Bolder Power Cords-First Impressions

Museeuw

Bolder Power Cords-First Impressions
« on: 4 Jul 2003, 01:28 am »
Greetings to AC members. This is my first post.  I've done my first PC cord testing with Wayne's Nytro(Furutech IEC), Type 1(discont) & Type 2's cords. I've only used stock cords until these were received. The other bad news is that these sessions were done before receiving my pending pr. of M-80's IC's for the Arcam analog out, 3 ea.M-80 IC's for the front 3 channel's, 3ea. M-80 speaker for same, and 1 digital for DVD's(all with silver bullets & waiting return from cyro). All PC's are approx. 3ft. First up was the Nytro PC on the Arcam. Listening to Dr.John's 'Duke Elegant' and Cassadra Wilson's 'Belly of the Sun'(through the analog outputs of the Arcam), the delineation of instruments was a whole new experience. The attacking edge of every instrument had transient speed I'd never heard before. Mid-bass and more signifigantly, low bass that was missing was now laying a foundation, bass guitar strings had throaty grumble. Nice.
  I had put the Type 1 PC on the Anthem MCA-50 amp & left it there because I'd heard most solid state amps were least sensitive to PC's. I had a Type 2 on the Anthem AVM-20 controller. I trying switching the Nytro out for a second Type 2 onto the Arcam Source and was surprised by it's more forward presentation. Even more detail was coming through, more breath on vocals, and cymbals and percussion would have given me a facial at Concert volume. With this shift in balance, there was also a loss of deep bass focus. But this extra detail made the music more, not less engaging, though sacrificing the bass clarity of the Nytro PC, which I loved.  I want to like the Nytro better, and I will have to try more material to decide which cord is right for me. And because the 'chain' of M-80's will be arriving soon, this could upset the balance of what I'm hearing now(& there is another cyro'd Nytro in the batch, too). This is definitely a first impression.
  On a secondary note, I'd been using the Type 2 cord on the AVM-20 and threw the Nytro cord on it mainly to see how the Furutech IEC would hold to the 2-prong Anthem plug.  WOW. The music improved harmonically BUT it seemed to be beaming more from the speakers now, less soundstage.  Is the "digital hash" I'd heard about on lesser cords(OEM or the Type 2-God forbid) what I'm now mistaking for recording ambience ? This is the impression I did get thugh, right at the end of the session and will try again with more material to confirm, but I thought my head had come off it's pivot, the difference seemed so signifigent.

System: Arcam DV-27 DVD/CD source (on HAL-O tenderfeet)
             Sony DirectTV HD receiver
             Anthem AVM-20 controller(tenderfeet) & MCA-50 amp
             Revel Performa M-20 stereo frt pr,C-30 center,B-15 sub,S-30 surr.
Current cables: PC's- Bolder Type 2 on Arcam DVD, Bolder Type-2 on AVM-20, Bolder Type 1 on amp, Bolder Nytro on Revel B-15 sub.
                       IC's- OEM Monster on Arcam analog 1M, Transparent digital 1M $100 level, stereo IC's Transparent 200's. 3ea IC's Monster ?
                       Speaker-Stereo pr. Transparent 100, center MIT from installer, Surround's Monster Cable flat under carpet, SUB cable is Bolder M-80 3M.
  Room is 16ft.(w) 30ft.(l) 8ft.(h) w/w carpet w/rugs & bookshelves

The home system is HT/stereo: Arcam DV27 player(dual Wolfson DAC's & 3 asyncronous clocks) & DirectTV Sony HD receiver