bicycles

Mad DOg

bicycles
« Reply #80 on: 2 May 2005, 05:52 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Guys,

Are you mostly referring to hybrid bikes?

Do you have any url's for bike shops which sell competitively priced road/racing bikes?

Thanks

Rod

www.supergo.com
www.coloradocyclist.com

timbley

My bike
« Reply #81 on: 2 May 2005, 06:49 am »
I like my folding bike! But, I work for a folding bike company, so I may be biased. Here's a cool article my girlfriend wrote about me and my fancy racing folding bike!

http://www.bikefriday.com/main.cfm?fuseaction=WhatDoYouDo.gallery&rider=AAABikeFridayLinkTim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: My bike
« Reply #82 on: 2 May 2005, 08:42 am »
Quote from: timbley
I like my folding bike! But, I work for a folding bike company, so I may be biased. Here's a cool article my girlfriend wrote about me and my fancy racing folding bike!

http://www.bikefriday.com/main.cfm?fuseaction=WhatDoYouDo.gallery&rider=AAABikeFridayLinkTim
Tim on his Pocket Rocket...nice looking bike !!!
    [/list:u]

timbley

Re: My bike
    « Reply #83 on: 2 May 2005, 02:02 pm »
    Thanks! It really is a sweet little machine. It's all Dura Ace except for the rear hub and cassette, which is special for small wheeled bikes, and has a 9 tooth cog for the high gear.

timbley

bicycles
    « Reply #84 on: 3 May 2005, 04:05 am »
    Oh no! That's not actually my bike! :lol: I borrowed that while mine was under construction.
    It doesn't matter. Mine looks pretty much the same.

Rocket

bicycles
    « Reply #85 on: 8 May 2005, 04:31 am »
    hi,

bugger bikes  :!:  

i hit a rock on saturday whilst riding my racer.  i have broken collar bone,have been on morphine.

regards rod

ps hard to type left handed  :(

jonwb

bicycles
    « Reply #86 on: 8 May 2005, 05:13 am »
    Quote from: Rocket
    hi,

stuff bikes :?:

i hit a rock on saturday whilst riding my racer.  i have broken collar bone,have been on morphine.

regards rod

ps hard to type left handed  :(

Sorry to hear about your accident Rod, gravity is a bitch.  I recall when I'm watching bike races on TV the commentators are always talking about guys breaking thier collar bone(s); must be a common injury for the sport.  I suppose the first thing to hit is frequently a shoulder.  Anyway, get well soon!

jon

timbley

bicycles and collar bones
    « Reply #87 on: 8 May 2005, 07:13 am »
    It's true. You reach an arm out while you're falling on a bicycle and watch out. That bone will snap. They say you should keep your hands on the bars while falling. But that's much easier said than done.

Reference Audio Mods

• http://www.referenceaudiomods.com
    bicycles
    « Reply #88 on: 8 May 2005, 07:43 am »
    Be Careful! I never broke a bone but took a bad fall on my Gary Fisher MB a couple years ago and it shook me up pretty bad. Also, collar bones crack easy in the car with seatbelts. I used to have a padding on mine, good thing I got into a roll over a long time ago and it saved from cracking my collar bone (and the fact I was wearing a triple fat goose jacket)....  Have Fun and be safe!

Rocket

bicycles
    « Reply #89 on: 8 May 2005, 11:30 pm »
    hi,

going to my sports doctor today for a second opinion.

the bone is cracked right thru and makes a horrible cracking/grinding noise when i move.

although it is painful injury i think i am lucky very i wasn't run over or had a more serious injury  :) .

regards rod

Reference Audio Mods

• http://www.referenceaudiomods.com
    bicycles
    « Reply #90 on: 9 May 2005, 07:25 pm »
    Hi Rod,

That cracking doesnt sound good! Get it checked out. Hope all is well with the recovery. I fractured my cheekbone in my face when I took a fall  a couple years ago and I get shivvers all over just thinking of that.   :|

Carlman

bicycles
    « Reply #91 on: 9 May 2005, 07:49 pm »
    How was this the 10th page out of 9?

http://www.mcmillancs.com/AC_issue/AC_postissue.htm

BikeWNC

bicycles
    « Reply #92 on: 10 May 2005, 12:19 am »
    I had a fun ride at the 3State - 3Mountain Century in Chattanooga this past Saturday.  This was my final long prep ride for the Assault on Mt Mitchell on the 20th.  The weather was great and I had a time of 6 hours on the bike and 6.5 overall.  

