Thinking about giving OB a try--questions

matevana

Re: Thinking about giving OB a try--questions
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2010, 03:05 pm »
Holy C***!!!!!  If they could get that sound at a show I can't imagine what a proper setup would sound like.  My meager salary will probably never allow the purchase of one of those (well, maybe 5 years from now on a used pair they no longer make  :wink:), so I figure I'll try to make a pair of OB's.  I'm not expecting to come anywhere close to EP's results obviously, but something of a taste of that spaciousness and smoothness combination.
have anything worth much yet as I'm just getting back into listening, mainly using old hand me downs, DIY, and stuff I've had for 25 years.

If you like the Emerald Physics offerings, you will probably like the dynamics associated with pro audio drivers.  I have had much luck using eminence pro audio drivers, coupled with Peerless XLS or XXLS woofers for the lows. My DIY pair consists of only 1 10" XXLS for the lows, an 8" Eminence Acoustinator CX2008 coaxial mid (that your Les Paul on the wall would actually sound good through) and a pair of Morel Hi-Fi tweeters for the highs. Mine sit about 3 ft ahead of the front wall and sound great with active eq. Better dynamics than the Hawthorne SI that I heard, with a much more realistic midrange presentation.  Hope this helps.