Some one ripped off my kid's bike last nite

werd

Some one ripped off my kid's bike last nite
« on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:10 pm »
 :icon_twisted:  :evil:

Just thought i would vent. They got into my van last week too. Not sure if they are same ones but i think I might sit outside in dark for the next few days scoping it out.me and mugsy (120 lb sheep dog). Had him in last night. dam....

I want to punch crime right in the face..  :icon_twisted:

Phil A

Re: Some one ripped off my kid's bike last nite
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:27 pm »
I understand the frustration.  My neighbor told me someone walked into their open garage and took some stuff and the beer in the spare fridge (which used to be my kitchen fridge).  Except if I go right out, I close the garage door now.  I have a bike in there (chained though) and just a small amount of items but don't need the headache.

I do have a camera on the front door.  Many moons ago, I bought a wireless 2.4G sender/receiver intending to use it for audio but it did not work out.  I ended up getting a camara and mounting it to where the garage sticks out and faces the front door.  I changed it for a 5.8G device which does not get the interference and I can view it from multiple rooms.  At some point, I'll probably do a bit more (perhaps a time lapse recorder and more cameras).  It's a shame but it is the times

werd

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:31 pm »
I understand the frustration.  My neighbor told me someone walked into their open garage and took some stuff and the beer in the spare fridge (which used to be my kitchen fridge).  Except if I go right out, I close the garage door now.  I have a bike in there (chained though) and just a small amount of items but don't need the headache.

I do have a camera on the front door.  Many moons ago, I bought a wireless 2.4G sender/receiver intending to use it for audio but it did not work out.  I ended up getting a camara and mounting it to where the garage sticks out and faces the front door.  I changed it for a 5.8G device which does not get the interference and I can view it from multiple rooms.  At some point, I'll probably do a bit more (perhaps a time lapse recorder and more cameras).  It's a shame but it is the times

Hi Phil A

Where do you run the lines for these camera's into the house?. Did you drill through the wall at some point?  Don't know how to install these out door units.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2011, 05:18 pm »
That sucks.  I feel your pain.   Most of my crime experience has been victim of car break-ins and vandalizism.   In the last couple of years, some presumeably punk kids find it funny to break off your windshield wiper arms, at the base, not just the wiper.  That's happened 3 or 4 times and then my side mirror got busted off twice.

For both my sake and theirs, they better hope I never catch them in the act. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2011, 05:38 pm »
I got robbed once, I now have a trail camera in my garage, pics are taken now..if anyone comes in..it has a timer and can be reset easily..hide it on a self..

(Trail cameras were originally made to catch animals in the field, but sometimes the animals come on our property when we are not looking..)

good luck...

decal

Re:
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:00 pm »
That really sucks but what does it have to do with Health and Fitness? Just curious.

srb

Re:
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:05 pm »
That really sucks but what does it have to do with Health and Fitness? Just curious.

His son has lost his primary exercise tool and could use some temporary fitness regimen suggestions until the bike can be replaced.

werd

Re:
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:09 pm »

IDK, just venting about losing some health and fitness gear from theft.

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:11 pm »
Do can also do ten minutes of Crime Punching every morning to build up your arm strength.  But if you want to take a bite out of crime, that would go in the Culinary Circle.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:16 pm »
Hi Phil A

Where do you run the lines for these camera's into the house?. Did you drill through the wall at some point?  Don't know how to install these out door units.

Werd, when I finished the basement, I ran Cat5e and coax from the office on the main floor to two spots in the basement (one behind the secondary basement audio/video system and one where the back-up PC is) and also from behind the main system on the main floor to behind the basement system.  When the house was going up, I had the builder run dual coax from the attic so I could do my antenna wiring later.  I planned a bit in advance and supervised their speaker and coax install.  So the 5.8G wireless sender transmits the signal down to the basement.  I split it and have an old monitor in the unfinished part of the basement where I can view the front door.  I have it going back up to the main level.  One leg goes to the kitchen TV - see pic (I had one set of dual coax from the attic going to my bedroom on the main level where it goes down to the basement to get TV signal to the basement TV and office and kitchen TVs on the main level), the other to behind the main system where I have a distribution device that takes it to the main system room and also the bedroom TV.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:22 pm »
So the bottom line is I can view stuff from a variety of places.  I did mine on the cheap compared to some of these security system devices (those usually have multiple cameras).  At some point as noted I'll likely enhance it.  I also had spotlights put in a couple of places.  Light is always good.  I have a solar powered light (Home Depot) where I mounted the solar collector in a small window in the garage attich and it faces the front door and at night when one comes close it lights up (detects motion).  I have a battery powered version above the french doors from the master bedroom.  I also have low voltage lights on timers on the front.

