Four wheeling in Colorado (vehicles, not ATV's)

lazydays

Re: Four wheeling in Colorado (vehicles, not ATV's)
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2008, 12:35 am »
Yes. The Grand Canyon is another 'must see'. Words can't describe it.
Hell, photo's can't describe a sunset over the canyon on a semi cloudy sky.
Awe inspiring.  aa

Bob

Bob,
I'm assuming your taking kids with you (you probably already said so, but have slept since then). Be sure to take them down to Durango to see the steam driven train (take a ride on it to Silverton). But most of all thate them over to Mesa Verde to see the Cliff Dwellings. This is an absolute must see when visiting Colorado.
gary

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:09 am »
Oh yea gary, the kids are comin' too.  :green:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2008, 07:32 pm »
I'm back from the trip.
I did get to do a little bit of four wheeling, but vehicular constraints kept me from seeing the super cool trails.
The trail we went on was in Sand Dunes National Park. I'm proud to say I made it a few miles past "The Point of No Return". This is the point where the rangers recommended I stay away from with my stock vehicle.  :wink:
Extractions are performed by fellow 'wheelers', or the "local" tow company. That's it. The park service does NOT deal with dragging tourists out of situations they got themselves into. The local tow company (which isn't very local) charges about $800 to drive out and drag your sorry butt out of a hole.

No real elevations changes, maybe a few 10 foot high climbs, but nothing too challenging regarding hills. Occasionally you have to watch out for a sharp rock, but other than that the only challenge was deep, lose, dry sand. One the steering wheel got to the point I couldn't keep it in a straight line I decided it was time to turn around. And turn around points are few a far between when you're in a Yukon XL, the trail is ten feet wide, and your rear differential is leaving a trial.

The photos I took are not very impressive. I wanted "the money shot"......You know the one where the vehicle is all twisted up and perched precariously on a big hill with the suspension in full articulation. But by the time I was willing to stop my momentum (after finally finding a place to turn around) and come to a full stop, the road doesn't look very cool anymore.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58352.msg517152#msg517152