bicycles

SET Man

bicycles
« Reply #160 on: 8 May 2006, 03:20 am »
Hey!

News from NYC:

http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_128175314.html

Victory for cycylists, rollers, runners and those who enjoy the Central Park in Manhattan and Prospect park in Brooklyn!

According to the news the Mayor just approved a ban on car traffic in both parks. Central Park open for car traffic in winter and certain time during Summer. Now it will be traffic free even more!

Well, this doesn't have much impact for me since I rarely go there during weekdays. But still good for those who do... now there is no need to watch out for those crazy infamous NYC yellow cabs!

Take care and ride safely,
Buddy :thumb:

SET Man

bicycles
« Reply #161 on: 9 May 2006, 02:27 am »
Hey!

Well, since this post is about bicycle. Here is the link to the NY 5 Boro Bike Tour... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=26813.msg248492#248492

Skynyrd

bicycles
« Reply #162 on: 12 May 2006, 01:12 am »
I got into cycling about 1993, when I was finally willing enough to go in debt to buy a "real" mountain bike after discovering some local Minneapolis trails on my Huffy.  I quickly realized that I would die because of mechanical failure should I continue to ride the Huffy.
So I spent $550 for a Univega Sport which still lives thanks to a friend who welds.  It is now my around-towner, Trail-A-Bike and Burley puller.  180mm XT cranks, 2.3" tires, stem riser for my old age, and platform pedals.  It rocks and there ain't two of these on the planet.  Like me, and that's what makes cycling such a beautiful thing--it's a completely positive invention of the industrial revolution and it's so personal.  Tweak your bike how you like it!
I often complain about road rides, as I don't like roadying. But I've got this Ritchey road bike I got from a friend that actually fits, and it rides like a dream!  Too bad road riding isn't my thing.  Dura-Ace 8 speed era frame and parts.  Every time I manage to ride this piece of over engineered, over-organized, uber competetive roady tripe, I smile.  And I wave to other people when I ride the Ritchey.  Truly a cardinal sin!

The bike stable I have purchased is generally dwindling--only about six rideable bicycles now.  But I've got a "real" job--at a bicycle parts wholesaler, (so you know I'm broke), and lotsa remodeling and a kid that gets a lot of my time and that's good.
 Riding is time consuming (certainly not the greatest cardio workout per time spent as our ever-organized culture demands).  I miss riding.  I really miss the land the most.  

My favorite riding places have been in the blufflands of the Mississippi in southeastern Minnesota.  There are few people around--roadies or mountain bikers, and waving is OK.

Skynyrd

kgabetong

• Http://www.kgabetong.se
bicycles
« Reply #163 on: 3 Jun 2006, 06:22 pm »
Hello
 I´m a newcomer in this forum and my writing is not the best..
I began my bicycle career about 1999 and has been hooked since then.
My bikes are Scott Scale40 and a Avanti team corsa pro /ultegra equipped,but i´m gonna upgrade soon to a Columbus F100 Fullcarbon.
Then i have an old Cyclepro road bike which i have built to singlespeed,but it is not working as i want it to work :( some problems with the chainlength.
Pictures are coming up soon.

SET Man

bicycles
« Reply #164 on: 4 Jun 2006, 01:42 am »
Quote from: kgabetong
Hello
 I´m a newcomer in this forum and my writing is not the best..
I began my bicycle career about 1999 and has been hooked since then.
My bikes are Scott Scale40 and a Avanti team corsa pro /ultegra equipped,but i´m gonna upgrade soon to a Columbus F100 Fullcarbon.
Then i have an old Cyclepro road bike which i have built to singlespeed,but it is not working as i want it to work :( some problems with the chainlength.
Pictures are coming up soon.

Hi,

Welcome to the AC! :D I'm very surprised that your first post on this audio forum site is about bicyle. :lol:

Nice bike you've got there... must be fun riding in the Sweden country side with the view. :D

Anyway, welcome to the AC!

Lost81

bicycles
« Reply #165 on: 10 Jun 2006, 10:42 am »
Hi guys and gals,

Hope you are all enjoying the cycling weather out there.

Here's a small sampling of pictures from my cycling blog:

Home Bay at dusk, Point Reyes

Deer Park Fire Road, Muir Woods

Old Stage Road, Mt. Tamalpais

Coast View Trail, Mt. Tamalpais

North Peak Access Road, Mt. Montara

North Peak Access Road, Mt. Montara

Montara Beach

Montara Beach

Photographer and sunset, Montara Beach

Happy trails!  :dance:

NealH

bicycles
« Reply #166 on: 10 Jun 2006, 01:36 pm »
Great photos "Lost81".  Makes me want to go visit those places.

