Advice sought - Hafler 500

Cool Ohm

• So many projects, so little time
Advice sought - Hafler 500
« on: 3 Sep 2022, 08:08 pm »
Hi there!

Looking for advice on a possible restoration of my Hafler 500 amplifier.  I bought this monster about 10 years ago to drive my power hungry Ohm F’s.  It is bog standard and has worked just fine all this time.  A good friend of mine also had a DH-500.  On impulse, he bought an upgrade kit from Fantasia Audio on ebay.  It includes new cascode driver boards and all the components (and instructions) required to populate and install the boards.  He sold his amplifier before installing the board kit.   

I have been following Fantasia for years.  The gentleman behind this operation has a great reputation and is very pleasant to do business with (my purchase history with him includes a DH-110 preamp rebuild kit).

Anyway the kit is now available to me.  Seems like a big job.  Is this a worthwhile undertaking and should I proceed?  What kind of results should I expect?

Any opinions, or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

David

milanomike

Re: Advice sought - Hafler 500
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2022, 06:30 pm »
I have a 500, but it is simply refreshed.  I used the big capacitors from Ed at Fantasia and replaced all the electrolytics along with the dc balancing semiconductors.  This thing sounds really nice.  I have read, check Audiokarma, that Ed's boards are really good, but unfortunately, I have not heard them.

You will need to load and solder the boards and of course install the boards.  At the time I refurb'd mine I also did the PC-9 board (I think its PC9) so all would be fresh.

Good luck.