Six Moons

contrarian

Six Moons
« on: 9 May 2008, 03:03 am »
I'm feeling something aint right here.  The "publication" just doesn't feel right to me.  I'm not trying to start rumors - just an observation.  Anyone else sense this? 

Could be times are tough in audio land?

JDUBS

Re: Six Moons
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2008, 03:09 am »
Uhhh...what??

DMF

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2008, 03:13 am »
Are you kidding me?

:scratch:

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2008, 03:15 am »
What do you mean? They have definitely slowed down in reviews... Maybe because its the summer though, or almost.
Mike

Or do you mean Aliens have taken over?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2008, 03:21 am »
Actually, I have to agree.  I have noticed that they have an upcoming review of the Dodd battery pre--- and it has been upcoming for way over 6 months. :scratch:  It just makes me wonder what is the hold up.  Having said that, I do find their reviews informative and helpful.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2008, 03:34 am »
They've lost a couple reviewers to PFonline, and the pace is slightly slower but nothing new going into summer.  Same as last year, it seems.  Those "coming reviews" have always been problematic.  Some stuff stayed on there for months only to drop off without a review.  It's likely the same at other pubs, just that we don't see it.   I personally like their publication, although I couldn't take a steady diet (like anything else).  It's a nice complement to others like PF and EnjoyThe Music, plus our own ezine folks like Tone Audio and Affordable Audio.  I always check their news pages for interesting new stuff, usually esoteric but so what, it's kewl.

kbuzz3

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2008, 03:58 am »
Who switched over to PF online?  Whether i agree with many of 6 moons results is not as important to me as the mags ability to entertain.  You cannot say they are not really really dedicated.  And they write is a way that is most colorful. I enjoy it immensely. I still think there early explorations of the tbi subs was an example of how ahead of the curve they are.

Only problem is i cant take the whole mag with me on the subway...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2008, 04:14 am »
I'm feeling something aint right here.  The "publication" just doesn't feel right to me.  I'm not trying to start rumors - just an observation.  Anyone else sense this? 

Could be times are tough in audio land?

Times are tuff in every land! Just a natural result from the last 8 years of economic upheaval and being that the high end market is small to begin with, I'm surprised things haven't taken their toll sooner but yet there always seems to be a stead flow of new products that are constantly popping up. Now how do you explain that?  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2008, 10:22 am »
I always figure that those who really want to know ask me directly. After all, anything to do with my site when it comes to this type of question would be assumption or second-guessing otherwise.

Re: coming soon, since the name of the writer is attached in that gallery, it'd be very easy to contact that writer with a query on status. Every writer's e-mail is openly listed.

Re: less reviews, go into the archives by date of publication and see what we average per month. That might answer whether we're slowing down or not.

It's amazing how the Internet's ready ability to comment, on anything by anyone, really fosters trigger-happy reactions. All of us at 6moons are pretty approachable so if you want to know from the horse's mouth, ask us.  :duh:

Mind you, conjecture away if you like. I'm merely saying, if you really want to know, ask those most likely to have the answers, not bystanders and outsiders.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2008, 12:24 pm »
Ok  :D

Contrarian, this one is for you!  :D Enjoy!
And when the feelin comes back (I know, but rumour making ain't cool ... !!!)
And the sense, and the feelin...
What is it they say in France? Au contraire"n", mon ami, au contraire"n"  :wink:

Also, this is the industry part of the forum, seriousness should be more prominent here...
It's not really a place to make threads like this!
We do have audio central... for a more general type of conversation, and pm and e-mail if one really needs to be in the know, like Srajan points out.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 9 May 2008, 01:11 pm by Imperial »

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2008, 01:19 pm »
Well... it is a fantastic site with great reviews, and great interviews with product designers. I look everyday in the news section and for new reviews. A big fan.
Mike
« Last Edit: 9 May 2008, 03:05 pm by mcullinan »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2008, 02:41 pm »
I shouldn't have said "a couple reviewers left".  I noticed John Potis's name, for example, in this issue's PF and listed as a new reviewer.  For all I know (very little) these guys do double duty and it's not a big deal.  If it's anything like my industry (application software) it's a very small pool.

Srajan, my comments about "coming reviews" was simply to state that those are not commitments just possibilities, and that because 6Moons shows them to us it is a risk that they can be problematic to readers if and when they fail to launch.  As I said, I'm sure other pubs have the exact same issues, but don't expose them because they fail to tease with "coming reviews".  Frankly, I'd rather see what's on the horizon, and if it doesn't come to fruition so be it.  I've ping'd the reviewers many times (Jeff Day and i have regular email chats about Acoustic Revive, etc.) and to a person the 6moons staff is very responsive.  Same can't be said for all ezines/pubs.

