New Dayton RS150T

FredT300B

New Dayton RS150T
« on: 16 Apr 2008, 02:15 am »
Dayton audio has introduced a new version of the RS150 with a truncated frame, perfect for line arrays. The overall frame diameter is the same 5-15/16" as the standared RS150, but the distance across the truncated part is only 5-1/8". The TS specs suggest this midwoofer would work best in a sealed enclosure, and even then the required volume is relatively high as 6" drivers go, but it looks like a good candidate for a budget line array. The part number is 295-342.

Of course the problem with budget line arrays isn't the woofers, it's the very high price of good ribbon tweeters. But this still looks like a good candidate for use in a budget array with planars such as Neo-8's, or even PT-2's if you're really strapped for cash. Seems like a nice DIY array could be built for about $1,500 or so using nine RS150T's and eight PT-2's.

Anybody care to design one?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-342&FTR=295-342&CFID=42137&CFTOKEN=38553837

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: New Dayton RS150T
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2008, 02:26 am »
I had the pleasure of testing a sample lot from 300 of these drivers.  :)

Today I just finished a new design with eight of the 4-ohm version and eight PT2's per array. Very nice combination and not too expensive either for someone building their first array. The truncated woofers would work as well with some changes to the crossover. Really nice woofer for the $.

FredT300B

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2008, 10:25 am »
The truncated woofers would work as well with some changes to the crossover. Really nice woofer for the $.

I also like the fact that the truncated eight ohm and the non-truncated four ohm versions aren't shielded. If you use a 1" to 1-1/2" baffle, with smaller drivers the huge shielding magnet assembly obstructs most of the driver cutout, even when it's chamfered on the inside. The non-shielded versions allow more breathing room, and who needs shielding now that almost every tv sold is a non-crt type.

Am I calculating the required enclosure volume for the truncated version incorrectly? It looks like each driver would like about 1 cu ft vented, which would require a very deep enclosure. Bigger than the XT-8! This could be a WAF issue even for my ultra tolerant wife.  :nono:

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721_wacsQ#25172328_JymyQ

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2008, 05:55 pm »
The truncated woofers would work as well with some changes to the crossover. Really nice woofer for the $.

I also like the fact that the truncated eight ohm and the non-truncated four ohm versions aren't shielded. If you use a 1" to 1-1/2" baffle, with smaller drivers the huge shielding magnet assembly obstructs most of the driver cutout, even when it's chamfered on the inside. The non-shielded versions allow more breathing room, and who needs shielding now that almost every tv sold is a non-crt type.

Am I calculating the required enclosure volume for the truncated version incorrectly? It looks like each driver would like about 1 cu ft vented, which would require a very deep enclosure. Bigger than the XT-8! This could be a WAF issue even for my ultra tolerant wife.  :nono:

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721_wacsQ#25172328_JymyQ

You can use .5 cubic ft. per woofer and lower the tuning to give you a realistic cabinet size.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2008, 04:11 pm »
Fred, let me tell you a story about those drivers.

But before I tell you that story, let me tell you another story.

Many years ago I was doing a fair amount of business with Tang Band (now TB Speakers). When they really started developing some really good 3 and 4 inch drivers they started sending me samples of everything.

I remember getting a group of those 4 inch woofers and upon looking at them the W657S really looked good.

You can read about that driver here: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w4-657sh.htm

But when I listened to all of those drivers (some of which sounded really good) that particular driver sounded awful. It was like listening to the vocals being played through a wet rag. It was very stale sounding. It was not musical at all. It had nothing going for it. It just had a muffled sound to it.

I knew of another manufacturer that had received samples of that same driver and he said that his sounded so bad that he gave them away to some neighbor kids. He also mentioned that it could really only be put to good use using it as a paper weight.

Later PE contacted me asking about various drivers from TB Speakers as they were looking to carry a bunch of them and they wanted my opinion on them, especially in regards to various tweeters.

Despite anything I may have said they did pick up the W4-657S. They looked great so they had to be good right?

Later I remember reading posts from customers stating that they didn't sound too good.  :roll:

PE never ordered any more of them either.

The funny thing to me was that a lesser priced paper cone 4 inch woofer sounded great.

You can read about the lasted version of it here: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w4-654se.htm

The original S version (not SE) did not have a response that was as smooth as this later version, but it sounded really good. It had a great vocal region that was really clear and detailed. It was smooth and non-fatiguing. It sounded ten times better than the 657 model.

But the 657 had the better frame and bigger motor structure...

So I asked TB to build the exact same 657 model and not change a thing except the cone material. I had them use the cone from the 654 model. See the new W4-655 model on the left.

This thing kicked ass. It sounded great. It totally blew away the metal cone 657. I A/B'ed it with some Jordan's and it blew those away too.

TB made 4 of this woofers. I got 2 of them and later 2 were sent to Bob Reimer at Creative Sound Solutions.

