Carmen

richidoo

Carmen
« on: 21 Dec 2009, 04:41 pm »
My wife has requested a recording of Bizet's Carmen for Christmas.  That means she wants to listen to my stereo, so I want to get a version that she will really enjoy.  I know I am a little late to order for Christmas but she's covered.

What's the difference between recitative and dialogue format? She is not interested inthe history or tradition of the work, just the beautiful music and voices with the passion of performance and great interpretation.

So far in my research I have found these three versions that seem interesting:
1973 Bernstein/Met w/Marilyn Horne on DG
2002 Plasson/Toulouse w/Angela Gheorghiu on EMI Classics
1977 Abbado/LSO w/Teresa Berganza on DG

I usually buy the latest greatest versions with Gramophone gold star. But I haven't been able to find one, and this work has such a rich recorded history so a recent recording may not be as good.

Decent sound quality is all I ask, doesn't have to be audiophile worthy, but clear modern sound tape hiss OK.

Thanks for any advice!
Rich

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Re: Carmen
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2009, 08:11 pm »
My wife has requested a recording of Bizet's Carmen for Christmas.  That means she wants to listen to my stereo, so I want to get a version that she will really enjoy.  I know I am a little late to order for Christmas but she's covered.

What's the difference between recitative and dialogue format? She is not interested inthe history or tradition of the work, just the beautiful music and voices with the passion of performance and great interpretation.

So far in my research I have found these three versions that seem interesting:
1973 Bernstein/Met w/Marilyn Horne on DG
2002 Plasson/Toulouse w/Angela Gheorghiu on EMI Classics
1977 Abbado/LSO w/Teresa Berganza on DG

I usually buy the latest greatest versions with Gramophone gold star. But I haven't been able to find one, and this work has such a rich recorded history so a recent recording may not be as good.

Decent sound quality is all I ask, doesn't have to be audiophile worthy, but clear modern sound tape hiss OK.

Thanks for any advice!
Rich

From my limited opera exposure, my definitions - Recitative is declamatory type of speech-like singing, in opera or oratorio.  It's somewhat free in rhythm, but somewhat still has a musical flow to it, whereas dialogue is just conversation I think.  Recitatives often are accompanied by music in the background, and dialogues don't. 

There are many Carmens out there. Gheorghiu of course is the more modern.  So, the recording could be fresher sounding.  Marilyn Horne's was very popular when she was still active.  So, it's an older recording, but she's a mezzo, which perhaps is more suitable for the role?  Berganza is a mezzo also (I am listening now to her Vivaldi Psalms recording, which is why I love her).  But her bravura singing is the best of the 3 I would say (prefer).  My preference is therefore Berganza.  Again, hers is an older recording.  If they are remastered, nothing is wrong.  Horne's recording may not be in print anymore (CDs).  I just saw "used" CDs on Amazon, and not new.

It's probably not late getting it for your significant other half.  All you need to do is walk up to the record store?  Of course, we don't know where you are.  You may not have access to a bigger record store like some of those in the bigger cities.  Record stores are fewer and in between now.  But... Barnes and Noble, Borders are still around.  I would say perhaps you'd have to pre-order, as they may not stock it.

Good luck!  Happy holidays!

pjg66

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2009, 11:18 pm »
Just have to put my two cents worth on this.  It may no longer be in print, but one of the most spine-tingling performances of Carmen ever was by Maria Callas (EMI CDS 7 47313 8) - originally recorded in 1964, digitally remastered in 1985.  It features Orchestre Du Theatre National De L'Opera De Paris, with Georges Pretre conducting.

By this time Callas' upper registers were a disaster, so she turned to roles that utilized her still beautiful and dramatic lower registers.  And she does give a stunning performance.  In addition to being a great diva, she was a great actress, and surely Carmen was a role just made for her.

Good luck in your search, and happy holidays.

pjg66

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:09 pm »
I have heard all those and more.  Of the three, I would go with the Berganza/Domingo/Milne/Cotrubas conducted by Abbado.  Everyone sings well and Abbado never goes overboard with the music.  I think this is the best you can get on CDs right now in terms of overall production and voices invoved.  I would offer this Troyanos recording with Domingo/Te Kanawa/Van Dam conducted by Solti as an alternative.  If you like orchestral music in the preludes and the big scenes, this is the one.  Solti never lacks for pace.   

