Four wheeling in Colorado (vehicles, not ATV's)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Four wheeling in Colorado (vehicles, not ATV's)
« on: 7 Jul 2008, 09:56 pm »
Hey folks,
Any "four wheel guys" out there?

The family and I are going to the western side of Colorado at the end of the month. My wife found some remote trial you can bring your four wheel drive vehicle on. They say it usually takes eight to ten hours to drive 4 miles. I've got a 2002 Yukon XL that sits at a factory ride height with O.E. running boards and "C" range Michelin LTX M/S tires. I'd love the opportunity, but unknown whether mine is suited for this trail, or this is a "dedicated" offroad vehicle trail (like modded Jeeps etc....)
This specific 4WD road to Wheeler (name of the town is "Wheeler") leaves from Hanson's Mill .

Anybody been through there?

Bob

JoshK

Re: Four wheeling in Colorado (vehicles, not ATV's)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2008, 10:17 pm »
I have no idea, but looks like a trail that I'd like to take my dad's jeep (modified) on.  I love going jeepin'.  We have climbed some inclines that nearly made me wet my pants and I have bungee jumped and sky dived many times. 

I'd talk to some locals that know the trail and see what they have to say about your truck.  Do you have a CB? Wench? Going with anyone else?   

My dad may have heard of this trail but I know he hasn't been on it.  He (we) has mostly done Oregon and Western WA logging trails turned jeepin trails. 

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2008, 10:25 pm »
The Forest Service warns that only high clearance 4WD vehicles have a chance on this road (forget your Subaru) and it is impassable when wet.

I have been Jeeping in that general area about 20 years ago. I have not been on that particular trail.

Judging by the Forest Service warning, I, personally, would not want to try it without a rather modded CJ type vehicle with a winch and a couple of buddies in their Jeeps along to tow me out when I get stuck.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2008, 10:39 pm »
Alright, good info.
Mine is 100% O.E. except for an upgrade on the tires. No winch, no CB, no other vehicles coming. Basically I have nothing other than a desire to ride a trail and willing to get a few scratches from tree limbs. :cry:
Anybody know of any all day super scenic "wussy trails" for my Yukon XL?
{In western Colorado}

Bob

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2008, 01:38 am »
Hi Bob, I agree that you shouldn't count on your Yukon to handle any off roading in Colorado. I lived in Vail/Red Cliff area in '78-83 and had a 73 Landcruiser to explore with (just a few simple upgrades - 2" lift, 31" tires, Holley carb). It was really fun but always some hairy situations - erosion, rocks, streams, inclines. It's possible you could come across some forest service roads that are kept up, but these don't always have the best scenery being in the trees alot.
But there are quite a few really awesome places in that part of the state you can get to on the highways, and ask locals for specific sights. If you're driving from St' Louis on 70 you'll see alot just cruising through the Eisenhower tunnel, Copper Mt., Vail, etc. Hang south at Glenwood Springs for Carbondale/Wheeler, Aspen (Maroon Bells is very nice), Crested Butte (Crusty Butt), and you gotta see Black Canyon of the Gunnison (you gotta see it Bob, check the website). Pick a loop that brings you back to 70, easy peasy. There's alot to see and several places to spend a day or more.
Don

TRM

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2008, 02:55 am »
But there are quite a few really awesome places in that part of the state you can get to on the highways, and ask locals for specific sights. If you're driving from St' Louis on 70 you'll see alot just cruising through the Eisenhower tunnel, Copper Mt., Vail, etc. Hang south at Glenwood Springs for Carbondale/Wheeler, Aspen (Maroon Bells is very nice), Crested Butte (Crusty Butt), and you gotta see Black Canyon of the Gunnison (you gotta see it Bob, check the website). Pick a loop that brings you back to 70, easy peasy. There's alot to see and several places to spend a day or more.
Don

This is good advice

sbrtoy

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2008, 08:21 pm »
Lots of cool spots around Aspen and Glenwood Springs. A really easy drive that could be made even in a low clearance vehicle is to go up and over Ajax (aspen mountain) and descend into town, great 360 degree views at the top.  Starting from the far side of Ajax you will be right by Maroon Bells, the most photographed peak in Colorado and an absolutely perfect alpine meadow.  There is a Forest Service office in Aspen right as you enter town and make the 90 degree turn onto the main drag that has maps of the area.