I then had TB build one to my parameters specifically for the line source application. These were used in the Epiphany line sources.

Bob later had them add an XBL^ motor and Copper coated phase plug. This custom woofer became the WR-125 and a full range version later, the FR-125. These woofers are really great sounding woofers.

That metal cone 657 just never cut it.

To me, the Dayton RS series sounds just like the old TB W4-657S. Everything about them sounds exactly the same.

I have had several of them over here. I have heard them several times. I have even had a customer bring his DIY speakers over using them because he just couldn't get good sound out of them. He thought it might have been his crossover, but it wasn't it was just the way the woofer sounded.

From my experience with them, I can't recommend them for anything. PE has other drivers that sound better even in the budget price range. There are better choices.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2008, 05:01 pm »
Danny you certainly are entitled to your opinion but you have an obvious bias against metal cone drivers. The RS line is very popular among DIY builders the truncated version of the RS150 was spec'd by an engineer with many years of experience including speakers that were featured on the front cover of Stereophile. Zaph Audio has tested several drivers from the RS line and they performed well, especially considering the cost.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2008, 05:17 pm »
Rick, if you like them then by all means...

The W4-657S performed well in measurements too.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2008, 07:18 pm by Danny »

FredT300B

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2008, 06:57 pm »
Fred, let me tell you a story about those drivers... 

Several designers have worked with the RS drivers and seem to like them. I recently completed a pair of Jon Marsh's RS180 Modula MT's which I'm very happy with. It would be interesting to compare a pair of RS-based speakers to some other speaker using comparably priced paper cone drivers. The only comparison I've been able to do was my Modula MT's in an A/B comparison with another Houston Audio Society member's standmounts using Accuton ceramic dome tweeters and Eton's best woofers (about 10X the price of the RS drivers). I needn't say which sounded better, by a wide margin.

JH

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2008, 01:59 pm »

Several designers have worked with the RS drivers and seem to like them. I recently completed a pair of Jon Marsh's RS180 Modula MT's which I'm very happy with. It would be interesting to compare a pair of RS-based speakers to some other speaker using comparably priced paper cone drivers. The only comparison I've been able to do was my Modula MT's in an A/B comparison with another Houston Audio Society member's standmounts using Accuton ceramic dome tweeters and Eton's best woofers (about 10X the price of the RS drivers). I needn't say which sounded better, by a wide margin.

Also, doesn't the line array configuration improve on the distortion aspects as well by having so many drivers in the first place? I've noticed, as my array isn't completed/sealed, the back panel gets a good kick from all those drivers moving air at the same time, yet if you watch them the individual cones are just barely moving.

JH

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2008, 02:49 pm »

Also, doesn't the line array configuration improve on the distortion aspects as well by having so many drivers in the first place? I've noticed, as my array isn't completed/sealed, the back panel gets a good kick from all those drivers moving air at the same time, yet if you watch them the individual cones are just barely moving.

JH

As far as non-linear distortion you're right. The drivers don't have to work nearly as hard mechanically or thermally.

JH

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:37 am »

JH

As far as non-linear distortion you're right. The drivers don't have to work nearly as hard mechanically or thermally.

Disregarding the driver parameters used for the crossover design does this then boil down to a decision based on the tonal qualities of the driver construction materials?  :duh: perhaps this is obvious but I had to ask it. 

How much does an array configuration change the tonal qualities of the individual drivers used? Not sure if my question makes sense. If I have a Seas mid-woofer moving through most of it's excursion and an RS driver moving through most of it's excursion I would intuitively (which may be wrong :D ) expect the superior Seas driver characteristics to really be pronounced or evident. If I have array of each type is this tonal difference enhanced or diminished by the reduction in the drivers movement.

JH

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:47 am »
does this then boil down to a decision based on the tonal qualities of the driver construction materials?

Materials used has a lot to do with how a driver sounds.

How much does an array configuration change the tonal qualities of the individual drivers used?

It doesn't. The tonal qualities remain the same. If the driver sounds bad, then using a bunch of them gives you more of the same.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2008, 06:05 pm »

JH

Disregarding the driver parameters used for the crossover design does this then boil down to a decision based on the tonal qualities of the driver construction materials?  :duh: perhaps this is obvious but I had to ask it. 

How much does an array configuration change the tonal qualities of the individual drivers used? Not sure if my question makes sense. If I have a Seas mid-woofer moving through most of it's excursion and an RS driver moving through most of it's excursion I would intuitively (which may be wrong :D ) expect the superior Seas driver characteristics to really be pronounced or evident. If I have array of each type is this tonal difference enhanced or diminished by the reduction in the drivers movement.

JH

It's a combination of things - materials, suspension design, motor design, and cone profile. There are both good and mediocre drivers within the same cone material. Paper cones can be quite different depending on the other materials added to the mix - kevlar, carbon fibre, etc. and metal cones can have different alloys and surface treatments or anodizing.