it and then coat every speaker connection and AC power connection, both ends, anywhere where there is metal to metal contact, sort of like you are cleaning the metal. Also, the interconnects, and their RCA jacks. The results are again, amazing, a cleaning up of the sound, clearer etc. Another "upgrade" for not much money.  Here is a link that explains it...also note what it says about it's electrical properties.  http://www.tsi301.com/issynthetic.htm

I just started listening to my system again and began using these 2 products again....a lot of fun! 

I think anyone with a high-definition system will be able to hear the improvements.  I could not help notice some of the products out there that claim these same benefits, but cost a fortune...lol....maybe they are bottling this Plasitc Cleaner and selling it for a profit??  Well, the cat's outa the bag!  :o :roll: :lol: :icon_lol:

If anyone tries this stuff, let me know how it sounds.  Btw, I don't have stock in either company. :D

John
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2006, 11:54 am by soundguy3 »

John Casler

Re: 2 Tweaks that work wonders!!...no kidding
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2006, 04:34 pm »
Hi John,

Those certainly sound interesting.

Regarding the CD polish, I had a conversation with a fellow about these types of tweaks, and I have to admit, I seldom would use a polish on my CDs for fear of leaving a "film" on them.

He put forth the proposition, that the "film" might be "EXACTLY" what you want :o :o :o

His idea was that the film would block the indirect reflections of the laser, and fill in the imperfections in the plastic layer reducing side reflections, while not being strong enough to block the direct reflection and thus causes a "more accurate" reading of the direct signal and less "stray" reading to affect the laser reader.

I guess that might make sense, and might be part of what you hear.  Additionally if the compound is really anti-static, I think that can also reduce a laser reader picking up static as "signal".

Go into a dark room and rub a balloon on your trousers and see that static electricity "DOES" produce light energy, whcih could affect the laser reading.

soundguy3

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2006, 09:51 pm »
You know John, I was also curious as to why these 2 tweaks work...maybe someone out there can explain it further. :)

That's interesting about the "film" on the CD....I can say this much, after I polish the CD with the Plaskolite, there is absolutely no film that I can actually see, the CD looks very shiny....but perhaps there is some type of film left on there.  There also does not seem to be any long term negative effects, going on about 2 years now. The static idea also makes sense, and I have read about that as well.

You will be amazed at the results from this polish and the TSI.  One of the reasons I think the effects are so noticeable, is the resolution power of my system. The 40's are so revealing, besides sounding fantastic :) couple that with the amp, cd player and (forgot to mention) Jena Labs interconnects and Boulder speaker wire, and you have a very revealing system. What's really interesting is to take a CD you know sonically like the back of your hand, pick one track, play it many times, memorize how it sounds, spatial characteristics, clairity of instruments etc..... polish it with the Plaskolite, then listen again....the transformation is amazing.  Try the TSI seperately, you will also hear a difference. Btw, the TSI is an excellent lubricant for many other uses, such as you would use WD40 for.

I wonder if there would be any benefit in using the TSI inside the 40's? ....would be an interesting experiment.  :wink:

Hope you can give them a try...I would like to hear your opinion, and everyone's for that matter. :)

John

boead

soundguy3

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2006, 10:19 pm »
Interesting Boead....it looks like all those expensive products do exactly what I hear these 2 products that I mentioned do......but they don't cost as much as those do!

John

john1970

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2006, 11:06 pm »
The Plaskolite  "Plastic Cleaner, Anti Static" sounds quite useful.  Even if I can't hear the difference it will be useful for removing any fingerprints / dirt that has deposited over the years.

Thanks,

John

P.S. At $4.00 for an 8 oz. bottle at the local hardware store it is going to be difficult to say no to this one.. :D

soundguy3

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2006, 11:18 pm »
Hi John,

You are a VMPS'er  :wink:  I believe you will hear a difference. :)  If your setup is right, and you hear a deep, wide, soundstage now, after the Plaskolite, it will sound even better, not to mention the overall clarity of instruments, voices etc....It seems to open up the walls of the venue where the CD was recorded, especially for classical CD's where they recorded in large halls etc.  The TSI is also very good stuff, not to mention it's other uses as well.

Have fun and your post your thoughts here :)

John

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2006, 11:27 pm »
Walker SST does wonders for my system.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2006, 04:30 am »
John,

Regarding your (#2) second tweak, it is thought that one of the weakest links in the audio electro/signal/chain is the "compression connection".

The bad news is that there are hundreds of them in most systems.

Wall jacks, EIC's, tube pins, fuses, rca connectors, Banana jacks, binding posts, speaker clips, XLR connectors, F-connectors, ground terminals, etc, all have an element of two separate metal surfaces connected by "compressing" their surfaces together so that electrons can flow from the surface of one to the tightly pressed surface of  the other.

A portion of the surface is molecule to molecule, and creates a rather efficient path for the electron flow.

However no surface is perfectly mated to the adjoining surface.  These irregularities create gaps of varying sizes.

It is thought that as the electrons flow through the surfaces, and reach a portion that has one of these "gaps" between the surfaces, that depending on the strength of the current the electrons will "jump" the gap creating "arcing".

This is similar to the "spark" we see when plugging or unplugging an appliance.

This arcing can cause "noise".

Placing a non-conductive "filler", that reduces arcing can (it is thought) reduce the noise caused by this phenomenon.

Your tweak seems to be of this variety.