Levi

bicycles
« Reply #167 on: 10 Jun 2006, 04:19 pm »
Excellent scenery.  It is good enough to be in Mountain Bike magazine!

SET Man

Re: bicycles
« Reply #168 on: 1 Jul 2006, 10:04 pm »
Hey!

Okay, guys. It is that time again. The 2006 Tour de France. :D I know it is not as exciting as the World Cup or Super Bolw :lol:

http://olntv.com/tdf

Anyway, Lance is no longer in. So who will be the next king of cycling? Let's wait and see.

Talking about cycling.... it is going to be in the near 90 degree tomorrow here in NYC. If is not raining I think I will go for a joy ride in the city for a while. :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #169 on: 1 Jul 2006, 10:21 pm »
Hey!

Okay, guys. It is that time again. The 2006 Tour de France. :D I know it is not as exciting as the World Cup or Super Bolw :lol:

http://olntv.com/tdf

Anyway, Lance is no longer in. So who will be the next king of cycling? Let's wait and see.

Talking about cycling.... it is going to be in the near 90 degree tomorrow here in NYC. If is not raining I think I will go for a joy ride in the city for a while. :wink:

Well with all the top people and a few of the top teams disqualified for using banned substances, this Tour de France is totally up for grabs.

Most of the US won't care or know though since Lance is retired...

George

Folsom

« Reply #170 on: 3 Jul 2006, 07:36 am »
Right now I have an old orange Schwin frame that probably needs to be repainted....

It is lugged and in great shape, the frame. The Chrome is great on it. As of so far I rebuilt the bottom bracket and headset. My next step is to buy a wheel set, crank arms and a stem. Oh yeah also I need a lockring and cog as well.

I am going fixed gear with IRO wheelset, cog, and lockring. I want a Nitto stem designed to bring the handlebars up a lot. That might be later down the road. I also thought about some mustache bars but I might just go ghetto bullhorns for now (cut with hacksaw).

Yeah I want nothing more than to ride my fixed gear around (which is not existant now) and work here in Missoula. When I have free time I like to spend it at Free Cycles, which is a place that lets people build bikes, fix them, etc, non-profit for the community. I help my friends, build my own or work on, and help others. Unfortunately if I do no aquire I job I will not be able to stay. It sucks that I have no bike to ride as well, I HATE driving a car around, and it is not my car. Nothing is worse than having to go back to my hometown though.

Oh yeah I need tires.... The worst part of it all. I want to bring my road bike here, but I need about $120 for tires and tubes. I tried some 175psi (160psi limited via my pump) 700cx23mm and they are to small for me and pop off the rim. My next step is 145psi (need a guage) 700cx25mm Grand Prix 4000. Supposidly they do not last forever but what am I suppose to do? The 700cx28mm I road on were the most miserable bike experience I had, and at anything less than 120psi they were useless.

Any ways, rant. I just thought I would chime in some more information; I really love bicycles.

I also got a free mountain bike I am going to turn into a single speed with a freewheel. I might have to use it for commuting :/ I really do not care for mountain bikes, I like road bikes even with aggressive tires or studs. 

You know what all of that means? My Peter Danial Premium 3875 (with BG's and Plitron 400va 24vx2), Marchard XM1 (upgrade to FC caps, op-amps are next), Marchard PS10, FR125s, Solid oak pieces, 2x something 150wRMS 4ohm plate amplifiers for two Dynaudio small subwoofers (for stereo subwoofers down to 20-23hz at -3db), some MDF, etc, is sitting, doing not a damn thing. I still need a volume control, lots of connectors, some wire, a DAC, USB to SPIDF, Cartridge for turntable, Phono pre, and who knows what else.

Yeah I am stretched THIN at the moment money and mentally. The never ending rant, that could go on a lot longer about many more things.

jlupine

Bicycles
« Reply #171 on: 13 Jul 2006, 01:44 pm »
I own two bicycles, a 1973 Motobecane Le Champion and one that uses a 1976 Tanguy frame.  I estimate that I've ridden the Motobecane about 30,000 miles; the only parts that I haven't replaced, multiple times in some cases, are the frame, handlebars, and crankarms.

