ZU Dirty Weekend

oskar

ZU Dirty Weekend
« on: 6 Dec 2021, 03:21 pm »
Hi all. I am considering the DW from ZU.
I've noticed lately that I listen at lower volume than in the past.
Might have to do with advancing years and that I listen later in the eve when everything is quieter.
I know ZU's can rock out; my question is how do they perform at lower levels?
Is there still detail and and fullness in the sound?
Any Zu owners care to chime in?
Thanks.

oskar

Re: ZU Dirty Weekend
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2021, 03:45 pm »
I might have posted this in the wrong circle.
Please move if appropriate.

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2021, 06:07 pm »
Not sure how low you're talking about.  For a year and a half, I listened almost exclusively at the lowest volume level I could while I was studying in the evenings in law school while my wife was trying to get my baby boy to sleep.  This was purely very low level background listening, as I had to concentrate on reading cases very carefully and taking detailed notes, so not looking for any distractions.

At those kinds of low levels, there was good detail, but I don't think the fullness was there.  But turned up a few more notches and fullness arrived.  I would say they do take a little bit of power/volume to come on song, but then scale very nicely from there up to louder volumes.  So it kind of depends on what you mean by low volume listening.

seikosha

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2021, 09:39 pm »
I’ve got the DW’s and Omegas.  For low level listening, I’d go with Omegas.

Bambudist

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2021, 11:23 pm »
Not sure how low you're talking about.  For a year and a half, I listened almost exclusively at the lowest volume level I could while I was studying in the evenings in law school while my wife was trying to get my baby boy to sleep.  This was purely very low level background listening, as I had to concentrate on reading cases very carefully and taking detailed notes, so not looking for any distractions.

At those kinds of low levels, there was good detail, but I don't think the fullness was there.  But turned up a few more notches and fullness arrived.  I would say they do take a little bit of power/volume to come on song, but then scale very nicely from there up to louder volumes.  So it kind of depends on what you mean by low volume listening.

I found this to be true as well.  If you are sitting at the correct level, in line with the tweeters that is, there is much more to the sound.  i have a low couch and that works well for those tweets which are placed low in that design.  More power seems to help low level listening detail too.

SDMF_Mark

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2021, 11:29 am »
The Zu DWs are history as of now.

oskar

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2021, 03:32 pm »
Well that's a kick in the head. I was going to send a deposit.
Next.

sa1126

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2021, 12:14 pm »
Get a used pair.  They sound great at low volume.  I listen to mine quite a bit with the family home and they are amazing even at a whisper.

thetakeout

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2021, 03:29 am »
I have both Omega's and Zu Omen DW.  Both are great low level performers.  The amp & volume control on the amp will play a big part in the equation. Ultimately higher efficiency speakers tend to bloom at lower volumes.  So speakers even more efficient than the Zu's or Omegas should perform even better at lower volumes. 

Again,  keep in mind that you need and amp that will bloom at low volumes also.  The volume control plays a big part in this.