Ming Da 6SN7 Globe tube - looks funny, sounds good

hmen

Re: Ming Da 6SN7 Globe tube - looks funny, sounds good
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:13 am »
At $80 apiece you can find some really good NOS 6SN7's if you look around a little. The globes are cool looking but I need 8 of them (4 per mono block) and they might be too large to fit next to each other on my amps.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:24 am »
This is why I don't like getting into the habbit of recommending expensive tubes to my customers. I could come across a tube that I absolutely love but may not be to the liking of others. Ihave some very expensive tubes in some of my preamps but they can set you back a couple hundred dollars for a pair of 12AU7s. What if I recommend them to you and you don't like them. You invest a lot of money which turns out to be a waste in your eyes and I feel bad.

I don't like feeling bad :cry:

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2010, 12:06 pm »
At $80 apiece you can find some really good NOS 6SN7's if you look around a little. The globes are cool looking but I need 8 of them (4 per mono block) and they might be too large to fit next to each other on my amps.

I currently have 4 NOS 6SN7's, just looking for something different.

This is why I don't like getting into the habbit of recommending expensive tubes to my customers. I could come across a tube that I absolutely love but may not be to the liking of others. Ihave some very expensive tubes in some of my preamps but they can set you back a couple hundred dollars for a pair of 12AU7s. What if I recommend them to you and you don't like them. You invest a lot of money which turns out to be a waste in your eyes and I feel bad.

I don't like feeling bad :cry:

Bill, No worries.. I only need one tube anyways for my deHavilland Ultraverve. $80 for the tube is really not that expensive. My Telefunken 12AX7 are selling for $159.00 each!! I just paid $80 for 2 fuses. It's all relative.

Thanks,

Gary

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:00 pm »
Bill, I was going through my box of tubes and came across a Mullard ECC32 / CV181. I forgot I had this tube (cost is $199.00 now). I cleaned it up, and treated the pins and WOW!! This is a great sounding tube. This is staying for a while. Thanks again for the help on the Ming Da tube.

Gary