The "conductive pastes" like X-treme's QuickSilver GOLD, Walkers, and MapleShade's Silver pastes, not only fill in the gaps, but provide a conductive layer to channel "more" electrons, rather than impede them.

However one must be more cautious with the "conductive" types since "shorting" can result if it is not used as directed.

soundguy3

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2006, 05:53 am »
Hi John,

Thanks for the explanation!   

What I find interesting and fun, is the fact that these 2 products have nothing to do with the audio world per se....off the shelf products not intended to help us audiophiles trying to reach audio nirvana, yet they work so well and at a fraction of the cost of the products specifically designed for the same result! :D :o :D

John

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2006, 08:42 am »
soundguy3....I do wonder about your first tweek, the  Plaskolite "Plastic Cleaner, Anti Static"...and what long term effect it may have on a cd. Years ago...a hot tweek was RainX applied to cds (which I believe I read in Stereophile...way back when)....seems in the long term it affected them badly...corrosion... :?
This might be different....
Chris

Gordy

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2006, 12:41 pm »
I've been using the Optrix cd cleaner for years with decent results, but Friday night I listened to a demo of the new Jena Labs CD polish at Roger/Nature Boys place and was very impressed by the increase in clarity!
The plaskolite sounds to be a very similar product, I'll have to pick some up and have a look/hear... Thanks for the info!!!

soundguy3

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2006, 02:50 pm »
You're welcome!  Post your thoughts ....if you can get the TSI, it's worth it as well.

John

soundguy3

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2006, 09:16 pm »
Lonewolfny42, I remember the Rain Guard and Armour All period, and the Green pen etc!  I never tried the Raix X, but I would think that this Plaskolite would not damage the plastic in the long term, since it's designed with Plastic in mind.  I don't think Rain-X was specifically for plastic?  In any case, I have been using the Plaskolite for over 2 years now with no detrimental effects on the CD....fingers crossed.  :)

John
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2006, 01:40 am by soundguy3 »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 7 Aug 2006, 03:55 am »
Lonewolfny42, I remember the Rain Guard and Armour All period, and the Green pen etc!  I never tried the Raix X, but I would think that this Plaskolite would not damage the plastic in the long term, since it's designed with Plastic in mind.  I don't think Rain-X was specifically for plastic?  In any case, I have been using the Plaskolite for over 2 years now with no detrimental effects on the CD....fingers crossed.  :)

John
Thanks John !!! Yeah....I forgot about Armour All...another tweek from way back....but you have 2 years so far with the Plaskolite....decent track record short term....good.....thanks.
Chris

soundguy3

change of gear....even better sound......
« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2006, 11:36 pm »
It's interesting how a piece of gear can make a huge difference in how one's system sounds...In my case, having had such great success with the 2 tweaks, I started experimenting with an Aragon D2A processor I have had for years, but until recently, had not been using it. I purchased it on Ebay 3+ years ago..it was touted as an original prototype, made by and for the engineers at Aragon. It has no markings on the back, that's why I had not used if for so long.  :roll: 

I did some research and found out that only 1 or 2 were made and that the parts in there are incredibly well matched etc, which I can understand, being a prototype.   I hooked it up taking the coaxial digital out of the Sony Xa7es, adding the Acoustic Reality pre amp that I had bought along with the AReality eAR mkII, and using the Symphony digilink from Jena Labs and and extra set of the 3 braided Jena Labs wire.

Well, the sound is even better with this setup, even though I added a pre-amp and wires.  It's uncanny how good it is now....couple that with the 2 tweaks..and it's something else. More clarity, 3D effects, instruments, voices are heard with pin point accuracy in their own space, floating in air as if I were actually there. I did the TSI 301 on all the contacts, including the pre-amp power supply...incidentaly, I also have from AReality, an experimental 4 -9v battery power cord/plug for the pre-amp....after applying the TSI to all the battery contacts etc,  the sound was even better!

What a pleasure it is to hear such realistic sounds coming from these great speakers!   Hat's off to you Brian!  Looking forward to the upgrades as well.

John

lifewithmusic

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2006, 03:26 am »
I've used contact cleaners and enhancers with good results for decades.  I first started using a Craig product in the mid 1970s.  Criag now markets several products under the DeoxIT brand.  DeoxIT D5 is a cleaner that cleans and improves audio connections (and recently also fixed a seatbelt/airbag light error message in my Porsche that is a known bug with a tech bulletin from Germany, and a $600 dealer price tag for a fix that involves replacing seat belt buckles with buckles with internal gold platting :o -- Ya and not necessary because of a little spray of chemical). 

DeoxIT Gold G5 is a protector and enhancer that's also definitely worth using.  Craig has other products too that I've found useful.  I thought everybody know about them.  I get them from partsexpress.com which I think is where Brian sources the internal subwoofer amp, isn't it?

warnerwh

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2006, 05:16 am »
It's actually "Caig" not Craig. Not trying to be nit picky. The stuff is outstanding, far better than the stuff from Radio Shack.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2006, 10:37 am »
It's actually "Caig" not Craig. Not trying to be nit picky. The stuff is outstanding, far better than the stuff from Radio Shack.

warner,

You can buy Caig at Radio Shack....or, at least, as recently as 6 months ago near me.

warnerwh

« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2006, 05:54 am »
Chairguy: Thanks, that's good to know. It's been a while since I've been to Radio Shack. I've used a couple of cans of their contact cleaner through the years though. My brother gave me some Caig Deoxit 5 a few months ago and it works much better.