When large speakers are set to "small"

Campindog

« on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:55 am »
Tomorrow I’ll be firing up my media room for the first time  :D  and then it will be time to start tweaking/calibrating/putty adjusting/measuring/tuning.. So my question is if I’m going to cross everything over to a sub at 50/60 Hz, is it worthwhile to do the whole putty adjustment thing or should I leave the speakers over-damped and match the sub to the speakers? Seems like a waste to dial in the bass then cut it with a x-over, unless harmonics audibly reach into the midrange. The speakers in question are RM30, RM2, LRC and IB sub.

Florian

« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2005, 02:18 am »
Well i would setup the RM30's perfectly in stereo only. Just perfect them in stereo first, and then use the X-over. Might take a bit longer, but its the safest way to make sure its 100% optimal.

PS: I am getting my 30's at Tuesday at the latest :-)  How do they sound?

John Casler

Re: When large speakers are set to "small"
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2005, 05:19 am »
Quote from: Campindog
Tomorrow I’ll be firing up my media room for the first time  :D  and then it will be time to start tweaking/calibrating/putty adjusting/measuring/tuning.. So my question is if I’m going to cross everything over to a sub at 50/60 Hz, is it worthwhile to do the whole putty adjustment thing or should I leave the speakers over-damped and match the sub to the speakers? Seems like a waste to dial in the bass then cut it with a x-over, unless harmonics audibly reach into the midrange. The speakers in question are RM30, RM2, LRC and IB sub.

Yes, it is always best to adjust the putty and the pots.

Actually since you will be rolling the RM30s off a little early, removing more putty can make them a little faster.  Very simply what your doing is reducing the "mass" (weight) of the passive radiator cones, which respond to the air pressure within the cabinet at the lowest resonance.

If they are too heavy, they will respond too slow in reacting to the pressure.  If they are too light, then they may "over respond" or slightly over shoot their excursion.

This would cause them to sound a bit bloated or wooly.

So simply take about a large pea sized amount off "each" PR.

Then twist the pots (L-pads) up to around 12:00 or so, and let the speakers break in.  They may sound a little edgy or tight for a short while, then they will smooth out and as they reach "sonic puberty" they will get a bit more throaty and their voices will get deeper.

(If they begin to grow hair, you've gone too far :nono: )  :lol:  :lol:

After 30-60 days (depending on how much and how loud you play them) they will reach sonic maturity, and should sound incredible.

Campindog

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2005, 06:31 am »
Cool. I thought this would be the the case, but I was hoping to cut a corner. Especially since I'll have to do it to four speakers.
John, I've had the 30's breaking in for a while on a little Jolida tube amp but I just got to hear them on my B&K and they rock!!
Florian, You're gonna love these, but as John pointed out they will go through night and day changes with the break in. Especially in the begining, but they'll just continue mature. Effortless speed and detail.

This feels like Christams when I was a kid. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough.  :lol:

Florian

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:30 pm »
Great !! Thanks, now i really cant wait  :wink:

Only a few more days. It seems like they will sing with high powered SS amps, which is good news for me and my Krell.

Thanks for explaining john, nevertheless i will call you and ask a whole bunch of questions  :lol:  :lol: