Wash DC DIY Speaker Event

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Wash DC DIY Speaker Event
« on: 2 Jun 2009, 06:33 pm »
Hi  If you're within striking distance of Washington DC and interested in DIY audio,  I'll be holding a speaker event on Saturday, July 18.  DIY enthusiasts around the area will bring their speakers for a show and tell (but you don't have to), and I'll have a pair of the new Salk HT4's up and running (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67978.0), and my passive take on the Linkwitz Pluto using an upward firing ScanSpeak revelator woofer and a planar tweeter.  Plus local electronics genius Neil Davis will have a magic instant crossover comparer that can show the effects of changing slopes, topologies, and crossover points on a given speaker.  He hopes to make that speaker a 5-way omni, but he has a day job, so he's not promising anything that elaborate.  But I can promise food.  And I'll have my remote-controlled A-B-C-D preamp that lets you instantly compare up to 4 pairs of speakers at equalized volume levles.  Things will get underway around 10:00AM at my place--5214 Wehawken Rd, Bethesda MD  20816.  PM me if you think you can make it.  Hope so!

richidoo

Re: Wash DC DIY Speaker Event
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2009, 02:46 am »
Sounds very interesting!!!  I would love to come to this. Gotta check the calendar.

rlee8394

Re: Wash DC DIY Speaker Event
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2009, 10:55 pm »
Here are a few photos of the DCDIY event hosted by Dennis Murphy. There was a great turn out and fun was had by all.

Dennis comparing two new prototypes

Soliciting feedback from the gallery

The much anticipated Birdhouse speaker.

The Master at work

An all-Dayton driver design.

Omni's compared to MBOW1's.

These were hauled all the way from London, Canada! Great woodwork!! The smaller unit to the right included an Arum Cantus mid-bass driver and Morel tweeter I believe. These floored everyone with deep bass that was hard to believe!

Showing off the floor mounted crossover.

A floor-ported design. Lot's of screws!!

Dennis demoing the prototypes for the new Salk HT4. Nice looking Van Alstine Ultimate 70's.

Final version of the HT-4.

The absolute best, most accurate subwoofer!! Shannon!