iPod Touch Questions

rick57

full control of iTunes
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2008, 02:40 pm »
If (having another iPod) buying iTouch as a remote – with either Signal or Remote Buddy (or something else?), do you get the full ability to control volume; display and scroll by eg genre, etc; display album cover?

Thanks,

Rick

bcretty

Re: iPod Touch Questions
« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2008, 03:37 pm »
Yes to all the above with Signal. Haven't tired remote buddy yet but plan to. My only complaint with signal is that it can not bring my my mac mini out of sleep mode. Does anyone know how to do this with signal or if remote buddy can do this?

Thanks.
Brian

pardales

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:17 pm »
Is there a device that one can use to connect a hard-drives to, run iTunes, talk to an iTouch or similar wifi remote, and run a USB cable out to a DAC?

The obvious answer is the Squeezebox, but I am thinking about something that does not need to connect to a CPU at all. I am asking because I would like to consider ways to get the computer out of the chain, but still be able to access all my music through iTunes, a hard drive, and run a USB out to my DAC.

bcretty

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:21 pm »
Why not a Mac Mini or a used Mac Book?

pardales

« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2008, 06:03 pm »
Yes, a macbook or mini would work. I am currently using a G4 powerbook. Just a suspicion that a noisy computer might be worth avoiding if possible, but I still want a fully wired connection.

low.pfile

Re: full control of iTunes
« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2008, 06:42 pm »
If (having another iPod) buying iTouch as a remote – with either Signal or Remote Buddy (or something else?), do you get the full ability to control volume; display and scroll by eg genre, etc; display album cover?

Thanks,

Rick

The screen shots at alloysoft.com show representations of the screens. they are nearly identical to iTunes screens though the interface is slightly different. http://www.alloysoft.com/screenshots.html

Signal's volume interface is linked to the itunes volume. I rarely use that volume, instead use the amp's volume/remote.

With Signal you can choose music by Genre, Artist, Album, again just like iTunes.

-ed

bcretty

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2008, 09:01 pm »
Yes, a macbook or mini would work. I am currently using a G4 powerbook. Just a suspicion that a noisy computer might be worth avoiding if possible, but I still want a fully wired connection.

I use a Mac Mini And it's dead quiet. You could run a usb cable less then 16Ft through a wall and keep your hd's and mac mini or g4 in another room if noise is a concern. Trust me a refurbed mac mini from apple for $429 is the perfect solution. I hook mine up to my plasma and it's simply beautiful. I also use an Ipod touch running signal as a remote.

Enjoy!

Brian

pardales

« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:28 am »
So you use your plasma as a screen for the mini or do you also have a computer screen? It is not the external noise of the machine itself I am concerned about, it is the noise that the computer adds into the audio chain. Perhaps this is not really a concern?

I got an 8Gb Touch and Signal and it works really well.

santacore

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2008, 03:10 am »
pardales, you need to have some form of CPU running things. As far as I know it's impossible to go from HD directly to DAC.

Any opinions on which remote software is better for controlling iTunes? I've been using the Signal demo and like it overall. My main beef with it is that I can't seem to play a album all the way through. It seems like I can only play 1 song at a time. It's probably user error, what am I missing?

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #29 on: 19 Apr 2008, 04:44 am »
When navigating into an album you can tap on either the album name to drill down into the album, or you can tap on the plus button next to the album name to select either Play Now or Add to Queue. Play Now will clear the current queue and just play the contents of the album, while Add to Queue will add the contents of the album to the current queue.

pardales

« Reply #30 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:29 pm »
Signal works great. Follow the directions Computer Audiophile suggests and you it will solve the problem you are having. I ran into that too and the Signal folks helped me figure it out.

Signal works as advertised. In the future I hope it will mirror iTunes a bit more, but it is really good.