new bike

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: new bike
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2008, 04:23 am »
Beautiful bike.

Be careful out there guys.  I had a friend who killed himself a few months ago on a Harley.  Hit the gas on a curve (on purpose) but then hit the curb...then a small tree, then a bigger tree, then a telephone pole.

He was wearing a helmet...he had a closed casket funeral.

Ditto, great bike; looks like the perfect choice in street bikes now.  Italians just plain cursed w/ priceless esthetics.     

Helmets are always recommended, though MC fatality more often caused by internal trauma; i.e. ruptured aorta &/or other major arteries, internal organs ruptured/rearanged...stuff that happens when the chest cavity quickly decelerates from 25mph or more, by contact w/ a tree, signpost, car, etc.

MCN-USA several years ago had a detailed report w/ lots of math & diagrams.  The rise over the past several years in mc fatalities per mile ridden seems best explained by the increased rate of SUV's/trucks.  Such vehicles & their bumpers are taller than passenger cars.  Accidents w/ passenger cars might cause a broken leg or pelvis.  W/ taller vehicles the contact occurs much higher in the vicinity of major chest cavity organs.  See above paragraph. 

IIRC helmets &/or lack or same were excluded from a major contributing cause.  If correct, as we switch back to passenger cars (I'm selling the truck ASAP), fatalities should decrease.

« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2008, 09:10 pm by ro7939 »

eweitzman

« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2008, 05:34 am »
I don't know what a motard or supermotard is, but I do know a work of industrial art when I see one. Nice bike!

But don't crash it. After 60,000 accident-free miles on simple street bikes, I finally got nailed by an airhead teenage girl signaling left and then deciding to turn right while I was passing. Luckily, it was only at around 20-25 mph. Took nearly six months for the sprained wrist to get back to 100%. The road rash is forever.

Be careful out there!

- Eric

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm »
...The bike is a strange amalgam of dirtbike riding position and street bike chassis feel. It is really nice to be able to cruise your motard look alike @75~85mph with a stable feel and low vibes. I have had husky, husaberg and honda motard conversions through the years and while the Duck is not as lithe as a single it also is not as high strung....

bill,

have you been fortunate enough to try the latest husky/husaberg/ktm motards, w/their counterbalanced engines?  if i get a bike like this, i could forgo the extra smoothness of a twin to get the additional litheness - as long as it's smooth enough to do an hour at 75-85 w/o being numbed... 

doug s.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2008, 04:24 am »

A German BMW dealer transformed an F800S model into the above naked bike (fairing removed, etc.)  It is rumored BMW will soon release a similar bike, the F800R (R = naked "road" model). 

At least one professional builder rates BMW's counterbalanced parallel twin one of the best.