I want a completed build AKSA 55w or 100w is this possible?!

giorgio

Hello Mr Hugh,
I want to have a AkSA 100w or 55W but i can't built it myself and i want to know if u planned to sell fully build unit with nirvana upgrade, i think i read something annunce this fully built unit in your website's news.
Can u confirm this? or do u have any intention to offer your unit assembled? Please think to person like me who can't work with solder and electronics . :cry:   :wink:
Thanks
Giorgio

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2003, 09:55 pm »
Georgio,

just for your info, while hugh does not supply a finished product as far as i know, he is willing to supply completed modules.

He quoted me to prebuild an AKSA 55 at $AUD 250.

This is a great service and is well priced but it is deinitely worth considering the kit option as I'm half way through and I'm being very cautios but it is a dream to build and everyone on the website is willing to help with advice.

Also do you have an aksa builder near you who might be willing help?

I hope this is of some use.

Nick.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2003, 10:11 pm »
Hi Nick,

I should explain that I quoted $AUD250 for LABOR to build an AKSA 55W!  The price of the kit was additional, $AUD430, so all up, assembled, biased and tested cost was $AUD680, around $US400.

I need to point out that I can only do this for so long;  eventually I'll reach a point where I need four hands because the product line is steadily growing, and my life becomes more complicated!

But while I can, I'm delighted to do this, as long as it's not more than one or two a week.  More than that and I'm in trouble, and at present I'm not willing to give this job to my workers, who don't yet have the experience to do it to the necessary high standards.

Georgio,

I am quite happy to supply the amp modules, but for two reasons supplying the complete amp, ready to roll, is beyond me.  These are:

1.  At least as much time is spent on metal work and wiring as building the modules.  This is prohibitive.
2.  Inventory requirements for all the metal work, painting and fitting are huge and expensive.  This is not high tech work, but it is demanding and it requires a LOT of time and effort I can't spare.
3.  Weight and space requirements for the complete amp are high, particularly the transformers, and shipping abroad is very expensive.  All these bits are available overseas, often at better prices than Australia, so I have decided not to supply them.
4.  The full amplifier, ready to plug in, must be UL/CE certified in all countries where it is sold.  I fly in under the radar if I sell a kit, and until I can build sufficient capital to permit full and complete production, I'm better off to sell into the DIY market.

If you would like to own an AKSA, and I would be delighted to help, I'd suggest finding a friend with experience in this area, negotiate payment of a few shekels, and buy the complete, tested modules from Aspen.  If you negotiate well with your friend, you might find it's relatively cheap and straightforward.  Others I know have done this, and been very happy with the result.  Assembly of the completed modules/heatsink into a box is not too difficult for someone with basic metal working skills.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,

Hugh

Cheers,

Hugh

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2003, 12:33 am »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

OH DEAR!! Another example of why the English no longer rule the world, my English is terrible.

I apologise for my incomplete answer, and yes Hugh I knew it was only the assembly of the modules at this price but a hasty posting oft goes astray and I apologise to everyone on the forum for being a D*$k.

Nick.  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Rocket

aksa
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2003, 02:04 am »
hello giorgio,

i recently bought the amp boards and power supply assembled from hugh.  like you i don't know one end of the other of a soldering iron, i enlisted help from a friend who hooked up the amplifier for me at a small charge.  i'm very happy with the amp :).

if you take the time to have the amp assembled you won't be disappointed, the aksa has replaced a very expensive amp in my system.

regards

rod

ps we don't want to take too much of hugh's time as i'm waiting for him to develop a dac.

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2003, 06:26 pm »
Hi Giorgio,

I too share the same sentiment.  I want to experience and own an AKSA amp and willing to spend up to $1700 US just to have a fully built plug and play AKSA amp.  I don't have anybody to help me doing an electronic project and know no one to do the same.  I also inform Hugh about this but his response to me was similar to yours.  To make the matter worst, I dont know anything about electronics and can't even read a digram in electronics because I'm an M.D. by profession.  In short, for music loving people like us who cannot assemble products like this one, we're out of luck.  I own an Odyssey Stratos amp and was very happy but I guess base on the user's feedback regarding AKSA amp, this babies are for real too.  Hugh, I'm still hoping that you can build a comlete plug and play one.  I'll wait a little longer for this to happen.............................hope fully :cry:

Docster

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2003, 12:45 am »
Quote from: Doc Jr 8156
Hi Giorgio,

"To make the matter worst, I dont know anything about electronics and can't even read a digram in electronics because I'm an M.D. by profession. ....."

As a MD myself I can't agree.

I'd say Hugh's elegant circuits are a snap compared to the vagaries of the human system!  

If you can practice medicine you can build an amp. You just need to want to, practice, be guided and be careful- sound familiar? :wink:

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2003, 01:10 am »
hello,

i have limited experience with electronics, i think i last used a soldering iron about 25 years ago.  like i said previously i bought the amp boards and power supply pre-assembled by hugh.  someone mentioned he has a partial case which he can provide, i'm sure if you investigate you can find someone to hook the amp up for you.  i found a friend of a friend who charged me a modest fee to complete the project.  i then had the faceplate and top made by a laser cutting service and then to finish it off it is being currently powder coated.  i'm just waiting for a new power switch from hugh which should be available soon.

the project cost me about $800 us to complete and all i did was use some of my time running around obtaining components.

anyway good luck i'm sure you can solve this dilemma and have an aksa.

regards

rod