What are the top speakers for low wattage systems?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: What are the top speakers for low wattage systems?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2019, 06:52 pm »
the Forte III

Another speaker with an ugly impedance curve.

And in this case, unlikely to be a good match for a high output impedance amplifier.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2019, 06:57 pm »
Devore 0/96's?

More ugly impedance.

The FR looks like it will be further exagerated thru the 1k-ish range.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #22 on: 19 Sep 2019, 07:02 pm »
The best solution is a 4-5 inch driver with a subwoofer (or 4) added.

+1

A subwoofer can be used, but i prefer to use them below the bass coupler so that better synergy between the woofer & the midTweeter is possible.

A WAW. Like this:

Use of almost any amplifier no matter what the output impedance can be used on the midTweeter if you bi-amp.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #23 on: 19 Sep 2019, 07:08 pm »
SONIST -CONCERTO 4

Impedance peak will cause a rise in FR between about 1 k & 8k if used with a high output impedance amplifier.

dave

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: 19 Sep 2019, 08:23 pm »
I believe you're showing the measurements for the 3 not the 4. Regardless, did you read J.A.s comments?

"....The tweeter is almost 5dB too low in level in the octave above the crossover frequency—this will be compensated for when the speaker is driven by a tube amplifier having a high source impedance—but returns to full level above 6kHz and to an increased level above 15kHz. How this affects sound quality will also depend on the speaker's radiation pattern. The Sonist's horizontal dispersion, normalized to the quasi-anechoic response on its tweeter axis, is shown in fig.5. The off-axis behavior is surprisingly even, though a notch develops to the speaker's sides at the frequency of the on-axis peak at the top of the woofer's passband. There are also some off-axis peaks at the frequencies where the tweeter has some on-axis notches. All of this means that the room's reverberant field is not going to be as uneven or colored as you might expect from the on-axis response....."

Anyone using transformer coupled SET tube amplifiers probably isn't too concerned with accuracy of reproduction anyway. These particular speakers were designed to be used with amplifiers that have higher output impedance.

rodge827

« Reply #25 on: 24 Sep 2019, 11:29 am »
I have a pair of Charney Audio horns built on the tractrix theory. All his horns will mate well with low power amps, tube and solid state. Charney is in Somerset NJ and will do auditions on request. Well worth the visit and time.

http://charneyaudio.com/  Click on the "Part-Time Audiophile" link and read what John Richardson has to say about his visit.

lokie

« Reply #26 on: 24 Sep 2019, 03:21 pm »
Mine!
DIY 2 way Altec CD and Horn and Jensen 15" Woofer all from the 1950's.
98db 16ohms.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2019, 11:11 am »
A friend has Horning Perikles Ultimates (96 dB/w/m, 40-20,000 Hz, 3-way that use a Lowther driver for extended midrange use with the whizzer cone removed to eliminate the midrange honk/forwardness).  Don't know if they're still available but can't wait to hear them.  Thorsten Loesch was quite taken by them.

displayname

« Reply #28 on: 2 Oct 2019, 09:36 pm »
What about Devore 0/96's?  I keep reading stunning reviews of them.  Of course, that doesn't make them great, but I have yet to see much criticism of them.
I would love to hear these or the o/93. The 93 is a little more realistic on pricing for me, but it's enough where I wouldn't pull the trigger on them blindly. I know a dealer semi near has an o/96 in  house. If I was ready to make a purchase I would certainly give them an audition.

My amp is an PSET that can switch between 10w and 20w (pendtode), so the Devore Gibbon lines might even be a good fit in my system, but I'd still need to hear them first.

wspohn

« Reply #29 on: 4 Oct 2019, 05:13 pm »
Given that when people are talking about low wattage systems they are saying they want to use an SE tube amp.

That question struck me as soon as I looked at this forum - it appears that everyone assumes that the discussion is tube amp only.

I've had power amps that are low output - Classe DR3 at 25 watts, and a friend owned Mark Levinson ML-2 which I regretfully failed to talk him into selling that would run speakers that would make many low output tube amps wilt.  My 40 watt Classe DR3 VHCs put out only 40 watts (beyond the scope of this section) but bridged will put out 500 watts into a 1 ohm load (guy I bought them from was running them that way into 1 ohm configured Apogee Scintillas.

