DC Metro Audio Club

thelser

DC Metro Audio Club
« on: 8 Jun 2006, 12:04 pm »
The first meeting of the DC Metro Audio Club is set for 6:30 to 10:00, this Saturday, the 10th, F2 Audio, 7105 Marbury Court, Falls Church, VA 703-532-7239. To be open, I moved here in 1996 from LA, where I started another audio club with a close friend of mine and it turned out to be successful. Since then, I tried about 8 years ago to start one here, but there was not much interest at the time. I helped open a home-based audio showroom about two years ago, F2 Audio. The first meeting is at F2; others can be at member’s homes, studios, manufacturers, other dealers, etc. That model worked well in LA then and continues to work well there That said, I hope some of you find this of interest and plan to participate.

The following is a recent post that gives final details for Saturday. Hope to see you there!

We are grilling burgers and dogs with the normal sides starting at 5:30. All are welcome; no need to bring anything. Gregg Dunn from Cary Audio is planning on being there for the BBQ and meeting. In addition to the new Cary Concept gear (we also have the 805 Anniversary amps, SLP-05 preamp, 303 CD player, etc.), we'll be auditioning the recently available Acoustic Zen Adagio speaker. I imagine we'll keep 6:30 to 7:00 open for meet and greet (my wife, Carrie, will man the sign-in /name badge table, much like she did at the last club we started), 7:00 to 7:15 for basic introductions and club setup, 7:15 to 7:30-ish for Gregg to discuss and field questions, then the rest of the evening to listen to music and plan the next meeting. We (as F2 Audio) are currently between turntables, so CDs only.

Hopefully we'll get a group of people who have the desire to help make the club continue and grow. We can discuss details at the meeting. The last club I formed with a friend in CA only stayed together because of the people we had helping out. It was also a lot of fun when that happened.

Note that the BBQ is dependent on the weather. Pouring rain/lightning and we won't have the BBQ, but will start the meeting at 6:30. Feel free to call if the weather is questionable (www.f2audio.com). Also, the driveways are off limits for parking. The one is an easement to the house in the back.. Should be plenty of parking in the cul-de-sac and local streets.

That said, show up, bring ideas, friends, significant others, and good music (CDs) that you know well (those strange discs we all have for listening to new gear) and some that you just like. We may not be able to play all selections in the time allotted, but we'll do our best to accommodate everyone.

Please feel free to contact me by email for more info and also feel free to forward this to anyone in the local area you think might be interested.

SWG255

The D.C. Audio Club gathering at F2 Audio
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2006, 01:54 am »
First, thanks to Larry, his wife, and to Greg from Cary Audio for a very enjoyable and informative evening. Prior to this I have had very little experience with the Cary gear. After spending an evening listening to the Concept integrated amplifier and CD player, the fabulous SLP-05 tube preamp and 806 tube power amp through various Von Schweikert and Acoustic Zen speakers, i can say with no reservation that the Cary gear is excellent. The listening room at F2 Audio is also very fine too.

The best part of the gathering, as always, were the people who showed up, and the great music they brought along.

Maybe at some point we can combine members from MAAC and this new group, we'll see. Just getting together to listen to great music on great gear with fellow audiophiles is always a good time!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
DC Metro Audio Club
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:49 pm »
Looks like I missed a chance to listen to some excellent stuff.  I was sipping Champaigne on the beach at Paradise Cove in Malibu by the time this notice was posted.  I hope I can make the next one.  Sounds very promising and F2 is only 10 minutes away.......

HChi

DC Metro Audio Club
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2006, 01:47 pm »
Due to other prior committment, I was unable to attend. F2 Audio carries some nice lines and I hope there will be furture gatherings taking place there, so that I can give these LA Hometown people some support!  :)