piano hinges

chadh

piano hinges
« on: 8 Sep 2006, 04:10 pm »

Any suggestions as to where to look for piano hinges for OB construction?  I checked Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware online, and they had nothing.  Is this something I should be able to find at a standard hardware store?  Or do I need to buy online, or at some kind of specialty store?

Chad

Wayner

Re: piano hinges
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2006, 04:23 pm »
Go to a hobby/craft store. They should have brass in 3 foot lengths.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2006, 04:36 pm »
You can save some time money by using regular hinges.  I really don't think the type of hinge  is going to make any real difference in what you hear.

John.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2006, 06:35 pm »
I found my 3 foot piano hinges in Home Depot in Burlington, Ontario, Canada no problem.

While I agree that any type of hinge can likely be used, perhaps (and I chose my works carefully) the advantage to the piano hinge, is the length, and thus uninterupted panel fold?

I bet a length of inner tube (likely bicycle) cut and stapled to the back of the panel would be cheaper, and easier to install - pre drilling and then screwing in 45 screws per hinge, 2 hinges per panel.....!

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2006, 07:53 pm »

Any suggestions as to where to look for piano hinges for OB construction?  I checked Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware online, and they had nothing.  Is this something I should be able to find at a standard hardware store?  Or do I need to buy online, or at some kind of specialty store?

Chad

Hey!

Chad, check eBay... I'm sure you could find some there and cheaper....really.  :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Stempy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2006, 09:21 pm »
I used 3 layers of duct tape stapled close to either edge;works fine.

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2006, 04:26 am »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Chad

eric the red

« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2006, 05:44 am »
Here ya go (There might be a few left at the site-I could check for you as I am in Eugene...)  :lol:
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060908/NEWS/609080330
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2006, 03:24 pm by eric the red »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2006, 11:14 am »
I've seen continous aluminum hinges used on commercial doors (good for those really heavy duty wings).

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2006, 04:46 am »
Personally, if you plan on using a driver that puts out any serious bass on an open baffle with wings, I'd consider skipping the hinges altogether and mount those wings as rigidly to the baffle as possible. My baffles have just short 6 inch wings made of 7/8 inch thick MDF. When I hit strong bass notes you can feel the panels vibrating like mad. They are glued to a top and bottom plate and have hinges that have been bypassed by silicone caulk. I suspect they'd vibrate even if rigidly mounted, but maybe not as much. It's truly unbelievable how much vibration there is. Far more than a typical MDF box would have. It's bound to be coloring the sound some. I'm planning new wingless baffles to solve the problem.

Dave :)