In an old house, where I had a big yard, I had them wire a 500W quartz light where I had a switch downstairs in the family room and one upstairs near the master bathroom window (where I had the light mounted if I need to change a bulb).

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:30 pm »
There are lots of articles like - http://canadarealtynews.com/nl_preview.asp?a=email&id=56995&cid=1044&agent=JimDuerr

My philosophy has always been that you can't prevent people from stealing but make it less attractive as a target.  There are outdoor fixtures that are not expensive that have motion detectors.  Wireless devices that detect motion and transmit to an inside sensor that are also not expensive.  Home stores carry some of these items as do various websites.  I always look at things and I'll make improvement to what I have,

werd

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:32 pm »
There are lots of articles like - http://canadarealtynews.com/nl_preview.asp?a=email&id=56995&cid=1044&agent=JimDuerr

My philosophy has always been that you can't prevent people from stealing but make it less attractive as a target.  There are outdoor fixtures that are not expensive that have motion detectors.  Wireless devices that detect motion and transmit to an inside sensor that are also not expensive.  Home stores carry some of these items as do various websites.  I always look at things and I'll make improvement to what I have,

Thanks i like the motion detectors. Turn em on while the dog is in.....  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2011, 06:42 pm »
Be a hero and buy him a new bike. ;) 

There are wireless surveillance cameras available, both cheap and expensive.
http://www.homespy.com/
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk45a.htm

werd

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2011, 07:02 pm »
Be a hero and buy him a new bike. ;) 

There are wireless surveillance cameras available, both cheap and expensive.
http://www.homespy.com/
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk45a.htm

Why is it in my house being the hero always costs me money....  :duh:

Thanks for the links.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2011, 07:43 pm »
Do can also do ten minutes of Crime Punching every morning to build up your arm strength.  But if you want to take a bite out of crime, that would go in the Culinary Circle.
:lol: :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2011, 07:55 pm »
Why is it in my house being the hero always costs me money....  :duh:

Thanks for the links.

www.smarthome.com also has lots of stuff.  Even sites like monoprice.com and partexpress.com have some of the stuff.  You can also get stuff like doorbells with cameras and intecoms built in.  You can get a sub $35 interface for your phone that will let you talk on the intercom from any phone in the house.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm »
I'm right there with you. Someone stole my boy's bike last week as well (second one in 9 months). A new Mongoose BMX he got for Christmas. After a lot of talking to the cops and area kids, we had an idea of the punk who took it.

Fast forward - the other day my boy saw his bike on the way to school from the buss. He called my wife and she went down and grabbed it.

It was stripped of all brakes and stickers and someone started to strip the paint off.

I am working on it now. Stripped it down to the bare frame, sanded it to bare metal. It has now been repainted but it needs new bearings, grips and stickers.

We have had 4 bikes stolen in two years. One was my older son's $450 Haro. This most recent bike is the only one we have gotten back.

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2011, 10:40 pm »
I have a painter working on my house.  He lives in my neighborhood and his son is about 8 iirc.  He bought his kid a new bike and a punk kid pushed him down while riding his bike and stole it.   The poor kid went to the hospital with severe lacerations to his knees, arms and face.  He was in so much pain he couldn't even go to school for 3 days.

These are tomorrows perpetual criminals IMO. 

Mike Nomad

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm »
I had a highly customized mountain bike stolen out of my garage (and they went through a 5/8" SS cable to get it).

So, I invested in a Kyptonite New York Chain. Problem solved, and makes for a hefty flail type weapon as needed.