Unfortunately, there were a couple of serious wrecks and I wish the best to those cyclists for a speedy recovery.

Andy

goskers

bicycles
    « Reply #93 on: 17 May 2005, 08:55 pm »
    OK guys,

What bike should I buy, hardtail or otherwise, with a 750$ ceiling?

I don't do anything really serious but I still want the capabilities :)

Thanks for any opinions.

PhilNYC

bicycles
    « Reply #94 on: 17 May 2005, 09:58 pm »
    Quote from: goskers
    OK guys,

Thanks for any opinions.

You know...the answer is a lot like audio advice...you should try a couple and decide what you like.  Things to pay attention to are:

-How upright vs. laid-out do you want to be?  Upright will be more comfortable for tooling around town, but if you ever get into any kind of aggressive off-roading, you'll like being laid-out more.

-Frame material.  Not the only factor, but a very important factor in determining the stiffness/flexibility of the ride, as well as the overall weight of the bike.  Aluminum tends to be lighter and stiffer...lighter makes it easier up hills, stiffer tends to be harder on your bones and joints.  Steel is heavier but more forgiving.  (Maybe Aluminum is like solid state, and steel is like tubes!).  Other materials (carbon fiber, titanium) have their benefits, but are unlikely to be available in your price range.

-I haven't kept up with it in recent years, but it's my impression that pretty much everybody rides Shimano gearing.  Last I looked, there was trigger-shifters vs. gripshift.  Of the two, I like gripshifting better, because it's easier to shift multiple gears quickly.  Personally, I stiill like (and still use) thumbshifters over both, but I don't know who still makes them.

In this price range, I like bikes from Specialized...

Bingenito

bicycles
    « Reply #95 on: 17 May 2005, 11:20 pm »
    Phil,

I have a Specialized Rock Hopper and also like thumb shifting.

The grip shift never did it for me. I just cannot get used to it when you are trashing around in close quaters or catching big air.

jermmd

bicycles
    « Reply #96 on: 17 May 2005, 11:53 pm »
    Quote from: goskers
    OK guys,

Thanks for any opinions.

I just bought a Fezzari Abajo from Costco and it's pretty nice.  If you don't like it, Costco will take it back without question.  The Fezzari rep called me moments after it was dropped off to see if I was satisfied and encouraged me to call him if I had any questions.  Now that's nice.  I'm no bike expert so I really don't know how this bike compares to others but it sure beats my old KMart special.  Here's the link I posted earlier:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?prodid=11042400&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

brj

bicycles
    « Reply #97 on: 18 May 2005, 12:05 am »
    Quote from: Bingenito
    The grip shift never did it for me. I just cannot get used to it when you are trashing around in close quaters or catching big air.

I've got the SRAM X-9 grip shifters on my bike, and absolutely love them.  These are definitely not the grip shifters from 5 years ago.  Assuming your transmission is clean, the ability to traverse the entire cassette is wonderful!  I haven't had any problems in close quarters, but I can't speak to their behavior while "catching big air" as my cross-country type of riding doesn't find me dropping off of cliff edges! :)

As an aside, I've been very pleased with all of my SRAM components (shifters, cassette, rear derailleur).  I wasn't trying to avoid Shimano, but the only Shimano part on my bike is the front derailleur.  Shimano makes good stuff, but so far the SRAM seems at least as good and lower priced.

Rocket

bicycles
    « Reply #98 on: 18 May 2005, 02:13 am »
    Hi Rod,

That cracking doesnt sound good! Get it checked out. Hope all is well with the recovery. I fractured my cheekbone in my face when I took a fall a couple years ago and I get shivvers all over just thinking of that.

Hi,

The recovery is slow.  My doctor said they can put a plate in to assist healing of my collarbone but didn't recommend the procedure as it can cause complicatons.  Basically it can heal/mend the bones with my arm in a sling.  Apparently it will be okay in another 4 weeks.

I'm getting bored stupid as i haven't been out of the house for 6 days  :( .

regards rod

bundee1

bicycles
    « Reply #99 on: 18 May 2005, 04:39 am »
    Hey guys maybe you can help me out as well. I live in a semi ghetto neighborhood where a lot of bikes get stole. I want a $300 mountain bike that I can paint black and ride around to get in shape. Any suggestions? Im 5'11 180lbs. Any good place to get them in NYC?