Here is a pic on top of Ajax to whet your appetite...again this is accessible by most anything (this was on our return trip from doing the stupid stuff), I wish we had a wide-angle lens up there!

There are a LOT of places in CO you do not want to be stuck without the right equipment, so be sure to err on the safe side and have fun!  :D

sbrtoy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2008, 08:23 pm »
Oh, and did a quick search on the area you mention in your post, NOT a good area for your vehicle assuming you would like to bring it back with the running boards and transmission still attached...

bprice2

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2008, 09:30 pm »
I couldn't find a town called Wheeler, CO, but I did find a place called Wheeler Geologic Area located near the town of Creede.  Judging by the picture you posted this looks like the place you speak of.  I've spent a lot of time in and around Creede and nearby Lake City.  This is truly an awesome area of CO and there are a ton of things to do.

I found this write-up about the Wheeler Geologic Area.  It sounds like an incredible place to visit and the write-up has a description of the road to get there.  I'm guessing this is the same place you speak of.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2008, 09:45 pm »
NOT a good area for your vehicle assuming you would like to bring it back with the running boards and transmission still attached...
:rotflmao: Yea, that would be nice.  :lol:

Cool! This is helpful folks, thank you very much.
As you can see, I've got an overwhelming desire to get a little muddy and am trying my best to bite off more than I can chew.
Kinda like bring a knife to a gun fight.  :duh: Thanks for helping to keep my running boards intact.

I'll give this information to my wife. She's done very well being "Julie the cruise director" on our past voyages (Old guys may remember the "Love Boat" reference).

Several years ago, her and I took a trip to Wyoming. Found a nice heavily rutted road we were able to 'crawl' along for a half hour or so. That gave me a bit 'the itch' to get back off the beaten path. I realize you hard core off road guys laugh at the idea a heavily eroded road being "off road", but........ :roll: :lol:

Thanks again fellas, bring on any other "bunny trails" you can think of.

Mr. Price, not sure if that's the same place. Probably so based on your description. The wife emailed me the info in my first post. I assumed the towns name was Wheeler. I'll check the link. Thanks BIG TIME for that.  :thumb:

Bob

sbrtoy

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2008, 10:51 pm »
Here is what I found on Wheeler trails thus the recommendation to steer clear, it is also rated difficult on the trail map I have:

Wheeler Lake

Preview: For hard-core four-wheelers, the main feature of this trip is the last obstacle. Other interesting features include Montgomery Reservoir, the Magnolia Mill, and Wheeler Lake. Climbs beautiful valley to high mountain lake with waterfall. Pass directly under Magnolia Mill. Gorgeous seasonal wildflowers. Fun during early-season runoff. Take a fishing pole. ATVs allowed. Absolutely stay on main trail at all times- abuses threaten trail closure. Several large rock obstacles. Very narrow in spots with tight brush that could scratch paint, especially if you have to pull over to pass. Water rushes down the trail during early season snow melt. Not recommended for stock vehicles although I went through with a group of upgraded Land Rovers. They managed the trail with no problems.

Just remember, in a Yukon your biggest issues will be departure angle and breakover, not just raw ground clearance so make sure to take your time and survey anything you are thinking of taking on.  Never fun to have to get towed out of the wilderness...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2008, 11:05 pm »
in a Yukon your biggest issues will be departure angle and breakover,
True, and also the hitch receiver would drag up abrupt uphill climbs.
I've seen guys rip the trailer wiring harness connector bracket right off the truck on off road "follies", especially through creeks when going up the other side.