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:17 pm »
Thank you all! Further recommendations are welcome.

I am in Raleigh, NC, I did try at Barnes. The employee who helped me is a new opera fan, but she didn't know much about Carmen, yet. I found a single-disk "highlights" recording, and a big band instrumental recording which looked interesting...  But neither is what my wife wants.

I usually buy classical music from Arkivmusic.com.

Thanks again
Rich

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:27 pm »
Thank you all! Further recommendations are welcome.

I am in Raleigh, NC, I did try at Barnes. The employee who helped me is a new opera fan, but she didn't know much about Carmen, yet. I found a single-disk "highlights" recording, and a big band instrumental recording which looked interesting...  But neither is what my wife wants.

I usually buy classical music from Arkivmusic.com.

Thanks again
Rich

Arkivmusic.com is fine.  But... I think searching on amazon.com yields better results.  More important, often it's cheaper than arkivmusic; unless it's some obscure recordings that you can't get even thru amazon.com.  Barnes & Noble, or Borders, I often don't find what I need easy.  Here in NYC, J&R is still the best source (bragging about NYC!).  They now have the biggest music store around.  It's not so easy to find a more complete record, and better-pricing store anymore.  Tower, HMV, Virgin, they have all struck out.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2009, 05:20 pm »
On vinyl, I have Beecham/de Los Angeles, Karajan/Price and Pretre/Callas.  I can't tell you what remastered CD's sound like.  On vinyl, I like the Beecham the best but then I usually like the voice of de Los Angeles.  On the RCA recording Price doesn't do it for me as Carmen but Freni does great Micaela.  This is a good enough sounding recording that somehow doesn't live up to the star power it should have.  As for the Callas recording, the only Callas roles I like are Tosca and Lucia.  She may have done great Carmen in performances but this recording was not one of them IMO.

BTW,  I like Carmen to the point where I named my cat Escamillo!  :wink:

no1maestro

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2009, 10:44 pm »
I guess I'll be the only vote for Lenny. He did so little opera and put himself into this one. It is a different approach and I still find it fresh. The voices are well done but the orchestra is the most detailed of many of the other recordings. You won't go wrong with any that you have mentioned though!

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2010, 09:05 pm »
I usually get Lenny for starters until I learn more about the work. But rarely is his version surpassed, except in audio quality and sometimes player precision.

I got the LSO/Abaddo/Berganza version and finally ripped it today. My wife loves it. She just told me, "This is the version I heard on the radio that I liked."  Whew! Thanks a lot guys!
Rich

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2010, 09:49 pm »
On vinyl, I have Beecham/de Los Angeles, Karajan/Price and Pretre/Callas.  I can't tell you what remastered CD's sound like.  On vinyl, I like the Beecham the best but then I usually like the voice of de Los Angeles.  On the RCA recording Price doesn't do it for me as Carmen but Freni does great Micaela.  This is a good enough sounding recording that somehow doesn't live up to the star power it should have.  As for the Callas recording, the only Callas roles I like are Tosca and Lucia.  She may have done great Carmen in performances but this recording was not one of them IMO.

BTW,  I like Carmen to the point where I named my cat Escamillo!    :eyebrows:

Does your cat fight bulls?  aa
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2010, 01:44 am by goldlizsts »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:03 pm »
Escamillo is actually a petty chubby tabby who is now on a restricted diet.  He is going to have to lose a few pounds to dodge the bulls.   I don't think he has the killer instinct anyhow as he has learned from my dog to show the belly to be rubbed.  :lol:

no1maestro

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2010, 12:40 am »
I have another potential recording as of last Saturday afternoon. I was taken aback a bit by the Metropolitan Opera broadcast. I am unfamiliar with the conductor but it was one of the freshest readings of the work since it had more life and zest in it than usual. It reminded me of two weeks worth of rehearsals and performances we did during my college years. The tempi were somewhat sped up due to the strain on the singers and the length of the opera itself. We fairly flew through many scenes and this reading brought those days back to mind. I only missed Micaelas aria having had to leave my car for a few minutes and I would love to have experienced it. I have hopes that they will make a dvd availiable in the near future.

woodsyi

• Facilitator