If you're looking for a new weight lifting routine...

ctviggen

Especially if you want to perform some weightloss routines, I highly recommend "The New Rules of Lifting":

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum-Muscle/dp/1583332383/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8063172-7744960?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181909986&sr=1-1

I've been a pseudo-bodybuilder on and off for many years, and the weightloss routines in this book are by far the hardest workouts I've ever had.  And I used to perform squats, then immediately perform leg curls, then immediately perform standing calf raises (or benchpress followed immediately by pullups followed immediately by traps shrugs).  That's nothing compared to the workouts in this book. 

I think my previous routines were too isolatory.  I never really developed a good midsection and other supporting sections.  By contrast, some of the exercises in this book (like the bulgarian split squat with overhead press) are very hard because those weak midsection/balancing muscles are getting a ton of work.

Anyway, if you're looking to try something different that has less emphasis on isolation exercises and more emphasis on total-body exercises, I highly recommend this book.   

John Casler

Re: If you're looking for a new weight lifting routine...
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2007, 02:50 pm »
There is a "trend" to what many might call "more functional" type exercises, and routines.

As exercise became more and more popular, and machines, and health clubs flourished, and Physical Therapy and Rehab attempted to become "more" scientific, the exercise actions and movements became more and more localized and isolated.

This trend has been in effect for over 30 years, and due to a collective lack of direction it dominated the industry.

Add this to the fact that lifting weights without a good understanding of what you are doing can lead to "injury" and you have; EXERCISE the MACHINE GENERATION.

Isolated actions, via well braced machines, reduce the activation of other muscles acting as "stabilizers" and they then decondition and become less active in their functions.

If you look at most of the machines, they generally have you seated or lying down.  Few of us go through our active lives functionally creating large muscular forces while sitting or lying down for the most part.

Stabilization is generally what makes an action safe and effective.

Inhibiting and deconditioning this function by bracing yourself in a machine ultimately leads to an instability in the function and back problems, shoulder problems, etc. :duh:

I haven't read Al's book but he is a little outrageous in person and very colorful in his language.  Schuler is a writer familiar with the subject.

The most difficult thing to do for most people, is to become aware of an overview of what is needed, and how to enter and progressively improve without going overboard to the point of injury, or underboard to the point of wasting time.

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2007, 02:53 pm »
Looks good I might pick this up. My problem is I would like to stay with just dumbells.

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2007, 03:34 pm »
I don't think these people exist everywhere, but if anyone is looking for a trainer who specializes in the type of regimine that's been laid out here...they are called Naprapathics.

here in Chicago is, i think, the only school for Naprapathy in the U.S....but if you search the web for Naprapathy there might be someone local.

its all about balance, the core (midsection) with a bit of pilates thrown in.  Essentially, using very defined groups of muscles rather than isolating is the key to it all.  But, understanding where your body is compared to where it could be is where working with a qualified trainer really pays off.

to summarize a Naps Dr.:  nutritionist, kenesthesiologist, anatomy expert, shaman, ninja...and a little bit of Yoda (from Star Wars) thrown in for good measure.   the women i worked with for about 2 yrs really opened my eyes to health in general.   She straightened a bad curve in my spine, corrected some ankle issues and helped my digestive tract...just with a weekly work-out and lots of swimming + massage.

there was still a lotta pain to the gain, but it was fun feeling it all work.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2007, 04:20 pm »
Looks good I might pick this up. My problem is I would like to stay with just dumbells.

Some of the exercises are very easy to adapt to dumbells.  My chiropractor is against two handed movements (i.e., moving both hands at the same time, such as a typical bench press).  I've had injuries to my shoulder area (rotator cuff mainly).  I initially performed as many movements as possible with dumbells and only moving one arm/leg at a time.  However, as I've been getting stronger, I've switched back to multiple arm movements to no ill effect (where's that wood to knock on?).  The weight loss routines place an emphasis on squatting and deadlift, so I'm not sure that these would be suitable for dumbells, but maybe. 

John and Gooberdude, I definitely think that whole body exercise with a combination of other practices are good.  I'm currently trying to see what my blood glucose readings are, as my blood sugar has been high the last two physicals.  In my opinion, that's way worse than high cholesterol. 

Anyway, I used to go to the gym and secretly laugh at people who used those massive balloon type balls.  Well, there's an exercise in this book where you place your heels on a ball, with your upper body flat on the ground.  You then lift/pull your knees until your body is straight.  You then pull the ball toward your body until your feet are flat on the ball.  You reverse this process, and that's one repetition.  That is one freaking hard exercise.  Not only that, but this exercise and exercises like it have tremendously helped my lower back. 

The best thing is that I can get a heck of a workout in about 45 minutes, including warmup and stretching.  That's not bad. 

