Edge Amplifer Designer in the House!

brad b

« on: 23 Jul 2003, 05:31 pm »
Danny Richie and Steven Norber of Edge Amplifers are friends, and Steven has been looking for a good ribbon for his own prototype speaker so he popped over for a listen.  It's a little unsettling to have an amp designer of the highest caliber listening to "Blue Collar" gear.  He was very gracious while explaning why he designs $70,000 monoblock amplifiers with blue light lasers, 4 transformers per unit, $7000 worth of milled aluminum, etc..

The great news is that he has Jason type ears, and immediately moved my left speaker assymetrically to my right, popping a subtle vocal track right into focus.  Crap, I would not have done that in a million years.

By the way, he thought the ribbon was the best sounding ribbon he has heard, with a slight metallic sound present, but much less than anything else.  He was happy and has ordered that ribbon for his project, so stay tuned.  Here is a link to the rich and famous, although he is about as laid back as they get!

http://www.edgeamp.com/

Pez

« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2003, 07:57 pm »
Nice! Does he need anybody else with monitor ribbons to test his gear?

brad b

Edge!!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2003, 02:08 am »
Pez:  Steven was so far beyond me it was like talking to frickin Einstein about his favorite equations, and he was trying to be very deliberate and kind without passing out crayons for me to scribble with!! Holy crap, talk about nodding about his blue laser biasing without knowing shit about what the f___ his blue biasing laser was really doing.... What a great guy.  

I told him we had this weird group of Audio Wannabe's and he was talking about having a get together at his new house, and maybe have a listen to a couple of his ideas.  Get this.. He has his fricken $30,000 monoblocks in an old Hafler case, and his Preamp has bigger power supplies and transformers  than my power amp, all in some no name black crappy box he threw them into.  What a hoot...

He also is the only other person that has ears like yours....I don't get it.  My ears are bigger than yours, why the hell can't I hear better... Don't laugh, someday you'll have hair growing out of places you won't like either....
b

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2003, 02:12 am »
That's awesome.  If any of these audio geniuses were passing through HK I would host them at my place in an instant, though i do admit I would be on my toes waiting on their every word!

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2003, 02:12 am »
That's awesome.  If any of these audio geniuses were passing through HK I would host them at my place in an instant, though i do admit I would be on my toes waiting on their every word!