Take a look at the new Niteshade Audio NS-40

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Take a look at the new Niteshade Audio NS-40
« Reply #60 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:14 am »
Rear layouts for both amplifiers:

This belongs to the black-face amp

and...

This belongs to the amp with a name plate

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #61 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:18 am »
Bunky: Those are Russian as well based on the vintage 6L6GC. I like how they sound in your amp allot. If you want the 5881's, I can put those in.

OK Guy- There are your rear panel photos!

dangerbird

« Reply #62 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:08 pm »
Beautiful work sir,  :thumb:,WCW,, I am partial towards the 6L6's myself,, I really think that you are in for a treat.Hmmm,, Blair,,I was wondering if you could do that to my VTL's,,just a thought,,congrats to the new owner,please post your listening impressions after you've had time to listen to it.

Guy 13

« Reply #63 on: 18 Nov 2010, 12:20 pm »
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members...
I would like to comment on the panel rear controls layout and other things, but I will not, many members and Blair as well, will think that the only thing I am good at is complaining.
I will only say that this amplifier is not to my liking.
Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #64 on: 18 Nov 2010, 01:09 pm »
Will let you know when I get to the one you sent over. What did you have in mind for the VTL's- which aspect of the NS-40 did you want on them?

Beautiful work sir,  :thumb:,WCW,, I am partial towards the 6L6's myself,, I really think that you are in for a treat.Hmmm,, Blair,,I was wondering if you could do that to my VTL's,,just a thought,,congrats to the new owner,please post your listening impressions after you've had time to listen to it.

dangerbird

« Reply #65 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:03 pm »
well for starters,the tuneable bias,, but now I'm wondering if you would/could incorp. your wiring/circuit as well,,I suppose what I'm trying to say is,,can you replace the insides(circuit board etc) with your circuit but still use the same case/chassis.This may require a phone call.Thanks for your reply though.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:08 pm »
can you replace the insides(circuit board etc) with your circuit but still use the same case/chassis.

No circuit board is used in any of Blair's designs.  It's point to point wired. 

dangerbird

« Reply #67 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:26 pm »
No circuit board is used in any of Blair's designs.  It's point to point wired.

Perhaps I should be more specific,,I'm thinking if the VTL's could retain the Trannies but have the circuit replaced with PTP wiring of Blairs design,,just a thought. :scratch:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:34 pm »
Perhaps I should be more specific,,I'm thinking if the VTL's could retain the Trannies but have the circuit replaced with PTP wiring of Blairs design,,just a thought. :scratch:

Oh.

If you want Blair's topology why not sell the VTL's (which are marketable) and have Blair make you some of his mono blocks? 

By modding the VTL's you'll decrease the value significantly. 

Of course IMO..

dangerbird

« Reply #69 on: 18 Nov 2010, 08:58 pm »
I thought about selling them,,one is in Blairs' hands now because of a bias problem.Mine are the "old school" VTL Compact mono 100's,,, we'll see what Blair suggests,,repair or mod,,I was kinda going in the direction of using the iron in them,and possibly having him upgrade/replace the internal circuitry.But,,I'm probabally getting way ahead of myself,,so I'll wait and see.The thing about the old VTL's,is when they are tuned/tweaked,they sound soo good that it ought to be illegal. 8)

Mariusz

« Reply #70 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:08 pm »
OK George, .....now I get it!!! :duh:
You just want to make your VTLs legal! :wink:

dangerbird

« Reply #71 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:13 pm »
ding ding ding--- lol,,,yep.  :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:16 pm »
Guess I'm missing something with the VTL's not being legal.

dangerbird

« Reply #73 on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:22 pm »
just a joke,, I said that they sound so gooood that it outta' be illegal. :D

bunky

« Reply #74 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:28 pm »
Bunky: Those are Russian as well based on the vintage 6L6GC. I like how they sound in your amp allot. If you want the 5881's, I can put those in.

OK Guy- There are your rear panel photos!
Hey Blair,I would rather have the 5881's come with the NS-40 because i already have a brand new matched quad of SED Winged C 6L6GC's sitting here waiting for the NS-40 . and i might want to get some KT66's for it to try them out as well. i am also going to order a pair of Create Audio 6SN7's to run in it too  :drool:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #75 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm »
OK- I'll put 5881's in there. Your 6SN7's are "triangle plate" models, one labeled Stromberg Carlson and the other...I can't remember. Anyway- same structure, very quiet and they do sound good! There are many times when the labels do not match- I go according to sound via a hand-selection process based on performance.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #76 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:34 pm »
Just so I know....do you want me to repair the mono block and send it back or replace the circuitry? A valid point was made concerning modifying these. It could spoil the market value EVEN if they sound twice as good as they originally did.

I'm not as well known as VTL....YET.  :D

dangerbird

« Reply #77 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:52 pm »
I think that I need to speak with you on the phone,,,but at this point,,I think it would be better to replace the circuit-the bias circuit has been a pita-and I like your design,,as for resale,,I'm not that concerned,as I plan to keep them for a long time,,I hope-whadda' you think?

BTW--I'm off to the Roger |Waters show in Atlanta,,back in a few hours-- :thumb:

bunky

« Reply #78 on: 19 Nov 2010, 05:41 pm »
Hey Blair,can you ship my NS-40 today ? i tried to call but a machine started talking to me and i hung up  :lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: 19 Nov 2010, 05:46 pm »
Hey Blair,can you ship my NS-40 today ? i tried to call but a machine started talking to me and i hung up  :lol:

How long have you been waiting?