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2007, 07:32 pm »

Some of the exercises are very easy to adapt to dumbells.  My chiropractor is against two handed movements (i.e., moving both hands at the same time, such as a typical bench press).  I've had injuries to my shoulder area (rotator cuff mainly).  I initially performed as many movements as possible with dumbells and only moving one arm/leg at a time.  However, as I've been getting stronger, I've switched back to multiple arm movements to no ill effect (where's that wood to knock on?).  The weight loss routines place an emphasis on squatting and deadlift, so I'm not sure that these would be suitable for dumbells, but maybe. 

John and Gooberdude, I definitely think that whole body exercise with a combination of other practices are good.  I'm currently trying to see what my blood glucose readings are, as my blood sugar has been high the last two physicals.  In my opinion, that's way worse than high cholesterol. 

Anyway, I used to go to the gym and secretly laugh at people who used those massive balloon type balls.  Well, there's an exercise in this book where you place your heels on a ball, with your upper body flat on the ground.  You then lift/pull your knees until your body is straight.  You then pull the ball toward your body until your feet are flat on the ball.  You reverse this process, and that's one repetition.  That is one freaking hard exercise.  Not only that, but this exercise and exercises like it have tremendously helped my lower back. 

The best thing is that I can get a heck of a workout in about 45 minutes, including warmup and stretching.  That's not bad. 

Interesting about your chiropractor, but then chiros operate on a different playing field many times.  There is nothing inherently wrong with bilateral actions.

Regarding your Blood Sugar levels; that can be a VERY SERIOUS issue and can signal several things that need be addressed.

Most importantly if your blood sugar is elevated you may be developing "insulin resistance" which in turn may lead to hyperinsulinization and this then creates inflammation of the interior lining of the arteries, and this causes cholesterol and calcium to "coat" that lining to protect it, and bingo, the beginnings of arterio and atherosclerosis.

A few immediate measures are:

1) Dietary change limiting meals to 500 cal each, but more of them
2) Food selections to slow digestion (usually means adding a little fat and eating raw foods to each meal)
3) Adding indigestible fiber to the diet (Coaches Oats are great)
4) Exercise daily
5) Increase intake of Anti-oxidants.

Most "rotator cuff" injuries are caused from the inability to "stabilize" the shoulder. when performing certain actions under force/load

I have Coaches Oats recipe and their web address on my "other" forum (more Exercise, Strength, Fitness and Health oriented) that I just started.

Look here:

http://bioforce.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=discuss&action=display&thread=1181154545
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2007, 08:11 pm by John Casler »

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2007, 08:44 pm »
I think those massive balloon looking balls are here to stay.    I even have one at home.   In addition to about 100 other exercises with that thing, the one that killed me each time is doing push-ups with it.

Grab the largest ball with hands pretty far apart (on the sides) perpedicular to the floor, and as i'm struggling my trainer begins kicking the ball hard, many times.   It forces my entire midsection to maintain balance all the while i'm attempting push-ups that are difficult even without the added jarring.  Often i'd do these with one leg or the other raised as well...not cool when there are chicks around!

Look around now, there's an adaptation to these balls...they are cut in half.   The new half balls up the anty a bit more 'cuz you can stand on 'em and do lots of difficult 'balance and lift' type exercises.

Some of the few exercise tools i still use come from Fitterfirst.  Their Balance boards are awesome, and my dad and granny enjoy the Active Sitting balloons for back issues.   If anyone has a pregnant wife, these $25 seat cushions are simply amazing.    they really relieve stress on the lowest vertebrae and ultimately loosen up the last 3 or 4 discs bigtime.

I had rotator cuff issues too, they are hard to get past.  My trainer never let me use more than a 3 lb weight and the exercise was a bit whacky.  Lay on a bench with your chest resting on the edge, facing the floor.  Grab a 3lb'er in each hand and kinda act like Superman, but keep arms in line with body, not the ground, and act like you're a snow angel.   3 minutes of this and i was toast...pretty hilarious.   But, i haven't damaged my shoulders in a while.

My trainer is so unbelievable in terms of what she could see just by watching me walk.  One time i walked in the gym for a session & she asks what's wrong with my back...I say 'nothing' and before i know it i'm laid out on the ground in a daze.  All she did was grab near my elbow and that triggered a whole slew of shit, & my knees buckled.   She smiled and said 'you aren't sleeping on your side again are you?' and laughed.   i'm tellin ya'll, Naprapathics are a wild bunch.  All anatomy and no drugs to help people...   We worked to correct my curvy spine issues by working out my ankles, and so on.   

i've been out of the gym since a long trip to Costa Rica last year...i got complacent and since i've become fat.  ahhh, a vicious cycle!

It is true that many activities shouldn't be done with both hands...there has to be a balance.  Work the front of your bod?  next work the back and so on.  What's messed up is how sympathetic some our ligaments and tendons are to other parts of our bodies that just don't make sense.   If i had pain in my knee we'd work on my neck or wrists.  crap like that always puzzled me until 3 days later.  then it was like 'Oh!'.

essentially, we can build & maintain ultra strong muscle tissue (there are 3 layers, most only work out 1 of them) with weights less than 20 or 30 lbs per side. natural resistance is best.   its all about technique and discipline.  both of which i've lost!