Am I correct in deducing that this sort of power amp isn't the discussion target for this section? (nor would my main system amp qualify, for although running tubes, it outputs a gargantuan 70 watts per channel!)

guf

« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2019, 06:43 pm »
I'm using a pair of Klipsch La Scalas with Thomas Mayer 45 amps. 1.5 watts.  more than happy listening and never maxing out the volume.  I have other more powerful amps including LM 300b and a first watt j2.  I'm way happier with one beautiful sounding watt from the thomas mayer

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #31 on: 4 Oct 2019, 09:56 pm »
That question struck me as soon as I looked at this forum - it appears that everyone assumes that the discussion is tube amp only.

I've had power amps that are low output - Classe DR3 at 25 watts, and a friend owned Mark Levinson ML-2 which I regretfully failed to talk him into selling that would run speakers that would make many low output tube amps wilt.  My 40 watt Classe DR3 VHCs put out only 40 watts (beyond the scope of this section) but bridged will put out 500 watts into a 1 ohm load (guy I bought them from was running them that way into 1 ohm configured Apogee Scintillas.

Am I correct in deducing that this sort of power amp isn't the discussion target for this section? (nor would my main system amp qualify, for although running tubes, it outputs a gargantuan 70 watts per channel!)

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105282.0

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #32 on: 4 Oct 2019, 11:11 pm »
...25 watts…  40 watt ...70 watts...

I think that for the purposes of this discussion most amps are well below 10w. A Pass ACA at 5-8w would be a qualifying SS amp.

dave

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 4 Oct 2019, 11:22 pm »
I'm using a pair of Klipsch La Scalas with Thomas Mayer 45 amps. 1.5 watts.  more than happy listening and never maxing out the volume.  I have other more powerful amps including LM 300b and a first watt j2.  I'm way happier with one beautiful sounding watt from the thomas mayer

Hey, we have almost the same system!  My upstairs system uses a pair of Forte III speakers (little brother of the La Scala) and a Tube Audio Lab Type 45 which is a poor-man's version of the circuit the Thomas Mayer uses.  I've had a ton of other amps go through my system, but I keep coming back to the 1.5 watt Type 45 amp.  There's something about it that just sounds real.

SET Man

« Reply #34 on: 5 Oct 2019, 01:58 am »
I have a pair of Charney Audio horns built on the tractrix theory. All his horns will mate well with low power amps, tube and solid state. Charney is in Somerset NJ and will do auditions on request. Well worth the visit and time.

http://charneyaudio.com/  Click on the "Part-Time Audiophile" link and read what John Richardson has to say about his visit.

Hey!

Back in 2015 at the NY Audio Show I heard, I think the same exact model and drivers you have there. Even though it was in a hotel room, I was impressed with the sound from those speakers and as a system. And I was pretty sure that  they will sound even better when set up right in a better room. Definitely worth checking them out for anyone looking for a single driver speaker system. 

Buddy

dburna

« Reply #35 on: 5 Oct 2019, 02:23 am »
Mine!
DIY 2 way Altec CD and Horn and Jensen 15" Woofer all from the 1950's.
98db 16ohms.

I bet these sound great. What kind of crossover do these have? Who designed them?

-dGB

rodge827

« Reply #36 on: 5 Oct 2019, 11:18 am »
Hey!

Back in 2015 at the NY Audio Show I heard, I think the same exact model and drivers you have there. Even though it was in a hotel room, I was impressed with the sound from those speakers and as a system. And I was pretty sure that  they will sound even better when set up right in a better room. Definitely worth checking them out for anyone looking for a single driver speaker system. 

Buddy

Buddy great to see you here on AC again  8). Yes those are the exact horns you listened to at the 2015 NY Audio Show. Charney did a few needed minor improvements and sold them to me as demos a few months later. Thanks for the kind words.

Chris

AndrewA

« Reply #37 on: 7 Oct 2019, 09:33 pm »
Surprised that there hasn't been (any) discussion of Audio Note.  I was really impressed with the N when I auditioned them.

lokie

« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2019, 05:02 pm »
I bet these sound great. What kind of crossover do these have? Who designed them?

-dGB
I made the xovers based on JE Labs design.

drugolf

« Reply #39 on: 1 Dec 2019, 03:47 pm »
I made the xovers based on JE Labs design.

Nicely done.  What CD you have on the 32 horn?