LotR: TT

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 27 Aug 2003, 04:14 am »
Well, watching this has really got me chomping at the bit for the upcoming expanded edition (although I did have to pause the standard version twice for the call of nature! :lol: ).  I wanted to watch the expanded Fellowship first, then the TT, but logistically it didn't work out.

What can I say?  Great picture, unbelievable sound, just a fantastic movie all around.  I can honestly say I can't imagine how they could have cast it any better (save finding a role for Patrick Stewart somewhere...) and everyone was superb.

I've still got time for another (standard length :wink: ) movie tonite, and my brother has The Matrix on DVD.  After all this time I may just get it watched tonight! :o  :lol:

cyounkman

« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2003, 06:27 am »
This film is a real masterpiece of casting, direction, etc., not to mention the mind-blowing physical challenges of making it happen. Ultimately, though, it's the faithfulness to the spirit of the book (if not in every detail) that makes it work for me.

bob82274

Re: LotR: TT
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2003, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Well, watching this has really got me chomping at the bit for the upcoming expanded edition (although I did have to pause the standard version twice for the call of nature! :lol: ).  I wanted to watch the expanded Fellowship first, then the TT, but logistically it didn't work out.

Yea I have felt that the standard version of TT was too short and a little chopped up due to the 3 hr time limit.  Oh and I did actually sit there and watched first the Extended edition Fellowship followed by TT...  Started round 7 and got done around 2:30. Unfortunatly I had to get up for class at 8 (suppose its better than the 6 or 7 I was getting up at for work though). I think that TT was much better after watching it right after Fellowship.

Nothing like sitting back and enjoying a great movie with a couple of cold ones. :mrgreen:

Ferdi

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2003, 04:03 pm »
I just got my copy. A local supermarket was running a special promotion where you could get a copy by redeeming some loyalty points. Still have to watch it.....

grub

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2003, 05:19 pm »
Hey Rob, when are they going to release the special edition DVD?
I'm assuming it'll be like the Fellowship one?
-->grub

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2003, 06:03 pm »
November it will be available.   Watched the standard edition last night.  The expanded glimpses on the 2nd dvd made me drool!

KevinW

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2003, 03:42 am »
Yeah, I love Tolkien.  Read all the books many times, and I still remember where I was the day I read Gandalf had died.  Kinda like when Kennedy was shot to a 12 yr old fantasy geek.

So now that I've established my credentials, I don't like the tampering with the book in TTT.  In particular, the trip to Osgiliath, which was needless, and Aragorn's tumble off the cliff.

I love the analogy between Saruman and Sauron's plans to dominate nature with machines, and the ring as the one bit of technology that could temporarily save and then ultimately doom.  It's similar to the Matrix and the Terminator as to what would happen if technology spirals out of balance from nature. Domination by Sauron ain't all that different from domination by machines, except for slight change of venue.   :P