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2008, 05:38 pm »
Well... it is a fantastic site with great reviews, and great interviews with product designers. I look everyday in the news section and for new reviews. A big fan.
Mike
Well said... me too!   plus.. "I like Mike" (AC's own miklorsmith 6moons reviewer)

Airborn

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2008, 06:24 pm »
I read and enjoy Six Moons reviews regularly.  I haven't noticed any slow down or change in the reviews I've read.  Some may find the general writing style a bit tendentious and grandiloquent, perhaps, but I find it a nice contrast to most of the other ezines.  Many of their reviews are accurate, imo.  I know they were spot on about the Onix/Melody Hi-Fi SP3 tube amp, for example, as well as some of the other gear I've owned that they've reviewed.

Srajan is correct about the writers on the whole being approachable, including the Editor.   :icon_surprised:  As an example, last year I posted here at AC about the AV123 Strata Mini review disappearing from the "Upcoming Reviews" section at Six Moons and Srajan responded that it was cancelled due to the unavailability of a review sample.  Mark Schifter from AV123 then chimed in, from China no less, to say a review sample would be on the way soon.  A few months later, viola, the review by Paul Candy was published.  So its true that you can't really know why reviews don't happen or are delayed unless you ask; and if you do, you just might get an answer!  :wink:

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2008, 07:34 pm »
John Potis indeed went to Positive Feedback. A new writer is in the wings to step in and as with any organization, there surely will be more personnel changes in the future.

Re: teasers of coming nexts, occasionally, there are issues with a loaner which require fixing which postpones things. At other times, the issue could be with the reviewer -- health, business, real paying work, death in the family -- that have to take precedence and postpone a conclusion.

Sometimes things will slow down because, for example, I'm currently preparing a comparison of four 300B SETs together with some extensive 300B tube rolling. One of those amps has been reviewed in full already but the comparison conclusion will have to wait until all the other 3 have been handled. The second one is being worked on right now, 3 and 4 are in the wings. What it means for the 1st review in this instant is that it could hang in "preview limbo" for another 4 months. That's simply a side effect of trying to use an opportunity and do comparisons which don't present themselves often. However, anyone reading the "preview" of this amp now will recognize that the review is concluded - except for the comparison.

It does mean that as far as how many reviews of mine move down into the finalized review section will slow down during such phases - and suddenly, there could be 3 or 4 finalized reviews moving down from the preview section in very short order, making those who didn't see the hold wonder how the hell I could possibly review 4 components within 1 week's time -:)

I just came back from the Munich show. That took a whole week out of my schedule which included writing an 11-page report. Then it was catching up on all the rest. So yes, there are cycles but overall, I think we're quite consistent in what we produce...

In general, I always encourage people who really want to know to contact any of us directly. Hoping for our answers in forums is counting on us to check those forums. Most of my writers simply don't have the time or habit. I do occasionally just to keep a finger on the pulse and learn of new things but in general, I too find it more productive to answer reader e-mails in my inbox and focus on creating content and maintaining the site.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2008, 08:27 pm »
Srajan, thanks for the quick reply. There's nothing like hearing directly from the head guy.  I think that all my questions are answered and I eagerly await the next issue!   :thumb:

RodMCV

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2008, 08:36 pm »
I know I am not just speaking for myself when I say this; but, I hold great anticipation for the new reviews that come up at 6moons.

I have honed my critical skills and broadened my audio and musical horizons because of 6moons.

When I was a boy and my new issue of Boys Life and Science News came in,
I'd climb my favorite tree and spend some blissful moments close to the clouds.
Now I do the same but in a more adult way (Ha)! With a Laptop no less!

Rod

kyrill

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2008, 11:39 am »
should we really react to very "unspecified" Feedback about a site? more vague than original posters comment is beyond my grasp..

RodMCV

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2008, 02:14 am »
Well, uh, I guess not. 

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2008, 03:25 pm »
Srajan's eloquent answers are pretty much telling us that this thread has run it's course....and that this may be an opportune time for a new thread.....about all the stuff that happens beyond the scenes.... Srajan and his colleagues from other magazines are very welcome to start threads that will get us to the world where privileged (i.e. reviewers) live..... :D