Incredible $70 Upgrade

witchdoctor

Incredible $70 Upgrade
« on: 1 Sep 2017, 12:55 pm »
I installed a $70 "Ultra Minimalist AC Outlet" by Mapleshade and plugged in my HT system. It was the best bang for the buck upgrade ever. It transformed the sound to make everything clearer and closer to sounding "live" both in music and movies. Mapleshade offers a 30 day return if you want to try. It took 10 minutes to install and about 2 days to break in. It sounds like I upgraded to a new $$$ DAC or processor. Highly recommended.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Ultra-Minimalist-AC-Outlets/products/259/

wushuliu

Re: Incredible $70 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2017, 01:33 pm »
I've done some outlet swapping in the past but this, er, is a little problematic. I think you should make clear how risky this is. It's not just a ten minutes and done.

I will recommend the Hammond 193l or m choke plugged into wall as a must do tweak instead.

As someone who occasionally plays it fast and loose with mains diy, the mapleshade needs serious caution.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2017, 02:28 pm »
I  replaced my Furutech outlets with the Mapleshade and got an improvement in SQ and with the maple covers an upgrade in aesthetics.

Don't understand the need for caution, turn off breaker replace outlet turn breaker back on?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2017, 02:36 pm »
What I like bout the product is that it is returnable. Money back if you do not like it. Brilliant!!

charles

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2017, 02:58 pm »
I've done some outlet swapping in the past but this, er, is a little problematic. I think you should make clear how risky this is. It's not just a ten minutes and done.

I will recommend the Hammond 193l or m choke plugged into wall as a must do tweak instead.

As someone who occasionally plays it fast and loose with mains diy, the mapleshade needs serious caution.

I suppose you could hire someone to install it if needed. Even after the added expense it would still be worth it IMO. If I had to go back to my old wall socket after hearing this one I would be miserable.

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2017, 03:02 pm »
errrr, If your going this route, why not just take off your cable plug and connect your bare wires to the bare romex and solder and cap or twist and cap?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2017, 03:23 pm »
'UL' sticker for this use?

I would go with a top shelf dual receptacle from a major industrial manufacture like Hubble.
Note that hospital grade might be easier to source these days.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2017, 03:34 pm »

I would go with a top shelf dual receptacle from a major industrial manufacture like Hubble [Hubbell].

But they aren't made of a far better sounding polymer than high-loss, glass-filled nylon or mounted in an Ambrosian maple faceplate that eliminates the high dielectric absorption losses of plastic faceplates.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2017, 03:41 pm »
Too bad there is no image from the outlet back side;

srb

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2017, 03:57 pm »
Too bad there is no image from the outlet back side

There is a backside photo of the Quad version:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2017, 04:08 pm »
Thanks, very useful to campare price vs quality.
I think $140 is too much for this quality, $40/50 would be OK for this quad outlets imo.

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2017, 04:19 pm »
I suppose you could hire someone to install it if needed. Even after the added expense it would still be worth it IMO. If I had to go back to my old wall socket after hearing this one I would be miserable.

For the unitiated that would be a very good idea. I just think the installation process for these as outlined by Mapleshade is a little too cavalier, even for a reckless audiophile like me. The lack of a UL should be mentioned and the relevant cautions of insurance liability if something goes horribly wrong, etc. etc. The typical audiophile outlets at least are functionally similar to regular outlets, but these... Anyway, whatever. The overall premise is interesting and probably effective.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2017, 04:36 pm »
I'm guessing they don't manufacture the actual receptacles, but source them from an electrical manufacturer and mount them in the Amish-crafted maple faceplates.

I can't tell if it's a Leviton 1374-1 or not which is molded from thermoplastic (polymer) but doesn't list contact specifications.

The receptacle itself is UL Listed but I'm not sure about the mounting in the faceplate.  Most chassis mount receptacles are designed for a particular range of panel thickness (in the case of the Leviton 1374-1, .031" - .080"), so I'm curious if they are glued into the faceplate or whether the retaining clips actually accommodate the thickness of the wooden faceplate (looking at the photo it doesn't look like it).

Steve

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:39 pm »
Looks safe enough to me. Mapleshade people are not fools. Why would they sell an outlet that would open up liability to them. Just makes no sense.
Get a Hubble UL approved if you like but they sound like crap to me.

charles

A_shah

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:44 pm »
For the unitiated that would be a very good idea. I just think the installation process for these as outlined by Mapleshade is a little too cavalier, even for a reckless audiophile like me. The lack of a UL should be mentioned and the relevant cautions of insurance liability if something goes horribly wrong, etc. etc. The typical audiophile outlets at least are functionally similar to regular outlets, but these... Anyway, whatever. The overall premise is interesting and probably effective.

I tend to agree ! I just  have 5 PS audio classic outlets solidly built, for $ 200.00 from PS audio website  turned off electrical  breaker switch, cleaned the wiring contacts and installed them ! Had my next door neighbor, who is an incredible electrician (worked for Lawrence livermore Labs for 23 years  before retiring) checked the wiring right through the Attic  and made it practically a dedicated line, he changed the breaker and of course  I have solar panels with a very clean inverter giving me clean energy for my main system, and the whole house  would I go for those maplewood outlets ? I think it would be a bit risky for the equipment itself. So I how does my system sound well  I am just happy  :D

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:46 pm »
Looks safe enough to me. Mapleshade people are not fools. Why would they sell an outlet that would open up liability to them. Just makes no sense.
Get a Hubble UL approved if you like but they sound like crap to me.

charles

My bad. I remember a time when these audiophile outlets were usually discussed more thoroughly in terms of risk. Maybe times have changed. Somebody wants to go for it, more power to them. Don't bother me none.

A_shah

« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:48 pm »

looking at those pictures reminds me of the outlets used in 3rd world Countries ! don't think I want to use it in my house could be a fire hazard !

who?me?

« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:00 pm »
'UL' sticker for this use?

I would go with a top shelf dual receptacle from a major industrial manufacture like Hubble.
Note that hospital grade might be easier to source these days.

What does "UL" mean? significance for audio?

Also, I didnt see anyone mention use of an isolator or conditioner in the line up, running from the wall receptacle.
i would be curious of the SQ difference from the Mapleshade the wall plate for those using additional electrical cleaning units. e.g., I use a RGPC Pole Pig

Nick77

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:03 pm »

I would not install in my house either, looks antique!

srb

« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:12 pm »
What does "UL" mean? significance for audio?

UL is Underwriters Laboratories, one of several widely recognized independent product safety testing and certification organizations.

Safety certification is voluntary (and costs $$$), but many institutions, vendors and manufacturers will only purchase safety certified products and components to reduce their liability.

There is no significance for audio quality.

Steve