Ok, I don't want bent driveshafts due to highcenters, I really don't want to get towed out with a transfer case peeing itself all the way out, and I'm kinda fond of my running boards.
Sounds like a hobby I'm not even CLOSE to being equipped for.  :nono:
No problem, I can be content on the 'kiddie course'.

Is there a website I can check out that will have trail difficulty ratings for what I'm looking for?
Something that has a 'stock vehicle' trail listing?

Bob

strider

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2008, 11:42 pm »
Try this link for trail ratings, GPS coordinates, and descriptions of off road areas in Colorado. I can't vouch for accuracy, but would love to see pictures when you get back!

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/coloradotrails/Colorado_4x4_Trails_Maps_GPS_Coordinates_Where_To_Go_4Wheeling.htm

lazydays

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2008, 06:06 am »
I couldn't find a town called Wheeler, CO, but I did find a place called Wheeler Geologic Area located near the town of Creede.  Judging by the picture you posted this looks like the place you speak of.  I've spent a lot of time in and around Creede and nearby Lake City.  This is truly an awesome area of CO and there are a ton of things to do.

I found this write-up about the Wheeler Geologic Area.  It sounds like an incredible place to visit and the write-up has a description of the road to get there.  I'm guessing this is the same place you speak of.

if your doing the Lake City pass you can make it, but some of the other areas are not where you wanta go. I did the Lake City pass a few years ago in my Blazer following an old man and woman in a 3/4 ton Dodge truck (extended cab long bed). He often had to back up a couple times to make it thru the switch backs. Clearence wise; I was pretty much marginal, and the Dodge had plenty. Engineers Pass is about the same, and both can get pretty slippery when the sleet starts to fall (August and September). Forget about the ghost town area just to the North of these passes as they're suited more for ATVs and bikes.
    Before you head up there I'd install a transmission shield and one for the oil cooler lines. Bring a warm coat as you may have to do some walking (flat tires are pretty common), and suggest you bring a good hydraulic jack and plenty of blocking to change tires (it happens to the best of us). If your Yukon is the long wheelbase model like a Suburban then I'd just stay off those trails. rear windows have a nasty habit of popping out on them with frame flex. Lastly bring a good camera.
gary

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2008, 05:29 pm »
More excellent information. THANKS!!

Oh, I'll have PLENTY of photo's. Amen to that!!  aa

Also, thanks for the other link.

By the way, we are going to drive to the top of Pikes Peak as well.  :icon_twisted:

Bob

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jul 2008, 06:05 pm »
More excellent information. THANKS!!

Oh, I'll have PLENTY of photo's. Amen to that!!  aa

Also, thanks for the other link.

By the way, we are going to drive to the top of Pikes Peak as well.  :icon_twisted:

Bob

dress warm Bob as it can get cold up there; even in July. Also note that the area west of Lake City gets snow 12 months a year (I've never been snowed on there, but it's a well known thing.)
gary

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2008, 06:18 pm »
Oh yea!
Before the kids came along, the wife and I camped for a week in Yellowstone. 80F in the day time, 30's at night.
Burr.....
Makes it hard to travel light when you're dressing for two seasons.  :lol:

Bob

sbrtoy

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jul 2008, 07:46 pm »
When you drive up Pikes Peak, as you near the summit there are a series of 180+ degree switchbacks with no guard rail....the unlimited racers take these at about 70-80mph, you have to see it to believe it!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2008, 07:52 pm »
Sounds like a pretty cool trip Bob ... that's the place to be right about now.

I've camped in Yellowstone too, and spent a fair amount of time there.  It's one of those places everybody should see sometime in their life!  Yosemite was the same way, truly awe inspiring.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2008, 08:13 pm »
Yes. The Grand Canyon is another 'must see'. Words can't describe it.
Hell, photo's can't describe a sunset over the canyon on a semi cloudy sky.
Awe inspiring.  aa

Bob