At a rest stop around the 50-mile mark of a ride, I noticed that the fixed bottom-bracket cup had unscrewed.  I got a mechanic at one of the sag wagons to tighten it, but it unscrewed itself again in another 50 miles.  I've never had trouble with the adjustable cup.  I can understand that reversing the threads so that pedaling could tighten the adjustable cup could be a bad idea, but it makes more sense to me to risk tightening than loosening on the fixed-cup side.  The solution was to apply some paint to the threads to lock the cup in place.  After all these years, I'm going to be replacing the bottom bracket with a sealed model after getting the threads "Anglicized".

Jan 

Levi

« Reply #172 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:01 pm »
Hi Jan, is this your bike? 

I figured race level bike would last longer if maintained.  The paint technique always work with metal.  I am sure you thought about locktite.  Do you have a picture of the bike?

I own two bicycles, a 1973 Motobecane Le Champion and one that uses a 1976 Tanguy frame.  I estimate that I've ridden the Motobecane about 30,000 miles; the only parts that I haven't replaced, multiple times in some cases, are the frame, handlebars, and crankarms.

At a rest stop around the 50-mile mark of a ride, I noticed that the fixed bottom-bracket cup had unscrewed.  I got a mechanic at one of the sag wagons to tighten it, but it unscrewed itself again in another 50 miles.  I've never had trouble with the adjustable cup.  I can understand that reversing the threads so that pedaling could tighten the adjustable cup could be a bad idea, but it makes more sense to me to risk tightening than loosening on the fixed-cup side.  The solution was to apply some paint to the threads to lock the cup in place.  After all these years, I'm going to be replacing the bottom bracket with a sealed model after getting the threads "Anglicized".

Jan 

jlupine

Bicycles
« Reply #173 on: 13 Jul 2006, 10:09 pm »
On the road, paint is easier to find than LocTite;  moreover, I think that it's a little stronger.

Now, how do I attach a picture to a post ?

Levi

« Reply #174 on: 14 Jul 2006, 02:24 am »
1.Upload the picture into your gallery.
2.copy the link of a picture
3.Insert/paste using the icon above "insert picture".

jlupine

Bicycles
« Reply #175 on: 14 Jul 2006, 03:58 am »
The image that you attached looks similar to mine.

« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2006, 05:54 pm by jlupine »

ctviggen

« Reply #176 on: 14 Jul 2006, 08:58 am »
Why were the 700x28c useless and a bad experience?  These are all I ride on. I gave up on smaller tires a long time ago -- too harsh.  I also use around 100-110 psi in mine.  I'd even like to go a little bigger, but 700x28c tires can be hard to find.  Anyway, here's data from weekend ride two weeks ago.  I spent about 62 percent of the time at 80% of my max HR (about 186) or above.  This is the first 35 miles of my long rides, which will vary up to 90 miles.  The longer rides are more like the second half of this ride, which means long uphills punctured with large downhills.  The first part of this ride is all hills.  My average HR was 150, which is about 80% of my max HR.  The values for height are wrong (I keep forgetting to properly set my watch), but the profile and approximate elevation gained are not.  I'd be interested to see what others' average HRs are.  Has anyone tried the technique with using two shirts during the heat?  I read in one of the biking mags that this was supposed to be better than one shirt (the theory:  one shirt removes the sweat to the second shirt, which provides evaporation), but I think it's hogwash. Also, is anyone on a low carbohydrate diet while biking? 

Levi

« Reply #177 on: 14 Jul 2006, 02:02 pm »
Very nice graph Bob.  Which Polar device do you have?  I am thinking about getting one but there are so many. 

I installed a 1" @100-110psi tire on my mountain bike and I think it is too harsh for NYC riding.  I switched back to 1.25" @80 and the ride is much more forgiving.   

Folsom

« Reply #178 on: 14 Jul 2006, 06:32 pm »
I find the bigger and less pressure, to give a worse ride. If only solid rubber worked  :o .

I like my bumps done and gone, not waving me around like I am in the ocean.

My 700Cx23's at 150-160 PSI area are still the best ride I have ever had... They just will not stay on my rim. I need a guage... Oh well.

BikeWNC

« Reply #179 on: 14 Jul 2006, 08:42 pm »

My 700Cx23's at 150-160 PSI area are still the best ride I have ever had... They just will not stay on my rim. I need a guage... Oh well.

If your talking clinchers at that pressure, there's a risk of the rim failing.  Most clincher wheels are only rated to around 130 psi max.  Also, the tires themselves are mostly rated to around 120 psi or less with the few exceptions to 145 or so.  Regardless, unless you ride on some glass-like smooth roads less pressure will actually reduce the rolling resistance and increase forward speed.  Just my experience, but I think you should be careful with using lots of air pressure.

Andy